Pattern Reviews> No Pattern Used> SDP020 (X-Kilt)

Reviewed by:shanntarra

Posted on:4/29/09 12:09 PM
Last Updated:7/17/09 5:14 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
Alan H said... (11/20/12 0:55 AM) Reply
PLease note that there's now a second edition to the instructions, which you can download here: http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~ahebert/Xkilt/Xkilt2ndedRevK.pdf I cleaned up the most troublesome part, and several other people contributed revisions, additional sections and lots of pictures. MUCH better! Alan
droxy said... (5/13/09 9:04 PM) Reply
Great details in a review! Pattern instructions stink. I agree.
snapdragonfly said... (5/13/09 9:07 AM) Reply
loved seeing the pix and the process, thanks for the update.
swede said... (5/12/09 6:29 PM) Reply
What a great review. The "bay window" description almost had me on the floor laughing!
cgHipp said... (5/6/09 3:41 PM) Reply
Fantastic review! I'd love to make these for DH and my brothers! I love Renren's idea - how fun to make a velcro wraparound kilt "towel" out of terrycloth!
Christas said... (5/3/09 9:28 PM) Reply
Wow! What a thorough and totally interesting review! My brother had a full Scottish wedding complete with "Amazing Grace" played on the bagpipes. It was absolutely one of the prettiest weddings I have every been to. I may be biased since it was my brother's wedding! Anyway, he and all the male attendants wore beautiful wool plaid kilts. Maybe now my brother needs a work kilt. LOL!
li'l miss muffett said... (5/3/09 5:50 PM) Reply
This is great! I L.O.V.E. a man in a kilt but my DH would fall over dead if I asked him to wear one. Great review and I enjoyed reading those instructions!
Joey in Katy said... (5/3/09 5:21 PM) Reply
Sigh -- yet something else that's going on my "todo" list!
Luckylibbet said... (5/3/09 2:00 PM) Reply
GREAT review! Not gonna be making one anytime soon, but just loved how you wrote it up.
MagpieJen said... (5/3/09 12:29 PM) Reply
Awesome! I have many a pal that would love a utili-kit and now we've got a free pattern, wonderfully reviewed by you!
renren said... (5/3/09 10:15 AM) Reply
Now this looks like a stash reducer! Wonder if my dh would wear one coming out of the shower rather than the towel that doesn't quite reach . . .
Ariadne said... (5/1/09 2:44 PM) Reply
I had to go read the whole pattern. Now I'm trying to find a guy to persuade to make one of these. Or, really, let me. I want to go drinking with these guys. Swagger + swish= swoon??? Who could not love that. Thank you, also, for your complete story, which is so funny to read, with great details. One of the Threads sportswear books has a traditional kilt pattern article in it.
Tiner W said... (5/1/09 10:48 AM) Reply
How cool! That is the most entertaining pattern I've seen!
shanntarra said... (5/1/09 9:42 AM) Reply
That is the big draw about this. Men are able to take this, and walk through making one having never sat at a sewing machine before. Sally, if you make thim for your guys. Do a review of your own. The guy who does this is not charging copy right or anything on it. All he asks if you do start making ALOT of money with his directions making him one and then you are even. With as much fun as I am having ( dispite the set backs) I may have to make a X-skirt for me. :)
MadMenFanlinda said... (5/1/09 7:38 AM) Reply
Shantarra, I am having trouble with your link. Any way you can help? Thank you! Oops, never mind> Everything I need it under "more info". We have a Scottish Festival in our town, and these would be perfect for my three guys to wear when they run the 10 K race.
ClaireEmily said... (4/30/09 11:25 PM) Reply
That pattern is the funniest I've ever read! What a great idea. Good luck, I hope it turns out fabulously. I will be waiting for the pic!!
shanntarra said... (4/30/09 11:02 PM) Reply
I posted a link above to where you can download it. I know some places charge you for patterns but this is just a 45 page document that walks you "man simple" through how to make a basic kilt. It is equal to a untila-kilt. http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~ahebert/Xkilt/Xkilt2ndedRevK.pdf
snapdragonfly said... (4/30/09 7:13 AM) Reply
Would love to see ...
j222b said... (4/29/09 6:03 PM) Reply
Have your review show in the Gallery for more readers. I love your review. I don't understand the FREE part, I thought it was 30-40 $--eagerly waiting for more of your review. Thanks

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest