Pattern Reviews> Marfy> 1054 (jacket)

Reviewed by:Fictionfan

About Fictionfanstar
VT United States
Member since: 5/19/06
Posted on:3/5/11 7:05 PM
Last Updated:3/6/11 9:19 AM

tiadia said... (3/20/14 9:28 AM) Reply
This is amazingly gorgeous. What a lot of work and detail! I make the same fitting adjustments above the waist as you described here - still working on perfecting them. This is so gorgeous a fit. Thanks for posting!
Heatherrique said... (7/8/12 3:46 PM) Reply
Are you certain that you are not at the "expert/couture" level of sewing? Wow! I am in awe of your sleek and beautiful suit. Despite not having the instructions, Marfy seems to be well drafted. Your persistence, skill, and time paid off very nicely. I can only aspire to create work as beautiful as yours. Thank you for the articulate details in your review.
Danmar said... (4/28/12 10:32 PM) Reply
Wow--what a great review. I love the details you provided. Your jacket is excellent!
merteuil said... (3/22/11 12:49 PM) Reply
What a beautiful and unique suit! Thank you for a wonderfully detailed and inspiring review.
VirginiasDghter said... (3/7/11 1:17 PM) Reply
Gorgeous.....just gorgeous! Very helpful detailed review!
yorkshire lass said... (3/7/11 7:20 AM) Reply
Oh wow. That is really gorgeous. I too love Marfy's and the result is almost always excellent, but I too struggle with the lack of a lining. I hope you get many years of wear from this gorgeous suit. Thank you for a very, very helpful review.
LynneMR said... (3/7/11 6:16 AM) Reply
What a great detailed review. I love what you made - I haven't attempted a jacket yet. You have achieved a beautiful finish and fit.
Andrea670 said... (3/6/11 7:45 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the detailed review on this pattern. Your suit is GORGEOUS!!!!! You did an amazing job on the detail of that jacket, and without instructions to follow, I must bow my head to you. I have seen a few Marfy patterns that I like, but I'm just not ready for it yet.
AdaH said... (3/6/11 7:17 PM) Reply
Really really great review and a wonderful suit. Do you ever sew for others?
Fictionfan said... (3/6/11 3:47 PM) Reply
Re Becca, I did use my ruffler attachment, for the first time, to make the trim. I mention it somewhere in this review or the one for the skirt. No way could I get such even pleating by hand. In fact, I'd still be making it if I tried. Everyone, Thanks so much for the comments!
JillyBe said... (3/6/11 3:34 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh this looks stunning! I have to come back & read the review thoroughly when I have more time, since there are details that I definitely want to know more about. I just couldn't wait to say how gorgeous I think your work is!
Re Becca said... (3/6/11 1:11 PM) Reply
Fabulous and informative! That looks so feminine, shapely and professional at the same time. I din't have this pattern yet, but I love both your skirt and jacket. The trim really is perfect, a nice feminine touch, did you use a ruffler foot or do all that gathering by hand? I really like those pockets, thanks for the nice tutorial.
Luz Clara said... (3/6/11 12:36 PM) Reply
Thank you for this wonderfully detailed review/lesson! I have a couple of Marfy patterns and have not had the time or confidence to take a stab at them! The suit is a knock-out! Thanks again!
SewWil said... (3/6/11 11:25 AM) Reply
GORGEOUS!!! I love the suit. You did a great job sewing this. Thank you once again for taking the time to write a detailed review. Much appreciated!
Rhoda K said... (3/6/11 11:22 AM) Reply
Just beautiful and love the detail. Thanks for a great and thorough review.
kwpanthermom said... (3/6/11 10:10 AM) Reply
Stunning suit and your review has such valuable clarity and precision! A joy to read, thank you!
DaisyEsq said... (3/6/11 9:58 AM) Reply
Fabulous review for a fabulous jacket!
Fictionfan said... (3/6/11 9:12 AM) Reply
Aixoise, susan sugden, QuiltersFan, tess and others: I am glad you appreciate the detailed review. Yorkshire lass, Re Becca, and others give construction details with their Marfy reviews, too. I really like reading how they got to the final garment, so I decided to do the same. I can't write as succinctly as others, but I figure that anyone who doesn't like the details can skim it or move on. Thanks for the compliments everyone!
Fictionfan said... (3/6/11 9:07 AM) Reply
Scheri, I labeled myself advanced because I have no difficulty sewing advanced level patterns, I have a lot of sewing experience, and I can usually fit a pattern well. We each judge our own skill level; there isn't a standard written for PR. Marfy patterns are labeled Expert, so I don't feel so bad having had a hard time figuring this pattern out. There are PR intermediate sewers making Marfy patterns. Maybe they should all be calling themselves advanced or I should downgrade myself, I don't know. Not all of the Marfy patterns are as difficult as I found this one to be! Go for it if you find one you like and you are willing to pay for it. They aren't inexpensive, but they are really well-drafted and a lot of fun! Even if did take me two years to make this in fits and starts, I did have a lot of fun with it.
Fictionfan said... (3/6/11 8:57 AM) Reply
UrbanSeamstress, Marfy actually has several jacket patterns with belts incorporated into the jacket, all of which won't have directions or lining pieces either. I don't recall seeing anything like this feature in any other line, though. I gather Kyra Sedgwick is on a TV show? I don't watch TV, would rather sew, but I might see if I can find an image of the outfit. You've made me curious!
tess said... (3/6/11 7:51 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful suit and a great detailed review!
UrbanSeamstress said... (3/6/11 2:35 AM) Reply
Amazing review! Coincidentally, I was admiring a jacket of virtually this exact same cut (with the interesting "belt" forming cuts, but minus the lacey ruffle on the sleeves) on Kyra Sedgwick in The Closer two nights ago (we're probably horridly behind here in this little corner of the world so don't bother checking ... ). I immediately had flashes of replicating that jacket and now I know where to start. Thanks!
QuiltersFan said... (3/6/11 1:02 AM) Reply
Beautiful. I appreciate your detailed review.
Scheri said... (3/6/11 0:24 AM) Reply
This is the nicest suit I have seen. I see that your skills list you as Advanced. Your suit is absolutely gorgeous and I would like to thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review.
susan sugden said... (3/5/11 10:00 PM) Reply
Beautiful suit, and a wonderful review. This is a classic and you will enjoy it forever. Claire Shaeffer would be proud of you for the fine sewing and quality result!
Aixoise said... (3/5/11 8:10 PM) Reply
This is one of the best, most thorough reviews I've read. Even if a Marfy pattern isn't in my future, the information in your review reads like a primer applicable to any tailored jacket project. Your jacket is splendid. Thanks so much for the review.
loti said... (3/5/11 7:12 PM) Reply
I want this suit, it's gorgeous!

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns