Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2877 (DKNY)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:11/20/08 4:27 PM
Last Updated:11/21/08 1:32 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
hmacski said... (11/22/08 7:51 PM) Reply
Hi Ann: Perhaps it's the photo, perhaps it's the resolution on my monitor. I admire the fashion risks you take and your slightly off-beat but always classy choices. Maybe this one just doesn't work for me. I do seem to be in the minority. Oh well...a chacun son gout!
carolynw said... (11/22/08 9:24 AM) Reply
It's really beautiful Ann and as usual you look tres chic!!
Ann Smith said... (11/22/08 0:46 AM) Reply
Cecile and Winifred, the pattern for the top is one I downloaded 5 or so years ago from a website that no longer is in operation. I call it the 15 minute top as it takes about that long to make including cutting out. It has no edge finishes and 3 short seams. I don't think it is available any where. A similar design is from Lyla Messinger, the Seaside T. My top has only one side seam and an asymmetric bottom curve but they are very similar.
solosmocker said... (11/21/08 9:10 PM) Reply
Gorgeous skirt. I love how the rayon lace drapes.
Winifred said... (11/21/08 6:12 PM) Reply
This is far from dowdy Anne, as you say lace is in and a more fancy design would draw attention away from the beautiful fabric. I too would like the pattern no for the top !
LindsayT said... (11/21/08 4:41 PM) Reply
Really wonderful skirt, Ann. I think this is a timeless keeper.
persevering said... (11/21/08 4:37 PM) Reply
Ann, Your skirt is georgous! I think you are the right track looking for a different top - my daughter taught me that a tight garment needs to be matched with a loose garment & vice versa. (Loose & loose can look dowdy and tight & tight can look unsuitable. )Shop your closet again - if no match - I suggest a rather fitted, one color, short top /classic & simple / just make sure the fabric doesn't cling badly. Your skirt is pretty, what you match it with will make all the difference. Good luck!
Ann Smith said... (11/21/08 2:45 PM) Reply
hmacski, Perhaps it looks better in person. I hope so. I did receive lots of compliments when I wore this but those were ladies in my generation. Maybe you have to be 6' and size 0 like these ladies in the Prada runway show http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/F2008RTW-PRADA/?loop=0&iphoto=17&play=false&cnt=19 and http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/F2008RTW-PRADA/?loop=0&iphoto=35&play=false&cnt=39
hmacski said... (11/21/08 1:51 PM) Reply
This is a rare miss from someone with otherwise great taste. Sorry, Ann. You absolutely rock but this lace skirt doesn't do you justice. It's kind of dowdy.
DorothyK said... (11/20/08 8:26 PM) Reply
Beautiful job, as usual. It would have been a shame not to use the scalloped edges. With black, it makes a very smart outfit.
Barbara V said... (11/20/08 7:58 PM) Reply
It's a gorgeous skirt! Even though the piping was a bit fussy to do I agree that it tied it together and added another dimension. The scallop edge detail is perfect!
moushka said... (11/20/08 7:26 PM) Reply
Très chic, Ann, the black underlining for the lace really takes it to another level. Beautiful work, as usual. Thanks for another inspiring review.
Karendee said... (11/20/08 6:28 PM) Reply
Extremely smart looking skirt.
sewtime said... (11/20/08 6:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt!!
Kellie R. said... (11/20/08 5:13 PM) Reply
This is very pretty. Taking the extra time for the piping was a good call - it looks just beautiful and ties together well. Great job.
Cecile Owens said... (11/20/08 5:08 PM) Reply
Lovely outfit. Would love to have the pattern number for the top. Keep up the great work!! I really value your reviews.
Beek said... (11/20/08 4:30 PM) Reply