Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5107 (Bistro Jacket)

Viewed 2026 times
Reviewed by:Tee Jay

About Tee Jaystar
TX USA
Posted on:9/7/03 0:02 AM
Last Updated:9/14/03 9:20 AM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Sweater knit fabrics

Sew'n'go said... (3/18/04 1:50 PM) Reply
Like Tee Jay, I had trouble with steps 9 & 12, running a gathering stitch and pulling it lightly. I think I must be doing something wrong. While Tee Jay managed to create a smooth front with her stiff fabric, my gathering looks like ruffles! For the life of me, I can't figure out why! Maybe I've got the wrong side of the collar? Wahhhhhh! I feel like such a dummy!
Lisa Laree said... (10/6/03 9:41 AM) Reply
Great review! I keep looking at this pattern and wondering if I really need another one of Loes' jacket patterns (I think I have 3 already), but it looks good on you (and I think we're shaped very similarly)...maybe I do need another one.... Also, great idea to wear a contrasting underlayer for the photo! I need to remember that one!
Tee Jay said... (9/14/03 3:56 PM) Reply
Thank so much for your comments--Note to self:" continue to include fuzzy pictures--makes me look younger!"
Alana Robson said... (9/14/03 3:43 PM) Reply
An excellent review, thank you.
Elona said... (9/14/03 2:05 PM) Reply
Thanks for the photo. This looks so cute on you, and it also looks astonishingly like the pattern photo! That's uncommon, for sure.
Marita Kinnula said... (9/14/03 1:48 PM) Reply
A very good and thorough review, your jacket looks so good, the color suits you well. 50? no way !!!! I also like the idea of adding a little something to the shoulder area if not a shoulder pad directly, it gives the shoulder area some definition and makes it look more professional.
Mini said... (9/14/03 11:05 AM) Reply
Tee Jay, making the petite adjustment to this pattern will help immensly. Measuring the pattern pieces to get the fullest parts of the pattern aligned with the fullest parts of the wearer's figure is essential. The pattern envelope gives you only the horizontal measuremnts at bust, waist and hip. This is not enough. All vertical measurements- shoulder to waist in front and back, armhole depth etc-must also be checked and adjusted to suit your height. The "pulling" you mentioned in the sleeve caps will probably disappear when the armhole is raised.
Diane E said... (9/14/03 10:46 AM) Reply
Tee Jay, I love your jacket and cannot wait to see your next one. Sounds like you've got a terrific coach in your sewing teacher. I agree, "petite-ing" makes a huge difference, and I agree with Georgene, the little shoulder pads add an oomph that's hard to describe. Sewingplace carries Loes's favorite little pads and they are very reasonably priced (1.50/each, I think?). I buy ten at a time (since I have so many "tests".....). Thanks to you I can't wait to try this pattern, which has been stashed lovingly since it came out.
mudcat said... (9/14/03 10:07 AM) Reply
The jacket looks great.
Julia Graham said... (9/14/03 10:04 AM) Reply
Tee Jay, your jacket looks great, and I can't _believe_ you're 50! You look about 32 in that picture.
Sew it seams said... (9/8/03 9:29 AM) Reply
I would love to see this as well! It sounds beautiful.
AnneM said... (9/7/03 7:47 PM) Reply
Tee Jay, good review. Glad you had this success to pull you through the other mistake. (Remember - it's just material!) This is a pretty jacket. I've not tried any of her patterns. Any chance of a picture?
Karen Bowers said... (9/7/03 5:23 PM) Reply
thanks for a thorough review and a great short novel!
Tee Jay said... (9/7/03 4:45 PM) Reply
Kathi s, you give me more credit than my sewing skills allow. I don't know about other material, I do know that other people discussing this jacket in the LH thread in SW mentioned they thought it did better in firmer fabric, You could look back there or ask same question. There are really good interfacings that you could use to give a soft fabric more body but whether your fabric needs it I don't know. A lady at Grapevine Collection in Colleyvile TX likes the Retro jacket in drapey fabrics.
kathi s said... (9/7/03 12:48 PM) Reply
Tee Jay, thanks for the great review! I've been looking at this pattern for ever and just waiting for someone else to try it. I have been thinking about making it in brushed rayon or silk- do you think that light fabric would work?
Julia Graham said... (9/7/03 11:42 AM) Reply
Tee Jay, I remember you noting on one of my reviews that you and I have very similar body types (which we do, from description) -- but this makes me especially anxious to see a picture, if possible! I really admire LH patterns and all the good feedback they get. She seems to be really talented at subtle shaping.
jlg said... (9/7/03 6:08 AM) Reply
Tee Jay, great review. I'm glad to see your first review on PR. Would love to see a picture. You are inspiring me to pull my pattern out and give it a try.
MaryBeth said... (9/7/03 4:48 AM) Reply
Would love to see a picture of you in your jacket especially after hearing all the difficulties you faced with the material. I look forward to your next go round with this pattern and with the analysis you've done on this garment you should be very satisfied.
Georgene said... (9/7/03 0:56 AM) Reply
Excellent review! Thanks for noting all your difficulties. I'm sure the next one will go together better. I've noticed that LH patterns tend to run small in the bicep area and really do need some kind of shoulder pad to fit properly while working on fit with others. If you don't want pads you may have to redo the shoulder seam and sleeve cap. Even a little nothing pad that is just a shaper helps a lot with the fit.

More Knits