Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 06-2006-121

Posted on:5/2/09 3:34 PM
Last Updated:5/11/09 0:01 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
cleverkitty said... (5/11/09 11:05 PM) Reply
I love it!!! really great make-over.
Leslie in NZ said... (5/11/09 4:29 PM) Reply
I think your restyling is great! It is very interesting to see what opening the neck did. Also, adding some contrast to the very pale fabric breathed life into it! Well Done.
Heatherrique said... (5/11/09 3:53 PM) Reply
Actually you new version is ultra chic! I thought your original version is not that bad as you thought. You can wear anything and still look great. Thanks for sharing your modifications. Wear it out of the house, Nancy! Honestly, you look lovely in it!
Elemenopeo said... (5/11/09 1:43 PM) Reply
Great save!
Em's Summer said... (5/11/09 1:37 PM) Reply
Your second version looks better than you think--it's a very pretty blouse!
Judy Wentz said... (5/11/09 12:55 PM) Reply
You did a great revamp. Congratulations. In looking at your original, it is amazing how just opening up the neckline made your shoulders look less narrow. It is so flattering now. jw
RLL said... (5/11/09 12:23 PM) Reply
This version is much more youthful looking, you just look overall happier in it. The original was matronly and you looked uncomfortable. Great save!
Jennifer shaw said... (5/11/09 0:07 AM) Reply
I really like what you did with it. It looks really nice on you with the v neckline and the short sleeves.
Marji said... (5/4/09 8:35 AM) Reply
At first I thought "What doesn't she like about this?", but then after looking at it, I realize that although your fit is good and the style is ok, it just isn't your best look. I think it accentuates the narrowness of your shoulders, so I'm really happy for you that you've saved your white burnout for something else. Nice job though.
Nancywin said... (5/3/09 10:10 PM) Reply
Thanks for all of your comments on this. I am putting it aside for now, but I think I will cut off the neckband and lower the neckline. I will also cut off the sleevebands to shorten the sleeves. I am happy with the fit on this, just not the proportions/style. I'll repost after I make this over. Thanks for looking at my review.
Bonnie K said... (5/3/09 10:06 PM) Reply
Another thought is that the length of the sleeves is the same as the length of the blouse... giving you a visual horizontal line. Shortening the sleeves or wearing open with a tank might help you like the proportions more. Just a thought.
marthamyers said... (5/3/09 5:14 PM) Reply
I think it is very charming on you. A sash belt might be interesting with it, but I think it is a lovely blouse on you, as is. I was interested in your take on the shoulders-to-bust adjustment. Nancy Zieman and Cynthia Guffey are big on going with the shoulder measurement and adjusting the bust (easier than shoulder adjustment), but you were not overly pleased with this result. I've had mixed results with this transition myself. Though, as I say, I think it looks great!
fuzzygalore said... (5/3/09 10:07 AM) Reply
Well.. I kind of have to agree about the print, which doesn't do much for you. It's the white background I think, very blah for your coloring. But I like the fit of this very much, including I'm afraid the higher neck. I second renren about trying it as a light spring jacket?
cleverkitty said... (5/3/09 9:34 AM) Reply
I think Renren is right, wear it as a jacket with a cami oh dear I never depended on the pattern telling me what buttons to use, I should after reading your review.
RuthieSews said... (5/3/09 6:01 AM) Reply
What about making it into a short sleeved blouse? If you can bear it, swapping out the long sleeves for short puffed sleeves with a band could be cute. great fit btw
renren said... (5/2/09 9:45 PM) Reply
I like the way it looks. Maybe because it feels like a jacket to you, you could wear it as a light jacket over a cami or shell? I do like the way it looks and I do like the fabric. You sew many beautiful things, so if once in a blue moon you are less than pleased with what you sew, you are still well ahead of the game! Good luck on deciding what to do with the white burnout fabric.
eugenia123 said... (5/2/09 4:43 PM) Reply
I think this jacket/blouse style is really nice and I think you should give that print a chance to grow on you because it looks great! Thanks for the helpful tip about working out button size.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns