Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2880 (Belleville SassoonMisses Dress)

Reviewed by:arianamaniacs

About arianamaniacsstarstarstarstar
Austria
Member since: 6/11/04
Posted on:9/30/08 7:37 AM
Last Updated:9/30/08 8:02 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
Graciella Maria said... (10/19/14 2:46 PM) Reply
Your dress is absolutely lovely! I'm making this pattern for my neice. I'm using white lace over ivory, as she wants a two-tone wedding dress. I agree that this pattern is one size smaller. I'm making her a size larger for the bodice, with the smaller size over the 'off the shoulder' area. She loves boning, so it's on the shoulder area also. This is my first wedding dress. Hope it's not my last. Making these beautiful gowns is so much fun.
canyonlady67 said... (5/17/10 8:11 PM) Reply
I tried sending you a PM, but I'm a free member, so I couldn't send it. I am making this for myself for my wedding gown. Instead of omitting the boning on the arms, I intend to break the boning at the top...by the shoulder seams...and put in a short section of elastic. From your experience, do you think this would work and look ok? Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
Passion4Sewing said... (9/3/09 8:54 AM) Reply
Your review has helped me STRONGLY consider using another pattern. I am taking a salsa dancing class and we will have a dinner/dance at the end and I thought I would treat myself to a new dress. Hmmmm...maybe not this one. But then, again, it is GORGEOUS! Nicely done, in spite of all the hours!
Ariadne said... (5/18/09 2:26 PM) Reply
really beautiful. Thanks for the time estimate, and the notion of calling in a professional for that one critical bit- the zipper.
novice1mom said... (11/4/08 12:26 PM) Reply
wow!! It came out very beutiful indeed. Exactly like the pic on the pattern
AnneM said... (10/19/08 11:05 AM) Reply
Very nice, your efforts gave good results. (Silk chiffon probably would have been stronger. Perhaps it wa because it was a big snug.) As an A cup, I generally find stles like this don't work for me. But really it looks lovely on your friend in the picture. Good for you to call in the professionals rather than get frustrated on the zipper.
Blooms said... (10/5/08 9:03 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous. Well done
cindyann said... (10/1/08 8:13 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!
Kitty Couture said... (10/1/08 4:57 AM) Reply
Stunning dress!
Nancy Anne said... (9/30/08 6:11 PM) Reply
You were so brave to actually attempt and then complete a Vogue formal, IMHO. And it turned out just beautiful, despite all off your issues. Just curious- where did you finally wind up finding fabric for it?
Twinset said... (9/30/08 5:18 PM) Reply
I've always admired this pattern! I think you're very brave and courageous to have attempted it, and the great results are certainly worth all the time and patience you put in it. It's a great dress!
Meggie LuLu said... (9/30/08 5:01 PM) Reply
WOW!!! What a BEAUTIFUL dress!!! You did an excellent job!!!
lilyofthevalley said... (9/30/08 2:33 PM) Reply
Very beautiful dress, and tons of work which makes you a very good friend, indeed. Photo still not working but looks like it might be a photo site glitch. I had never heard of Belleville Sassoon patterns but if this is an example, wow! Lovely, Lily
arianamaniacs said... (9/30/08 1:21 PM) Reply
Unfortunately, I sewed this dress in summer 2007, when there weren't any reviews for it. I am just a little tardy in writing my own review ;) It seems Geocities was doing some maintenance, the picture should be viewable now...
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (9/30/08 1:11 PM) Reply
OMG! It's the most gorgeous dress ever. I am so impressed. Wonderful sewing.
wendlesue said... (9/30/08 11:32 AM) Reply
I soooooo love this dress. Just beautiful! BTW A previous reviewer who made the dress also removed the boning. I think she said that elastic worked well to keep things in place, and was softer and more comfy than the boning over the shoulders.
KrystalL said... (9/30/08 11:23 AM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Annette1 said... (9/30/08 11:09 AM) Reply
Oh my GOSH, you went to a LOT of work on this BEAUTIFUL dress! I'm always SO intrigued by the Belleville Sassoon patterns. They're the cream of the crop, as far as I'm concerned. I wish I could get the picture to come up bigger, but I'll try again later. It looks just BEAUTIFUL. You've got one VERY LUCKY friend. :o)
Terri A said... (9/30/08 10:25 AM) Reply
Lots of work - great job! The color is wonderful.
dbsewer said... (9/30/08 8:57 AM) Reply
I can't pull the picture up but from the thumbnail it looks gorgeous.
Marji said... (9/30/08 8:57 AM) Reply
Very impressive, especially that you made this for a friend. Wonderfully done, and extremely generous. (BTW, your picture link is not working.)

by: Sheila457