Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 01-2009-106B (Trendy Top)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:1/22/09 5:14 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
Deepika said... (5/21/09 1:53 PM) Reply
Hi Erika, yes it is indeed a hand painted scarf. My friend donna teaches it in her studio here in Massachusetts.
akir said... (5/13/09 11:20 AM) Reply
Hi Deepkia, Very pretty. I think I have to have this pattern. What I'm really writing about, though, is the scarf. Do I detect a hand-painted silk scarf? I'm a silk painter so the scarf really caught my eye. I enjoy the site even though I don't contribute much. Erika Stewart
cindy-lou said... (1/29/09 9:42 AM) Reply
I LOOOOOOOOVE your version! Wish it were mine!
Karen8320 said... (1/28/09 7:19 PM) Reply
Nice work, Deepika. Both the design of this top and the color suit you really well.
Deepika said... (1/24/09 10:56 AM) Reply
You know what? Last night I started sewing another Burda WOF top and it's possible that my fabric may have been the culprit. Even though the pattern I am sewing is different, everything is working out so smoothly. Because the fabric has lycra in it. It's really good quality stuff. So I would not be surprised if I made this top again in a good fabric, it might just simply work. And I must add that I should have stabilized the shoulders and I didnt'. I was really taking the muslin thing too seriously. Thanks for such wonderful comments on my top. I do like this color a lot. I have sewn two more tops in the same color! this one and and this
CrescentaLuna said... (1/24/09 2:16 AM) Reply
Let me chime in with: That color is fantastic on you!
ElsaD said... (1/24/09 0:26 AM) Reply
Beautiful top and colour. You may be able to avoid copying another sleeve cap design. If you followed the BWOF instructions and sewed all the side seams before putting in the sleeve, my suggestion is to follow the KwikSew knit method instead. Would suggest that after you sew the shoulder seams and the beautiful gathers on the sleeves, then attach the sleeves to the body, then sew up the side and sleeve seams together (if the sleeve design allows). I used to faithfully follow the BWOF sleeve instructions on knits and inevitably ended up with the similar ease problem - gathers where I didn't want them. Using the KwikSew method to insert the sleeves is much easier plus I no longer get the gathers. The BWOF shaping of the sleeves seem to lend themselves to the KS/serger method. HTH
janet said... (1/23/09 8:44 PM) Reply
You are just a CUTIE PIE! Love your top--now I have to buy this issue of BWOF!! Fabulous color on you.
Erica B. said... (1/23/09 1:38 PM) Reply
Great top Deepika! I'm such a sucker for those sleeves!
michellep74 said... (1/23/09 1:21 PM) Reply
Love the top on you (the color is great) and the scarf with that top!
SueV said... (1/23/09 12:24 PM) Reply
oooo, ahhh, there's that lovely scarf! Nice top too :)
Stitchcakes said... (1/23/09 12:20 PM) Reply
Love the necklace, too! Whenever any corner of my sewing space is even remotely this clean, I am a) having houseguests and need the room b) procrastinating sewing something tricky/untried before!
Karen6790 said... (1/23/09 9:40 AM) Reply
At this rate, we could all wear our variations on this top/dress to the next PR event! This is a very wearable muslin on you - and I love the color. Nice job on the neck binding, I don't get BWOF's use of facings on knits but I love their designs for knits and just try to find a way to make it work.
JEF said... (1/23/09 8:46 AM) Reply
Ditto what everyone else has said!
squirrellypoo said... (1/23/09 8:01 AM) Reply
This is really cute on you (I didn't even notice the sleeve cap! I think the sleeve flounces distract from it!), and I love the matching scarf, too.
FreyaStark said... (1/23/09 2:25 AM) Reply
A lovely top. Well done. I think I'm missing something in not seeing copies of BWOF, which does not seem to be available where I live except by subscription.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (1/23/09 1:16 AM) Reply
Lovely colour on you! It looks a very pretty top so I must look out for it when I get my issue.
Christina Sonja said... (1/23/09 0:26 AM) Reply
I am loving that top, I think I need to join the flounce sleeve club too!
Heidi Ho said... (1/22/09 11:20 PM) Reply
Your top turned out soooo cute. I love the color and the way you changed the neckline.
cabinbaby said... (1/22/09 11:09 PM) Reply
I was going to say, "Wow! Super clean sewing space and cute top" but I guess I can't say both. :) The top is super duper cute; I gotta make this one.
Em's Summer said... (1/22/09 10:14 PM) Reply
What a pretty top! The time you put into it was worth it because it turned out great! I love the sleeves and thanks for the tip about Microtex needles!
donna mel said... (1/22/09 9:44 PM) Reply
deepika, your top is lovely! i look forward to your next version with the shoulders and sleeve caps fitting perfectly on you. ladies...you're right, the studio is WAY too clean! deepika just asked for a simple photo and i went on 'clean patrol'! i'm always fascinated with the backgrounds of photos, so i wanted it to look its best. if you turn the camera a few feet, you'll see a big pile of stuff!
MissCelie said... (1/22/09 9:01 PM) Reply
LOL. I was so sweating that Bernina and thread! I like the top. You're right, BWOF not great for the knits.
Judy Wentz said... (1/22/09 8:56 PM) Reply
I made this as well...I love it. Will review it soon. Yours looks great. jw
nfield said... (1/22/09 8:50 PM) Reply
Deepika, the top looks cute on you. For the life of me, I could not figure out the sleeves. Good for you!!
Gelbean said... (1/22/09 7:24 PM) Reply
Super cute top. The color looks fab on you.
Ody said... (1/22/09 7:21 PM) Reply
Ok, I was going to make a comment about how neat your sewing room was and if you were going to be serious about sewing, you needed to mess it up a bit with lots of thread tails, and scraps of fabric. Wonderful blouse and the color is divine. Thanks for the details on altering the neckline---I always seem to have to change things myself. The results are very flattering.
Christas said... (1/22/09 7:01 PM) Reply
This looks really pretty. I can't believe it is your MUSLIN! The color is great and I really like the new neckline shape.
Lori V said... (1/22/09 6:36 PM) Reply
Cute top, thanks for the neckline information.
nancy2001 said... (1/22/09 6:18 PM) Reply
Cute top in a lovely color.
Sew4Fun said... (1/22/09 5:59 PM) Reply
Nice top which goes perfectly with the scarf you made. Love the colour.
Deepika said... (1/22/09 5:33 PM) Reply
I made that scarf last year. Silk Dyeing Experiment. Donna teaches that class. I love to wear it with otherwise plain shirts like this.
craftygamma said... (1/22/09 5:23 PM) Reply
Very cute top. Is the scarf RTW? It looks so good with the top. And please tell me you just cleaned your sewing room and that it doesn't always look like that!
dbsewer said... (1/22/09 5:18 PM) Reply
Cute top, Deepika and honestly, from the photo it looks awfully nice on you. I saw this in BWOF and thought of making it because of those cute sleeves. Thanks for the helpful information on the neckline and sleeve cap.

by: Lori V