Pattern Reviews> Other> 1638 (Hollywood Misses' Dress 1940's)

Viewed 2076 times
Reviewed by:Kellie R.

About Kellie R.starstar
Member since: 7/4/07
Posted on:4/20/09 3:50 PM
Last Updated:4/24/09 11:17 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 64 people
Batik said... (10/9/11 8:51 PM) Reply
Very impressed with all of your reviews - but, this dress looks so perfect on you I had to comment. Fantastic.
katharin said... (12/10/09 9:11 PM) Reply
Totally lovely. You look so beautiful in this dress!
CSM--Carla said... (12/10/09 11:17 AM) Reply
LOVELY!! You'll be adorable and appropriate at the holiday party in this dress. Have fun!
logan said... (6/21/09 8:58 PM) Reply
Just wondering if there is any way I can get a copy of this pattern? I would love to make it for myself, it is just PERFECT!
Juanita47 said... (6/21/09 7:41 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and it looks great on you Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and write such a detailed review. I find it very inspirational and it gives me hope that I too may create something so fine
logan said... (6/20/09 6:43 PM) Reply
Love the dress! It looks fabulous on you, great work...very inspiring!
DonnaV said... (6/19/09 8:58 PM) Reply
Wow - beautiful sewing - beautiful fabric that really "pops" in the evening lights. You look so very nice in it. Thanks for sharing - I have never tried 100% silk before, but perhaps I will now.
LMA said... (6/19/09 1:44 PM) Reply
I really like the pattern. It flatters many figures plus you don't have to adjust it so that you're not worried about what is being revealed all evening. If there was a pattern like that right now I would buy it immediately. It's lovely and you look lovely in it as well.
Kellie R. said... (6/19/09 11:45 AM) Reply
I just want to say thank you all so very VERY much. I'm simply blown away by all of the nice comments that everybody has made, and thanks to those who voted for me. It means SO MUCH coming from all of you here at PR. Sewing is such an enjoyable hobby for me and I love sharing and learning here on PR.
GraceGarden said... (6/18/09 11:13 PM) Reply
Lovely fabric!
Susieq777 said... (6/18/09 5:45 PM) Reply
This is such a detailed review. I really enjoyed reading and learning from it. Thanks :)
Bernie R. said... (6/18/09 10:59 AM) Reply
Kellie R. -- This dress is superb! And your detailed comments are a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing. You look stunning! Happy Anniversary...DH and I just celebrated our 13th too!
cindyintampa said... (6/18/09 8:42 AM) Reply
Congratulations on winning the vintage pattern contest. You deserved it. Your choice of pattern and fabric was perfect. I love the perfect shoes with the dress.
Secretsugar said... (6/18/09 8:14 AM) Reply
I love '40's style, too, and you look absolutely stunning in this wonderful dress!
EmKay said... (6/18/09 7:54 AM) Reply
I would love to see what the picture on the pattern looked like...
meli88a said... (6/17/09 11:37 PM) Reply
what a DELICIOUS dress!
DaisyEsq said... (6/17/09 10:20 PM) Reply
The fabric is gorgeous and the dress even more so.
goodworks1 said... (6/17/09 7:09 PM) Reply
Wow! Just Wow! Good job!
MissCelie said... (6/17/09 6:55 PM) Reply
That, is beyond FABULOUS!
valerie sews said... (6/17/09 6:20 PM) Reply
Congratulations on winning the vintage pattern contest. The dress is beautiful and suits you perfectly and thank you for doing such a detailed review.
Tina Rathbone said... (5/16/09 11:36 PM) Reply
Wowie Zowie! It's all been said: you look fab; great choice of fabric to pattern, and wonderful review. I haven't ventured into vintage pattern territory yet, but when I do I know where to come for some tips!
waltzqueen said... (5/13/09 10:34 AM) Reply
This is a gorgeous dress! It is the kind of 40s design I really like and you did a wonder job. The dress fits beautifully, has a nod to the past and looks great and fashionable today! Well done!
