Pattern Reviews> Cutting Line Designs> 81508 (Ebb & Flow)

Reviewed by:Irene Q

About Irene Qstarstarstarstar
NH USA
Member since: 3/19/04
Posted on:5/31/09 1:10 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

OP Gal said... (8/18/10 9:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for the heads up about this pattern. They look great on you, so you'd never know about the problems.
fryman said... (6/6/09 10:15 AM) Reply
This particular to, although sewn beautifully with lovely fabric is not as flattering as others.I realize that Cutting Line Designs run with a LOT of designer ease; in this case, on you, it look exaggerated. Keep smiling. You have a lovely smily!
Peggy L said... (6/1/09 11:50 AM) Reply
Irene - thanks for this excellent review. You always seem to have such great luck with this line of patterns that I was a little surprised. They do look nice and cool for the summer months. I just went to a fitting class a couple of months ago and now do a one inch upper back adjustment. I had been doing a small forward shoulder adjustment but this was a new one for me!!!
renren said... (6/1/09 11:07 AM) Reply
Thanks, m/m. (Not trying to hijack your fine review, Irene!) I'm printing out this page and will try to work with this alteration because I know I have a high rounded back and I think I have a forward head.
m/m said... (6/1/09 10:27 AM) Reply
I've got the same issues with tops sliding to the back. I've done a round back adjustment for at least 40 years (adding about 1/2 in across the back, tapering out to nothing at the armhole seams, and either darting out the extra at the top of the shoulder or removing the extra fabric at the top of the armhole, tapering out to nothing at the end of the cutting line for adding the extra back length) but that's been giving me extra fabric in the lower back for a while. Louise Cutting suggested tipping the neck openning forward instead. In my case she told me to raise the center back 1/2 inch, lower the center front of the neck 1/2 inch and redraw the neckline so that the new line passes through the new cb and cf points and through the as-originally-drafted point where the shoulder seam and the neck seam meet. This works for me without adding additional fabric in the lower back. This adjustment is for people with rounded upper backs and heads carried forward. The length of the neck seam doesn't change (collars still fit into the seam fine) but facings need to be redrawn to fit the new curve. Basically you're moving the neck openning slightly forward on the garment to better conform to the shape of your body. Irene: I always like to see what wonders you've accomplished with all of your sewing and great reviews.
marthamyers said... (6/1/09 10:00 AM) Reply
Thanks for this very helpful review. I like the solid one a lot, especially with the collar up - a nice classic white shirt. But I agree - this pattern appears to be less-than-wonderful.
renren said... (5/31/09 10:12 PM) Reply
Sorry you did not get the fit you wanted. I am very curious about your tops migrating to the back over your shoulders because my clothes do the same thing (tops and dresses), even my Chicos RTW tops. Your solution to add across the back was mentioned, but when I was reading FFRP the other day, it was suggested that a forward shoulder adjustment might fix the problem. My guess is you are advanced enough you would know about it if it worked, so this alterations is still a big question mark for me. I do like your blouses, especially the solid one. And I do like the collar/banding up, also. I have her By Popular Demand, which I believe you hae sewn, and I hope I don't have a problem with the front to back migration. Good luck!

Mini Miranda Bag Paper Pattern