Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3503 (Misses Day or Evening Knit)

Reviewed by:CynthiaSue

About CynthiaSuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 10/11/03

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:6/2/09 4:56 PM
Last Updated:6/2/09 5:02 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

valerie sews said... (7/25/09 5:46 AM) Reply
Looking gorgeous! Another winner for you and for this pattern.
selvage said... (7/13/09 5:46 PM) Reply
very pretty dress! Looks like--or better than--expensive ones I've seen and tried on in stores. I've use my sewing machine's blind hem stitch on slinky knit, btw, and it works beautifully.
Dei said... (6/28/09 7:10 PM) Reply
How perfect is this dress on you. Excellent review.
Sheila457 said... (6/22/09 11:19 AM) Reply
Great Dress and review. I have that pattern and now have reason to sew up a dress.
kim*brown said... (6/19/09 6:53 PM) Reply
I want to get this pattern so I was happy when I saw how awesome it turned out for you!
NurseByrd said... (6/15/09 3:54 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review I have been working on this pattern for what seems forever but I will be finished tomorrow.
whirrclunk said... (6/11/09 4:44 PM) Reply
What a great dress! And such a good fit!
RobinMCPA said... (6/10/09 9:08 PM) Reply
Forgot to say, I've added you to my fave reviewers list - and I have not heard of that "towny dress" thing. And on the knits, I see at least medium end knits always finished with coverstitch. Which is why I LOVE my Janome 900CP, which I use for everything.
RobinMCPA said... (6/10/09 9:07 PM) Reply
Love how this looks on you!!! This is on my list of things to sew very soon, so I especially appreciate the info on the back gaposis!! I experienced that recently on S2580 - next time I will cut the back piece a size smaller.
Sara The Slayer said... (6/5/09 5:59 AM) Reply
You are WEARIN that dress. I love it. I am about to sew it, was looking for tips. A lot said it was too big...but you said it sizes true on top but you did smallen it in the back...thanks for the detail on that.
Kathi R said... (6/3/09 8:04 PM) Reply
Sounds like you made good use of the experience of others and wound up with a great looking dress.....we have to love PR! Thanks for the review.
MissCelie said... (6/3/09 4:51 PM) Reply
I've also heard 'goddess'. You look all beachy and sexy! I'm so glad it worked well for you. And you're right, it's a good idea to use a wider strip of elastic. GREAT job!! Woo hoo!
Mahler said... (6/3/09 4:04 PM) Reply
Your husband most feel so proud to walk around with a gorgeously dress and beautiful woman. This dress is amazing on you. Happy anniversary!
Barbara V said... (6/3/09 3:11 PM) Reply
You look great in your "towny/maxi" dress. I love it. Beautiful fabric. Happy Anniversary!
2BSewing said... (6/3/09 3:02 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! Perfect fabric and fit. This pattern was made for you. What a coincidence that I happen to have this pattern out on my SM table. Thank you for the sizing and elastic tips. :)
Markie1 said... (6/3/09 2:16 PM) Reply
Cindy-You look gorgeous in that dress! Now I have to make it, don't I? Your review was so helpful, I will be referring to it again soon!
LindsayT said... (6/3/09 12:24 PM) Reply
Très glam, you! On better RTW hems, it's anything goes these days. Some designers show no hem at all with knits, just a raw edge. Works for me!
jaeng said... (6/3/09 12:13 PM) Reply
Another fabulous dress from this pattern. I juse saw Erica B.'s version. Both of you look great and make me want a maxi dress instantly.
eugenia123 said... (6/3/09 10:45 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress. You look fantastic in it. Happy anniversary.
Kellie R. said... (6/3/09 8:18 AM) Reply
*whistles* You look GORGEOUS, just like a model! Fabulous dress and I hope you enjoyed your anniversary! Great job!