Heidi Ho said... (5/10/09 9:01 PM) Reply
Such a classy beautiful dress and what a perfect fit! You look like a movie star! Happy anniversary though I know it was last month.
HeyJane said... (5/7/09 9:55 AM) Reply
Total class and style! Wow, really beautiful. Interesting how the closure is done. This design is so perfect on you.
Mebber said... (5/5/09 11:43 AM) Reply
Wow beautiful dress in excellent high quality era-appropriate fabric choice. Thank you for your detailed review! I am on a mission to find this pattern now!
OLdV said... (5/5/09 8:56 AM) Reply
Wonderful dress, looks gorgeous on you! Clearly my favourite so far.
DD in DFW said... (5/5/09 7:29 AM) Reply
Very flattering, great job.
morzel said... (5/5/09 6:14 AM) Reply
Is this dress beautiful!! You look stunning, elegant, gorgeous and very ladylike in it. Great job!!!
TalyQ said... (5/5/09 1:44 AM) Reply
That is such a wonderful dress!!!! I love that the neckline is not too low, which is something I haven't seen on a wrap dress yet. All of them are way too open. I wish I could get my hands on a pattern with such a lovely draped wrap neckline. And you did a wonderful job. Love it!
LeahT said... (5/4/09 7:38 PM) Reply
Lovely dress! And a great review too :)
cindyann said... (5/4/09 1:46 PM) Reply
That is just gorgeous! Really a fantastic dress and review.
Kathi R said... (5/4/09 12:46 PM) Reply
Looks like you have a perfect match of pattern and fabric. Thanks for the review.
Sew4Fun said... (5/2/09 10:08 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! It is so flattering. You look beautiful.
CarolynGM said... (5/2/09 12:27 PM) Reply
Oh my. This dress is absolutely stunning. Vintage or not, the style is timelessly elegant. Gorgeous fabric and outstanding review.
colourbynumber said... (5/1/09 12:31 PM) Reply
Great review. I love the detail on the skirt. Great job--it really shows!
fourkid said... (5/1/09 9:08 AM) Reply
This dress is beautiful and so perfect on you. Those Hollywood patterns are great.
Primatoidefutile said... (4/30/09 7:07 PM) Reply
It is an absolutely wonderful dress, and as you wrote it is all woman, and all stunning !
Oceanpeg said... (4/30/09 0:22 AM) Reply
Really a gorgeous dress. Like it was just made for you, which it was....LOL Nice job in putting it together.
persevering said... (4/26/09 12:23 PM) Reply
What a dress! fabric! and review! And you are looking so beautifulí
Rhonda in Montreal said... (4/26/09 11:43 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, just gorgeous!! THAT's what I call a dress!! Enjoy the whistles!!
Dmd4106 said... (4/26/09 0:07 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! Excellent Review!
Karendee said... (4/25/09 5:58 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and you look lovely wearing it! Happy Anniversary!
Catbird said... (4/25/09 2:00 PM) Reply
Wow. What an amazing piece of work this is, and you look totally gorgeous in it! It oozes high style and femininity.
cindy-lou said... (4/25/09 1:36 PM) Reply
Kellie, you are a KNOCKOUT in that dress!! Beautiful, beautiful work!
homejewel said... (4/25/09 12:05 PM) Reply
That is truly a classic and what a beautiful fabric choice. It fits you like a dream! What a great review!
AnneM said... (4/25/09 12:05 PM) Reply
Lovely style. The 40s have my favorite styles, I think. Great job on the dress, it is very pretty and fits perfectly. (What stitching isn't perfect? It all looks perfect from 10' away! And I'm sure your husband thinks it is perfect much closer than that.)
JudiBee2 said... (4/25/09 11:26 AM) Reply
A great review. Thanks so much for all the work in putting this together with commentary and photos. Kudos.
solosmocker said... (4/25/09 8:07 AM) Reply
Stunning dress and just perfect on you! With your incredible review and pictures I feel like we all could sew along with you on this one.
eugenia123 said... (4/25/09 5:14 AM) Reply
This dress is SO fantastic - everything about it is pure genius - I LOVE it.
