Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5717 (Trends)

Reviewed by:LizzM26

About LizzM26star
VA USA
Member since: 8/19/08
Posted on:9/27/08 10:22 PM
Last Updated:10/18/08 7:06 PM

See other patterns in this category: Outerwear

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

startwearingpurple said... (12/17/08 1:19 PM) Reply
Please could you tell me how the ruffle is made- i was looking at the picture but ive seen many different ways of making ruffles and not sure which one to use. thanks!
Athene said... (10/19/08 2:31 PM) Reply
A very nice coat - I'm in agreement with KozyKitty - try a muslin and use the finish measurements listed on the back of the pattern envelope to determine a better size. McCalls does seem to run really big a lot of the time.
Tiner W said... (10/18/08 8:48 AM) Reply
Nice! I love the plaid! Once people know that you sew, they will pretty much always ask you if you've made what you're wearing. That's usually a compliment because they're assuming you can make anything.
KozyKitty said... (9/29/08 12:54 PM) Reply
I noticed that you were frustrated with the sizing. One thing I've learned when using McCall's patterns is that I cannot go by the body measurements they give you for a particular size. Your garment will be huge! I look at the bottom of the pattern where it gives the actual garment measurements. I usually figure out how much ease I want and make the appropriate size. Sometimes this means that a garment may be one size at the bust, a different one at the waist and a different one at the hips! Perhaps making a muslin for your next McCalls pattern will help. You can do the alterations on the muslin then you will be able to alter the pattern before cutting the fashion fabric! I think this coat looks cute in the plaid. I found it to be a very versatile pattern!
Beek said... (9/28/08 12:17 PM) Reply
Thanks for the honest review. Your coat is cute, no matter what!
Clareew said... (9/28/08 8:24 AM) Reply
A wonderful coat for your first attempt.
Clareew said... (9/28/08 8:24 AM) Reply
A wonderful coat for your first attempt.
sewtime said... (9/27/08 10:43 PM) Reply
It is a cute coat. I think if you wear it a few times you might feel different about it. I have this pattern on my must have list.

by: Dellia45