Pattern Reviews> Palmer Pletsch> 001 (Apron)

Reviewed by:cindy-lou

About cindy-loustarstarstar
NC USA
Member since: 7/21/06
Posted on:2/23/09 5:25 PM
Last Updated:2/23/09 5:32 PM

Heatherrique said... (2/24/09 6:41 PM) Reply
Such a bubbly cute apron, Cindy Lou!
craftygamma said... (2/24/09 7:51 AM) Reply
LOL at your tongue in cheek review. But you make some very good points for beginners. Why make it harder than it needs to be and possibly discourage a beginner from venturing on? About the pocket...here is what would happen to me. The pocket would get totally lost somewhere in my sewing room and could not be found when it is time to sew it on the apron. The apron would probably be finished without the pocket...and the pocket would not be found until a month later.
Peggy L said... (2/23/09 9:37 PM) Reply
I've wondered about these P&P teaching patterns so appreciate the review. Cute apron!
cindy-lou said... (2/23/09 9:18 PM) Reply
Hi Aixoise-- Thanks for your helpful comments on my review! Yes, indeed... I *do* think there's a lot of merit in teaching the techniques and the terminology! In fact, I wonder if that's why this pattern grades the seams and uses facings in the first place (and BTW, I agree on the curved pocket edges and definitely considered using Steam a Seam!). Maybe it's not so much a necessity as a teaching experience. It does make a nice apron, and I can see students being thrilled with their results, and feeling confident after making this. :)
Aixoise said... (2/23/09 7:09 PM) Reply
Cindy-Lou, I use this pattern all the time in teaching beginning sewers, and I have some of the same nit-picks that you do. I teach a different way to get a nice curve on the pockets, for example; and I use a lot of Steam-a-Seam on those clean-finished edges. That said, I think there's value in giving beginners the vocabulary and steps of garment-sewing, even though some of those steps are rather old-fashioned. (Facings? On an apron? Why not binding?) My students are always thrilled with the results, though, and that's probably the best endorsement for this pattern, don't'cha think?
onehipgrammy said... (2/23/09 7:08 PM) Reply
very cute apron, thanks for a Great review!!

Understanding Knit Fabrics