Annette1 said... (4/25/09 1:06 AM) Reply
What a wonderfully thorough review. This dress is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. And you've made it SOOOOOOO nicely. I LOVE the detail pictures AND the ones of you out and about, sporting this little gem around. ALL the details are so perfect, I can't believe nobody else bid on this pattern! It's PERFECT. :o) Happy anniversary, too (a little late).
ajax said... (4/25/09 0:57 AM) Reply
This is absolutely beautiful. I love the fabric and styling. You look gorgeous!
DoggyGirl said... (4/22/09 8:33 PM) Reply
Absolutely lovely. It's so great to see people using these elegant patterns from the past - the patterns today just don't compare. You Go Girl!
Karrol said... (4/22/09 8:13 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
DorothyK said... (4/22/09 1:35 AM) Reply
Absolutely stunning. You look beautiful. Although it's a vintage pattern, it looks perfectly appropriate for today. Congratulations on a job well-done.
Mahler said... (4/21/09 9:45 PM) Reply
Though the picture was small, and your hair was down, I knew in a fraction a second, it was a dress from you ! Ahhh this dress is a gem ! Everything makes it awesome. Oh la la ! I love it.
QuickFade said... (4/21/09 11:56 AM) Reply
Great job! Thanks for all the detail. Very inspiring!
Pattern Junkie said... (4/21/09 10:43 AM) Reply
Stunning!
AnneMarie60 said... (4/21/09 10:29 AM) Reply
Amazing dress. I so enjoyed reading your comprehensive review, too. Very interesting to learn about unprinted vintage patterns, and the closure methods used for garments of this era. Your dress is absolutely gorgeous.
Kellie R. said... (4/21/09 8:26 AM) Reply
OMG - thank yo SO MUCH everybody! I was so "intimidated" to touch this fabric; it took months for me to get past that. I thank everybody at PR for giving me confidence to challenge myself! It was a pleasure making this dress! Thanks again for all of your comments!
fryman said... (4/21/09 8:24 AM) Reply
A perfect dress for the anniversary gal. Congratulations! Appreciate your detailed review. Thanks.
Lori V said... (4/21/09 7:02 AM) Reply
Wow, so gorgeous.
mchick said... (4/21/09 5:14 AM) Reply
You look absolutely wonderful, have a fantastic dinner with yur husband, and congratulations on your anniversary! That is one of the most beautiful and flattering dresses I have seen on Pattern Review, well done.
velosewer said... (4/21/09 5:11 AM) Reply
you win in my books. You've created a great dress. Well done.
Marie-Claude said... (4/21/09 4:16 AM) Reply
Wow. Just wow. This is such a lovely dress, you did an excellent job. And great review too!
Sweetiebop said... (4/21/09 3:00 AM) Reply
Love this dress. You were right to choose this pattern for this fabric. Wow. Happy Anniversary.
Luckylibbet said... (4/21/09 0:43 AM) Reply
WOW. That's all I can say, you left me speechless. Great job documenting the process, too.
CynthiaSue said... (4/21/09 0:28 AM) Reply
you look like a sexy 40's movie star!! Annette Benning in "Bugsy"!! Totally amazing Kellie!!
Kay Y said... (4/20/09 9:36 PM) Reply
Wow! That is a gorgeous dress and it fits you perfectly. Love the waist detail.
Athene said... (4/20/09 9:26 PM) Reply
Oh la la - very nice indeed - thank you for all the great close up pictures.
Em's Summer said... (4/20/09 9:10 PM) Reply
OMG, Kellie! This is over the moon beautiful and it fits you PERFECTLY! You look great in this! You did a great job!
