Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 01-2009-106B (Re-fashioned T-Shirt)

Reviewed by:Heatherrique

About Heatherriquestarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/27/06

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:4/17/09 3:16 PM

Michele Lommasson said... (1/5/10 12:22 PM) Reply
I love your Tee shirt. I think my favorite part is the striped back. Way too cute!
kim*brown said... (4/21/09 8:56 AM) Reply
Your creations are always so much fun! Way to go GREEN! Love it!
amy in mpls said... (4/20/09 11:21 AM) Reply
Great modification! A+ for you!!!
Nancywin said... (4/19/09 8:09 PM) Reply
Great job. I, too, hate the typical T, but your revisions make this very "cool"
bananaoil said... (4/19/09 7:11 PM) Reply
Good work. I decided that T-shirt crew neck is the least attractive (and often uncomfortable) on most women. I like the v neck much better and the striped back IS cool, your student was right.
Kellie R. said... (4/19/09 10:24 AM) Reply
LOVE it! I'm so glad that you showed everybody and refashioned the unfashionable! I expect no less from you!!! LOL - Fabulous job, you look GREAT!
Heidi Ho said... (4/18/09 8:10 PM) Reply
So cool!!! I love the way you refashioned this T-shirt!!!
marjenann said... (4/18/09 2:36 PM) Reply
Wow!! You look fantastic in your re-fashioned T!! I bet the kids just love you!!! No wonder!! Annette
Christas said... (4/18/09 11:18 AM) Reply
What a brilliant idea! You look SO nice in your perfectly refashioned t-shirt! Good idea to tell the young man "No".... I can see him loading you up with a whole stack of t-shirt's to refashion!!!
Heatherrique said... (4/18/09 10:44 AM) Reply
Thanks for your sweet comments everyone! Anne Marie, you got me humming some Police tunes..GotPeace, I kept the lower hem of the original sleeves and pretty much kept its original length. I edited the modifications section in the review about the sleeves. Angie.A , I agree that there was something strange about how the slogan went across the bodice and could not articulate what it was. You got me giggling! Hee hee hee!!!!
becca a said... (4/18/09 10:07 AM) Reply
What a great refashioning of the generic one size fits nobody tee!
Barbara V said... (4/18/09 9:58 AM) Reply
What a great improvement over the basic t-shirt. You did a great job and it looks wonderful on you.
JEF said... (4/18/09 9:48 AM) Reply
You are so clever to have done this. I think it looks great!
Sic said... (4/18/09 9:18 AM) Reply
Very clever make over - those give away t-shirts never fit me well either!
angie.a said... (4/18/09 8:57 AM) Reply
Great save! I seriously thought it said "Got Boob" from the gallery pic though. HAHAHAH!!! Why yes, yes I do. :P
ryan's mom said... (4/18/09 7:59 AM) Reply
What great "refashioning" :) ! And good for you for with that non-committal "No." comment on alterations. I have several, uh, "beefy" tees that need refashioning. My gym tees could have a second life. I have several of the huge mens' t-shirts that I wear for working out, but they now have those aluminum antipersperant underarm stains. Refashioning the tees would cut that section right out along with nicer armholes and neckline. I'd actually look fashionable when I'm sweating like a pig if I did this. You've given me the nod... ;) .
ITAdmin said... (4/18/09 6:02 AM) Reply
Much cuter than the original! Those institutional T-shirts don't make much of a fashion statement.
2BSewing said... (4/17/09 11:16 PM) Reply
Your refashioned T is awesome. Much better neckline and fit. I like the style. :)
Annette1 said... (4/17/09 9:45 PM) Reply
This turned out SO cute! What an improvement, not only in the neckline, but the sleeves, too. Of course, there's a nice surprise with the striped back, as well. GOOD ANSWER on the "alterations" questions. That's always my answer, too. I don't even do my OWN alterations, much less somebody else's.
gotpeace91 said... (4/17/09 9:01 PM) Reply
Wow! You did an amazing job on this! There is a great difference between the two. It is so much more flattering now! Was your daughter pleased with the result? Did you shorten the sleeves? They look different.
Diane E said... (4/17/09 8:08 PM) Reply
So smart in so many ways!
librarylady said... (4/17/09 6:16 PM) Reply
Brilliant!
emo said... (4/17/09 6:11 PM) Reply
So cute. I love the back. I am sure you did not "look like a man" in the original shirt, but this is adorable.
Karen6790 said... (4/17/09 4:28 PM) Reply
I've done this with a lot of oversized freebie Tshirts - I generally use my TNT KS 3338 tshirt, cut the oversize shirt apart at the sides and remove the sleeves, and then lay the KS pieces overtop. Unless I want to change the neckline, I don't open the shoulder seam and therefore get to keep the original neck. Great job on this, and bravo to the male student aware enough to compliment you.
RobinMCPA said... (4/17/09 4:20 PM) Reply
Great job on refashioning the T-shirt!! I also hate standard T-shirts as they always look stupid on me and I feel "manly" also in them, so I love, love, love the way you changed this. Bad me just refuses to wear T-shirts when they give them out...
michellep74 said... (4/17/09 4:01 PM) Reply
Great job on the t-shirt makeover! I have a ton of freebie men's t-shirts (from years of working at software companies), and I've thought about doing something like this but never have.
AnneMarie60 said... (4/17/09 3:38 PM) Reply
Sting would sing, "Don't wanna be no fuddy duddy. Starting up a brand-new way." Well, Sting said, "day," but the "way" you refashioned this T is brilliant. I like the way the "800" skims along the neckline, and the blue-and-white stripes for the back is artistic and fresh!

by: Sheila457