Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> Frenchy Bag (Frenchy Bag)

Reviewed by:Mrs. Columbo

About Mrs. Columbostar
BC CANADA
Member since: 6/3/06
Posted on:6/13/09 6:10 PM
Last Updated:6/13/09 6:43 PM

brooksie99 said... (6/20/09 10:03 PM) Reply
Great review! I too wondered about the "mismatched" top panel and bag pattern pieces; I thought it may have to do with the curves/angles except I learned that when matching convex and concave pieces that I should clip and notch to form the seam. In fact, this is the only way I ever learned that pattern pieces like this would align, and I found it curious that such instructions were not included. I honestly think this is why the topstitching is so wonky on the inside when the bag is finished? I may write Amy Butler and ask this specific question...not that I want a free pattern or anything ;) Your tips on interfacing are very helpful; love the way the top of your bag has more body- I'll try your technique in my next Frenchy bag. Thanks so much!
Mrs. Columbo said... (6/18/09 6:30 PM) Reply
maryfrana you will really enjoy making this bag .. I wrote to AB and said how I had a hard time lining up the bag top and the bag panel. They sent me two AB patterns .. I can't wait to try the new Field Bag .. it's HUGE! My 19 yr old daughter will love it if one of my dogs doesn't find it first. :)
maryfrana said... (6/15/09 11:03 AM) Reply
I have had this pattern in my hand more than once but never bought it. Your review has inspired me. Love your bag and thanks for the details.
Mrs. Columbo said... (6/14/09 7:08 PM) Reply
I'm a real novice and quite anal about sewing. I take ages to pore over things (small wonder it took me over a year to design my first bear pattern!!) This was quite simple and the second one should go faster. :)
Woolygal said... (6/14/09 8:52 AM) Reply
I think if you use plenty of steam and hold that iron for 10 seconds in each spot, you'll get the fusibles to work.Ask how I know.
Nancywin said... (6/13/09 10:58 PM) Reply
This is a really cute bag! I've made a few bags and I know they are a lot of work. Your's turned out very nicely. And how lucky your daughter's friend is!

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell