Pattern Reviews> Design and Sew> 328 (Classy Coat)

Reviewed by:Mollykat

Posted on:10/31/03 2:01 PM
Last Updated:11/3/03 8:02 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
jso4fun said... (2/16/09 1:05 PM) Reply
Wow! These are great, and a good review, too. I just bought the pattern and can't wait to get started!
ShereeSews said... (11/23/03 9:49 PM) Reply
These are really attractive jackets! I hope you will wear one to LakeSewciety for Sew N Tell in the near future! I am impressed with how much sewing you accomplish, Mollykat! It was nice meeting you this week! Sheree
AnneM said... (11/5/03 7:17 AM) Reply
Mollykat, love you jackets - particularly the dancing guys one. Nice detail w/ the threads inside. So nice to see what you have done w/ this one pattern.
Mollykat said... (11/4/03 11:31 AM) Reply
Skymom, Lynn McCabe is a constant source of inspiration! I am a big fan of hers and enjoy any class she teaches. Taking the cost of one of her classes and distributing it among the projects I make based on the skills learned from her class - It always ends up less than $5.00 per piece. Great value!
Mollykat said... (11/4/03 11:26 AM) Reply
Linda, The gray jacket and the dancing guys jackets were made for ladies under 5'3". They exclusively buy petite sizing in RTW. All of us feel a little overwhelmed with the fabric under the arm - but as you can see - the visual effect isn't too bad.
JDpenelope said... (11/4/03 8:53 AM) Reply
Very creative. Fun to read about. I'm not there yet!
mudcat said... (11/3/03 9:19 PM) Reply
I like your gray version a lot. The black with the people is a pretty cool print. It's nice that these patterns work so well for you. My luck with them hasn't been that great.
Danvillegirl said... (11/3/03 6:40 PM) Reply
Great jackets. I am petite and have avoided Design and Sew patterns as I have heard others say they are overwhelming on petites. Now that you have made three and I am not sure of your size but jackets look great on you. What is your opinion on whether the jackets would work for petites?
Skymom said... (11/3/03 9:12 AM) Reply
Nice jackets! I've seen some of the samples that Lynn McCabe has made of garments using decorator fabrics, and you did indeed learn from a master--her work is beautiful.
galadriel45 said... (11/3/03 8:34 AM) Reply
Oh, I really like how much work you put into seeing what different effects you could get from changing fabrics and details. I particularly like the black jacket. This is an inspiration - I will definitely order this pattern.
Modiste Madness said... (11/2/03 7:52 PM) Reply
Wonderful creativity! You did a great job.
Mollykat said... (11/1/03 7:43 PM) Reply
Gigi and Irene, I see what you mean about the drawings compared to the real thing. I saw several examples of this jacket before ever seeing the pattern, so I never did view it as you did. However, take away the paint and pretend it is a line drawing. See how the drawing's sleeve matches my jacket's?
Mollykat said... (11/1/03 12:57 PM) Reply
Thank you for your comments. Marybeth, I made a big roll of bias tape from the coat fabric and played with until I found the right look. It starts at the neck, goes around back in a curlicue, then down the front making button loops along the way. All of it was handstitched down because the layers were too thick for my machine to stitch gracefully. The options in the coat are for collars, faux cuffs, pockets and jacket lengths.
cindyann said... (11/1/03 9:38 AM) Reply
Very good review. I love your button closing on the grey jacket too. Great creative work.
MaryBeth said... (11/1/03 9:16 AM) Reply
The center front button closing on the grey jacket is very interesting--was that one of the pattern's options or your addition. It's a nice counterpoint to the "squareness" of the fabric
Mollykat said... (10/31/03 7:28 PM) Reply
Thank you for your nice comments. Mini, great idea - and the look would vary depending on how much contrast there was between the colors. Imagine one in varying textures, all white and piped near the center for a focal point. M of Bride coat?!
jlg said... (10/31/03 6:57 PM) Reply
Very interesting, attractive jackets. Thanks for this review. I have wondered how they would look made up.
Irene said... (10/31/03 6:41 PM) Reply
These are beautiful jackets! One reason I've avoided this pattern is the high collar that suits only a long-necked person. The collar on your gray jacket is great! Your artistic sense is inspirational.
Gigi Louis said... (10/31/03 5:57 PM) Reply
Wow, your jackets bear little resemblance to the shapeless drawing on the pattern envelope! Very pretty.
Mini said... (10/31/03 4:21 PM) Reply
Wow! I didn't think the illustration for this patern was attractive, but your coats look great. Here is one idea for creating vertical design interest: you could piece different fabrics in vertical strips, and then cut out the coat from the pre-pieced fabric. The vertical seams could be piped, topstitched, apliqued with ribbon etc. for further emphasis. Or use some upholstery trims instead as they would be compatible with the fabric and are often very pretty in their own right.

by: mangoflavo...