Barbara V said... (4/20/09 9:10 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous. The fabric looks so rich, the pattern is great and you look fabulous in it!
maryfrana said... (4/20/09 9:02 PM) Reply
Amazing review for a stunning dress. This is so thorough, so detailed, I felt like I was sewing along with you. The dress is just so beautiful, so sexy, so fitted, so everything. That fabric is to die for. Kelli you look so beautiful and timeless.
neverenoughtime said... (4/20/09 8:58 PM) Reply
Kellie, It is truely beautiful. What a great job! I hope I can achieve your level of confidence. Cindy
marec said... (4/20/09 8:54 PM) Reply
I am awestruck.
piffle said... (4/20/09 8:34 PM) Reply
Brava!
dorothyn said... (4/20/09 7:39 PM) Reply
Wow, your hubby will be very proud to be out with you on Friday! The dress is beautiful and fits you "like it was made for you"! Ha! Nice work, and congrats on your first fine silk garment. You're probably discovering that natural fibres are almost always a joy to work with.
shesflipped said... (4/20/09 7:38 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress, so beautifully crafted. You look so elegant wearing it!
strongnow said... (4/20/09 7:26 PM) Reply
Wow! This is a treasure. Your material and finished project are beautiful.
Florigal said... (4/20/09 7:16 PM) Reply
You look MAH-VEL-US in your gorgeous dress. Wow! What a perfect marriage of pattern, fabric, and wearer. Hope you have a great time Friday at your anniversary dinner.
graustark said... (4/20/09 7:13 PM) Reply
What a stand-out dress! The fabric and detailing are superb, and it all came together wonderfully.
Leora said... (4/20/09 7:05 PM) Reply
You are right, that is one sexy dress!
echolalia said... (4/20/09 6:53 PM) Reply
This is beautiful. Perfect fabric/style match & so well constructed. Congratulations!
JMarie1962 said... (4/20/09 6:19 PM) Reply
Stunning Dress! Your review of the pattern and the fabric you chose was a pleasure to read and bursting with info. too. You look fantastic in this dress!! Happy Anniversary :)
Natasha B said... (4/20/09 6:17 PM) Reply
Your dress is gorgeous and you look fabulous! The fabric is perfect and workes so well with the vintage styling. Congratulations!
nancy2001 said... (4/20/09 6:04 PM) Reply
Wow. Absolutely jaw droppingly beautiful. Happy anniversay, too.
nellc said... (4/20/09 6:00 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress and beautiful fabric, it looks really lovely on you.
Heatherrique said... (4/20/09 5:33 PM) Reply
Wow! Veronica Lake combined with a modern sensibility....Kellie, you brought back a classic that never goes out of style. I am very impressed that you went for the gusto and made this with such a delectable fabric. Thanks for sharing your sewing journey with us. You make vintage look so fun and wearable!
ITAdmin said... (4/20/09 5:20 PM) Reply
I love your dress. Great style and beautiful fabric.
Karen6790 said... (4/20/09 5:16 PM) Reply
Gorgeous, definitely a dress worthy of a special anniversary.
Christas said... (4/20/09 5:06 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress! You look wonderful in it!
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/20/09 4:48 PM) Reply
Va Va Voom! You look gorgeous in your beautifully sewn dress. It was a treat reading your review. Happy Anniversary!
MagpieJen said... (4/20/09 4:35 PM) Reply
Spectacular, Kellie! So much to congratulate you on: great review, new techniques mastered, finishing early, gorgeous dress, AND your anniversary! Stellar!
renren said... (4/20/09 4:34 PM) Reply
Breathtakingly beautiful, your dress--and you, of the many-flowered gown fame! Thanks for all the detail. And yet another source for fabric!!! Yay!
feldmanTcat said... (4/20/09 4:29 PM) Reply
This is absolutely stunning; the choice of fabric was perfect for this pattern and the detail in your sewing is superb. Thanks for sharing the photos of the work in progress and the unprinted pattern.
sewbehind said... (4/20/09 4:20 PM) Reply
Stunning. I think your husband will notice you on your anniversary. Congratulations.
Gold said... (4/20/09 4:16 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress! Looks great on you.
F and L said... (4/20/09 4:04 PM) Reply
That is just utterly, utterly beautiful. I love everything about it: fabric, pattern. It looks absolutely perfect on you, and wonderfully sewn. You look just beautiful.
MaryDB said... (4/20/09 4:04 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress, beautiful work!

Stretch & Sew 1276