Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4518 (McCall's)

Reviewed by:FreyaStark

More Info provided by FreyaStark

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Mens - Shirts
Fabric:Cotton  [See other projects in this fabric]
SORRY, ALL! NO CHANGES TO THIS REVIEW, JUST UPDATING THE PHOTOS, AND I FORGOT TO CHECK THAT LITTLE BOX!

Pattern description:
Misses', men's and teen boys' shirts.

Pattern sizing:
Small–Medium–Large–XLarge–XXLarge

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, although very long-winded. The hard part is finding the relevant pages because there are 8 pages of instructions, including on how to do an FBA and how to do tissue fitting. When you eventually get to them, the instructions are good.
My only criticism is the method of making the yoke, which is the old-fashioned standard, with handsewing on the inside. There is a better method whereby you attach inside and outside yoke pieces by machine, then turn the last front seam, stitch it by machine, turn it through and end up with a much neater and stronger finish, without handsewing or visible stitching on the outside. Given that this pattern seems to be almost a shirt-making tutorial, it's a pity that version wasn't used as people would be glad to know it.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the fact that it was so straightforward and seemed to be true to size. I wanted to make shirts for Christmas for my brothers without telling them and without fitting (I just asked their sizes and made some observations), and an equivalent Vogue pattern (Vogue 7094, now OOP) was very over-sized, making it harder for me to gauge the right sizes. So I chose this one, and it seems to have been a success.

Fabric used:
The red tiger print in the main photo is a cotton poplin from the oriental section of Hawaiian Fabric (www.hawaiianfabric.com), now discontinued. I bought it 2-3 years ago but decided it wouldn't suit me, so it stayed in my stash, until I realised my younger brother could probably carry it off as it's a large-scale pattern, and he is powerfully built and has a sense of humour.
The other one, for my elder brother, is a black, blue and white print with island motifs also from Hawaiian Fabric. I've made another for my elder brother in blue and green also with island motifs.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I shortened the sleeve by an inch (2cm) in my elder brother's version and took in a bit of fullness in the sleeve because it's exceptionally baggy. I didn't bother for my younger brother as he is more muscular. The overall length also seemed excessive so I shortened both shirts in the body by about an inch (2cm).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I don't think I would make it for myself, although it's a nice classic cut and it would fit me if I did an FBA, but I have other favourite shirt patterns that don't need alteration. I certainly recommend it for anyone who wants a nice straightforward casual shirt for men and boys. It would suit women with boyish figures or who didn't mind having to alter the pattern, e.g. by doing an FBA.
It also includes instructions for other types of alteration.
It's good for beginners because the instructions are clear. Note, however, that doing a tissue fit (emphasized in the instructions) is not essential, especially if you have no great figure problems. Checking your measurements against the tissue might be enough.
Note also that the 2 hours assembly time is misleading. It refers to machining only, and not to laying out, cutting out, pinning, pressing and so on.
[EDITED TO ADD:] I have since made another for my elder brother.

Conclusion: A nice one if you want a plain, simple classic shirt.

Rhoda K said... (3/16/15 2:18 PM) Reply
Nice shirts and choice of fabrics. I'm sure your brothers are enjoying them.
carolynw said... (3/16/15 11:02 AM) Reply
I looked at the pictures before reading your review and thought "whaaat - she just made three of these?". Lucky brothers. Thanks for the review as I have this pattern and need to make some shirts for DH!
Manalto said... (3/16/15 6:27 AM) Reply
Beautiful job. I've made this pattern many times for myself, usually in the long sleeve (I substitute a standard cuff placket). It works well with "serious" fabrics too - sedate cotton, linen, rayon, silk. Nothing is more comfortable than the short-sleeved version; it's the classic camp shirt. Women look great in this style too, particularly in white - crisp and clean.
mm said... (3/16/15 4:51 AM) Reply
You make very good shirts. Great Christmas present.
renren said... (11/19/10 8:58 PM) Reply
Very fine shirts and the fabric is a perfect pairing to pattern and also to the brothers. Blue is my favorite color, but those tigers are awesome! Great review!
Mebber said... (6/22/09 9:15 AM) Reply
Great review on a shirt pattern suitable for large prints. I have a stash from Hawaiianfabrics.com too and will make this for my son. Thanks.
Mufffet said... (5/30/09 3:47 PM) Reply
Nice! Love that fabric!
kes said... (1/28/09 1:27 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this! Your's looks great! I like how there is a yoke, so many don't have that - it's the perfect pattern I have been looking for, to replace my husband's favorite shirt. I'm glad to hear how this pattern worked for you.
katie lynne said... (12/28/08 5:08 PM) Reply
Your execution is superb all the way around; from fabric selection and for whom to use it, your blind alterations, and sheer workmanship. Your review is so helpful--I've been wanting to make this up for my husband, and now I feel armed and ready, thanks to you! Lovely, lovely job indeed.
RuthieSews said... (12/27/08 12:50 PM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous! I love both shirts, and can see how you have tailored the fabric choices to the guys!
Heatherrique said... (12/26/08 11:10 AM) Reply
Fabulous looking! Looks great on your model!
fourkid said... (12/26/08 8:59 AM) Reply
Wonderful shirt!
Chris Kelly said... (12/26/08 2:31 AM) Reply
Love the fabric!! Great job.
Izzie said... (12/25/08 4:49 PM) Reply
Great shirt! Love the fabric you chose.
Nancy Rhodes said... (12/25/08 1:33 PM) Reply
Lucky Brothers! Well done!
sewtime said... (12/25/08 10:33 AM) Reply