Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 02-2008-103 (Tippi Hedren dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:1/22/09 10:38 AM

petro said... (1/24/09 11:40 AM) Reply
Actually this looks good in the photo, but I can see that the weight of the fabric would be quite critical - too heavy would spoil the drapes and too flimsy would cling in the wrong places. I like that you chose a print, it works in the picture.
Annette1 said... (1/23/09 1:36 AM) Reply
Great review, and I think your dress looks quite nice, despite some of the things you've mentioned above. (It's been a long time since I've thought of Tippi Hedren, by the way -- ha!) This dress has some very nice features, and I think it looks great on you. (Love those shoes, too.) :o)
CrescentaLuna said... (1/22/09 10:07 PM) Reply
Good tip! I agree, why EVER sew something in the round if you don't have to? Also agree with other comments that the stripes look good in the pictures. Isn't it weird how the patterns in fabrics don't show up until the garment is done? I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I love the dress, though, and I'm planning on trying it -- your sewing tips will definitely help.
Gelbean said... (1/22/09 7:27 PM) Reply
The dress looks really good on you. Great review!
cookie9933 said... (1/22/09 7:16 PM) Reply
You Look very fine. Sorry it doesn' feel right. Your review was excellent! NIce modeling too!
michellep74 said... (1/22/09 4:45 PM) Reply
Very cute--it looks great in the picture. Maybe it will grow on you after a little while?
FreyaStark said... (1/22/09 4:11 PM) Reply
It looks pretty good to me. Well done.
Heidi Ho said... (1/22/09 3:53 PM) Reply
Great review. I think the dress looks very nice on you...I wish I could find a copy of that issue, I would love to make that dress.
marec said... (1/22/09 3:51 PM) Reply
despite all the details you found that need tweaking (in your estimation :-) ), I think the dress looks great on you and I love the overall look. Very nice, nicegirl!
Lori V said... (1/22/09 2:22 PM) Reply
The dress looks very cute on you. Nice job.
fuzzygalore said... (1/22/09 1:32 PM) Reply
I think you may need to raise the armhole instead of do too much bust-wise. Sometimes Burda forgets it's not the 80s any more :-), and it's particularly confusing since it is again, kind of. I don't agree with a center back seam being needed to fix the swayback either, it won't do anything that 2 darts won't do better. What you may need is to get yourself to Cidell's with a box of pins and get yourself pinned up the way you need to be. For me it's been really helpful to make a block - I need huge, and super-long- backdarts too, and now I can just slap them on whatever, as is from my block, everything fits a lot better back there. I made the dress into a top, and yes the collar is floppy, but I love it this way. You just have to learn to drape it artistically before you go out the door :-). Look at the pattern photo - there's no interfacing in there. That said, I love your print, and I think it looks very cute on you.
Karen6790 said... (1/22/09 1:17 PM) Reply
I'm sorry you're not feeling it on, but it looks good - I think it's one of those fit issues that you feel more than you see. And I like the way the fabric looks stripy, especially for the wrap part in the center (I like the circle effect). I would definitely give this one another shot with the modifications you want to do.
Vivienne said... (1/22/09 1:05 PM) Reply
You look gorgeous in this dress! Thanks for the helpful (envy inducing) review.
frogs2 said... (1/22/09 11:38 AM) Reply
Great review! I like your version a lot more than the one the model is almost wearing in the pattern photo, and I really appreciate your analysis. Sorry it feels sloppy opn - it looks great in your photo!
Vintage Joan said... (1/22/09 11:36 AM) Reply
Very, very nice. Beautiful fabric -- I think it adds something unique. I actually love that "from a distance" striping effect. :)

by: WinterQuee...

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)