Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2007-104

Last Updated:1/4/09 0:09 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 11 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Nancywin said... (1/4/09 5:47 PM) Reply
How fun. I would also like to try my hand at faux fur. Thanks for the very helpful review!
Immelu said... (1/4/09 11:54 AM) Reply
I love the jacket and thanks for all the great tips!
reneeb4930 said... (1/4/09 11:28 AM) Reply
great coat, great review.
sewtime said... (1/4/09 10:59 AM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful coat!!
solosmocker said... (1/4/09 10:04 AM) Reply
Fabulous Coat! You have my utmost respect for working with faux fur in such an involved garment. Your review is great with all it's info. Thanks for all the info.
dbsewer said... (1/4/09 9:24 AM) Reply
Gorgeous coat, but I have to disagree about the walking foot. I made a faux Persian lamb coat (review posted here on PR) and without the walking foot I could never have kept the seams aligned. Even with the foot it was rough going. I recommend a walking foot if you are going to work with fabric as dense as faux fur, or else baste all your seams together because it's nearly impossible to keep them from slipping in the machine. I gave myself 1/2" sa and didn't find it difficult to maintain. However, faux lamb doesn't have the fluffy pile of your fabric so the sa isn't as hard to see. Great looking coat and review.
fuzzygalore said... (1/4/09 7:38 AM) Reply
A single-edged razor blade would work, but I've had better luck with an xacto knife, same principle. And I like best Sandra Betzina's seam method, where you zig-zag the edge and open the seams, much less hair mess that way. Good looking coat, you're inspiring me to tackle this year's project :-).
Jolet said... (1/4/09 7:12 AM) Reply
Looks great, especially the tip about the washing of the fabric I liked!!
squirrellypoo said... (1/4/09 6:39 AM) Reply
I am SO glad you've posted everything you learned here because I just bought some goreous faux fur last week for my first fur jacket. So many of these tips are helpful, and as an example, I was planning on using my walking foot so I'm glad you spared me that!
merteuil said... (1/4/09 3:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! Thanks for the great review!
minggiddylooloo said... (1/4/09 2:05 AM) Reply
Extremely detailed review, I look forward to using these hints when I tackle my upcoming faux fur project!
marec said... (1/4/09 1:04 AM) Reply
Great review-thank you.
Sherril Miller said... (1/4/09 0:50 AM) Reply
I really like your coat. I wish I could find a raglan sleeved coat that actually has darts in a plus size. Your review was very helpful for someone sewing fur for the first time.
Athene said... (1/4/09 0:48 AM) Reply
You have a fabulous coat and thank you so much for all the helpful tips in your review. I'm adding it to my favorites so I can refer to your techniques.
kathleencramer said... (1/4/09 0:17 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! What a nice pattern and shape it has. You should be proud to wear this. I also enjoyed reading about the various tecniques you tried out. Thanks for a great review. Nicely done.
figtree said... (1/1/09 3:57 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, very nice coat, looks warm too! Would you say the faux fur was easier or more difficult to work with than wool? Just wondering :) thanks

Understanding Knit Fabrics