Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7823 (Todays Fit by Sandra Betzina)

Reviewed by:FreyaStark

About FreyaStarkstarstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 6/12/08
Posted on:1/22/09 6:24 AM
Last Updated:3/23/09 7:16 AM

Vogue Patterns: 7823 by FreyaStark  Vogue Patterns: 7823 by FreyaStark  Vogue Patterns: 7823 by FreyaStark
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
mrsv83 said... (3/23/09 5:20 PM) Reply
What a great summer dress! I really like the tropical print.
kkkkaty said... (3/23/09 3:49 PM) Reply
thx for the reminder about this dress. It seems to be available from the Vogue Fabrics site in Evanston, just ordered one... wish me luck
Izzie said... (3/23/09 12:27 PM) Reply
Pretty Dress!
Kellie R. said... (3/23/09 9:13 AM) Reply
What a lovely and how sweet that it's your mom's name. It looks great and I'm sure you'll wear it a lot this summer.
Annette1 said... (1/23/09 1:30 AM) Reply
Such a pretty dress, and one that looks to be very comfortable and versatile, as well. I really like what you did with the sleeve bindings just as a design element, although that may not initially be why you chose to do them that way. I'm going to try that on a future pattern myself.
FreyaStark said... (1/22/09 4:19 PM) Reply
Many thanks for all those helpful comments. I must try it again, cut on the bias.
Nancywin said... (1/22/09 1:43 PM) Reply
I have to agree with fuzzygalore. I think if you were to make this again on the bias, you would be much more pleased with the drape. Ask me how I know :-)
fuzzygalore said... (1/22/09 1:37 PM) Reply
No fair doing a bias dress not on the bias and then complaining how it fits... The bias really changes the final results, that's why you have a pattern specifically for it. And you even used a very crisp fabric, while you'd have gotten closer if you'd used say a rayon on the straight grain, or better a knit. Don't even think of going down a size if you do this again the way it was meant to be, or your little sister will have a new dress :-). I can see why you were saving this fabric though, it's a gorgeous print, congratulations on using it!
Athene said... (1/22/09 1:17 PM) Reply
This is a very nice dress.
Elona said... (1/22/09 1:08 PM) Reply
As noted, bias stretches vertically. Betzina and other bias mavens strongly recommend a LOT of ease in bias garments to assure that the finished item hangs well without clinging. The reviews here at pr by people who did use the bias for this one show dresses that hang most beautifully on their figures and are very becoming--living proof of the importance of that ease.
Izzie said... (1/22/09 12:15 PM) Reply
Nice dress, the fabric is great! Before you go down a size, you might want to try it on the bias since it will hang closer to your body. I understand why you cut this one on grain due to your print. I made this in a woven on the bias, and, while it was pain to cut out, it turned out well. BTW if you looked at my review, I've fixed the broken links to the pictures.
sewtime said... (1/22/09 9:40 AM) Reply
Pretty, love the print! Looks great on!!
Nancy Rhodes said... (1/22/09 8:45 AM) Reply
I love the fabric... and tickled to hear, and very tempted to know it was 'still available', Perfect dress for the perfect fabric. You made a great match of them, BRAVO!
JamieLiz said... (1/22/09 8:29 AM) Reply
Very nice summer dress! Thanks for the tip about needing a cup of cocoa to get through the directions ;-) (not that I need an excuse to get out the cocoa). Good review!
Peggy L said... (1/22/09 8:08 AM) Reply
Nice made in such a fun fabric.
jannw said... (1/22/09 7:56 AM) Reply
Nice..I seem to have missed this SB pattern..I'll look for it..
maidathome said... (1/22/09 7:39 AM) Reply
This is one of those pieces you love to have in your closet, throw it on, put on a pair of sandals and you are good to go. Nice job.

Understanding Knit Fabrics