Bonnie O said... (6/3/09 7:39 AM) Reply
You look fabulous! Towny dress? I hadn't heard that term. Of course, by the time I get around to the idea of a Towny / Maxi dress in my wardrobe, the trend itself be be passe!
Leora said... (6/3/09 2:04 AM) Reply
Very pretty!
Christina Sonja said... (6/3/09 1:52 AM) Reply
Look at you! You are such a California girl in that hot dress (I still call it a maxi dress as I haven't heard of towny dress - I'm probably behind). Hope you had a great trip :)
Allie in Hong Kong said... (6/3/09 1:28 AM) Reply
This looks absolutely fantastic on you. Usually things I sew at 2am are disasters, clearly this is not the case for you!
Deepika said... (6/2/09 11:24 PM) Reply
Cindy, this dress is smashing on you!
DorothyK said... (6/2/09 11:17 PM) Reply
Perfect choice for your anniversary dinner. You look fantastic. So what's in the box?
Nancywin said... (6/2/09 9:04 PM) Reply
This looks great, Cindy. Definitely worth your late night sewing spree!
Amanda S. said... (6/2/09 8:41 PM) Reply
Great dress, Cindy. I love the maxi trend. When I will get around to it, I'm not sure. Have you ever used clear thread? I've seen it but not tried it. Maybe you could use that for future hems and it wouldn't show since it's clear.
EleanorSews said... (6/2/09 8:29 PM) Reply
Very pretty! Fits nicely and the fabric is perfect.
Twinset said... (6/2/09 8:24 PM) Reply
What a beautiful girl in a beautiful dress!! This print was made for you!
Terri Smith said... (6/2/09 8:14 PM) Reply
great dress and thanks for the elastic tips.
Ann Smith said... (6/2/09 8:10 PM) Reply
What a great dress! Perfect on you. BTW is that 3 desserts on your plate??
Patti B said... (6/2/09 7:55 PM) Reply
Such a darling dress for a sweet occasion.
loohoo44 said... (6/2/09 7:50 PM) Reply
WOW Cindy, great dress, great dress on you, and great fabric!! I've used my serger/blind hem foot on silk jersey, wool doubleknit, and rayon doubleknit, I'll PM you about it.
donna mel said... (6/2/09 7:40 PM) Reply
your timing is PERFECT! i was hoping to find a nice halter dress pattern and there you were. i LOVE yours and hope mine will be a nice. i'm planning to shorten it and wear it as a beach cover-up.
Bonnie O said... (6/2/09 7:24 PM) Reply
Heatherrique said... (6/2/09 7:05 PM) Reply
You look mega fabulous, Cindy! Definitely one of my favorite outfits on you! Thanks for sharing that TOTALLY rad and cool pic of you and your sweetheart. Happy Anniversary!
Knitters Delight said... (6/2/09 7:02 PM) Reply
I love the other Simplicity Pattern, but this is a real winner for your anniversary dinner. Stunning.
Gold said... (6/2/09 6:49 PM) Reply
You looked lovely in your dress!!
Leslie in Austin said... (6/2/09 6:40 PM) Reply
Maybe he figures it doesn't matter what he looks like b/c no one will even notice him when you're on his arm. Fab-u-lous.
MelissaB in WA said... (6/2/09 6:15 PM) Reply
That turned out beautifullly! I had that pattern in my cart the other day and remembered our "no big 4" rule and put it back - now I'm mad I did. You look gorgeous - happy anniversary! :-)
Aixoise said... (6/2/09 6:02 PM) Reply
Who cares what they call it - you're a knockout in that dress! Very fresh and pretty.
Re Becca said... (6/2/09 5:29 PM) Reply
OMG, you look so Vanna White (only w/good, brunette hair) you look breath taking!
Byrdie said... (6/2/09 5:22 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I love the print... it's very flattering.
CypGrl said... (6/2/09 5:15 PM) Reply
Bet that this review will help sell a ~lot~ of Simplicity 3503s. Hope they are on sale somewhere this week -- or that I already have it in stash -- even better! Just checked -- it is 3502 that I have. Oh so close...
nicegirl said... (6/2/09 5:15 PM) Reply
Very pretty! I don't know what hem finishes are used on high end RTW knits, but on medium end it is often a coverstitch or even just a raw edge.