Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2472

Posted on:1/12/04 12:43 PM
Last Updated:1/12/04 12:50 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people

Robin Denning said... (12/4/06 3:04 PM) Reply
Wow! I am thinking of making this coat so it was great to find this review. Thanks for the inspiration! when I see amazing fabrics like that, now I will have ideas about what can be done.
valerie sews said... (4/8/04 7:06 AM) Reply
I'd seen this coat pattern in the catalogue and thought it boring until I saw your coat. Perfect use of material to pattern, the effect is fabulous
Claudia Resch said... (1/23/04 11:51 AM) Reply
I lov ed the fabric, and the pattern - went right out and bought it. If you're curious about the fabric, a Canadian designer used it in her fal collection. Go to www, to see it - and a lot of other ideas for chic casual clothes!
CarolynGM said... (1/13/04 7:06 AM) Reply
Wow Ann. You've transformed a rather ordinary pattern into a stunning garment through your creativity and this very unusual fabric.
Deepika said... (1/12/04 8:31 PM) Reply
awesome awesome awesome! You are one hell of a sewer Ann. Lovely coat!
Danvillegirl said... (1/12/04 7:06 PM) Reply
Wow! I am so impressed. That material is something else made up the way you did it. I would have never ever thought of doing that, just not that creative. Looks really great!!!!
Ann Smith said... (1/12/04 6:10 PM) Reply
Thanks everybody for the compliments. Gorgeous Things, the fabric is from don't think they have it now Harriet + Lisa: It is really quite different from the Sandra Betzina coat. The SB coat has cut on sleeves which are full and this has raglan sleeves which are closer fitting. The SB coat is full at top and tapers to the bottome, this is straight up and down. The collar is higher on this one and of course the lining and shoulder pads. Harriet: you do the photo links by using the clickable link on the review page. Copy and paste the address of your photo to get the HTML and then paste into your review. Hope that helps.
SandraC said... (1/12/04 5:21 PM) Reply
Ann, all I can say is your coat is absolutely stunning!
els said... (1/12/04 5:01 PM) Reply
Ann your coat is smashing, and I agree with all the other compliments already written as above.
PattiA said... (1/12/04 4:30 PM) Reply
Ann, another amazing creation! you must turn heads for all the right reasons--everything you sew looks so pulled together--no one can beat your color sense. This is a fabulous garment out of a fabric that most of us would walk away from, saying, "What could anyone do with that?" Really a knock-out, one-of-a-kind garment!
GorgeousFabrics said... (1/12/04 3:53 PM) Reply
Ann, where did you get the fabric?
Sew Jane said... (1/12/04 3:52 PM) Reply
Wow, Wow, Wow! Gorgeous. I wouldn't have touched this fabric with a 10 foot pole. (because of no imagination and plenty of fear) You're very creative and inspirational. I enjoy seeing all of your garments and reading the reviews. Cool coat!
Modiste Madness said... (1/12/04 3:48 PM) Reply
I love your reviews. If you have one on the board I open it immediately and I am never disappointed. Thanks for being such a diligent reviewer. I love your funky coat fabric. It, combined with your inspiration and skill, have made a wonderful coat.
Lizzy said... (1/12/04 3:40 PM) Reply
What can I say that hasn't already been said. Wow! I love it!
Harriet Rogers said... (1/12/04 3:21 PM) Reply
Ann: this is great looking. Funny: I see another reader asked you about the Betzina coat because I was going to ask the same thing: how are they alike? different? (I gather this coat is lined: right?) Terrific fabric for a one-of-a-kind coat. As usual, looks elegant on you. I have a "technical" question: what do you do to get links into your reviews (not the big picture). I'd like to send some additional pictures, but I don't know how to get them in the body of review. Thanks for showing yet another unique pattern from your what must be fabulous wardrobe!
MaryBeth said... (1/12/04 3:04 PM) Reply
I would not have figured out what pattern to use with this coat! Glad you did, tho. It's a fascinating creation and, to think that when I look at the pattern's line drawing I see camel hair or heavy gabardine! Look what I would have missed. Great job!
cindyann said... (1/12/04 2:42 PM) Reply
As usual Ann, another work of art. It's just beautiful and so unusual. I'm sure you'll get plenty of flattering comments on this one.
GorgeousFabrics said... (1/12/04 2:24 PM) Reply
WOW! That's amazing fabric!!! It's amazing how the fabrication changes the nature of the coat. I made this same coat several years back in a cashmere/mink blend, and it looks nothing at all like this. I love your garments Ann.
Lisa Laree said... (1/12/04 2:20 PM) Reply
Great, fun-looking coat! How does this compare to your Sandra Betzina coat, fit-wise?
MaryG said... (1/12/04 2:18 PM) Reply
Ann, that is so tres chic! I love looking through your reviews. The garments you make are such an inspiration to me and you really have a marvelous sense of style and color. Thanks for sharing!
maybbm said... (1/12/04 2:14 PM) Reply
It is a fabulous coat!! You will turn many heads. About the dangling yarns/loops. How about bringing them up and stitching them down here and there to the bottom area of the coat and sleeves, leaving loops at hem lines?
Motorposus said... (1/12/04 2:01 PM) Reply
Ann, when I read that it was "lined with shoulder pads", I thought you were *really* wild!
Ann Smith said... (1/12/04 1:26 PM) Reply
Motorposus: It is black silk crepe...feels great. The way I wrote that it sounds like I lined it with shoulder pads! jlg: How wild do you think I am?
jlg said... (1/12/04 1:21 PM) Reply
Oh, Ann, how cool. It's very wild looking and seems to suit you very well. Are you perhaps wilder than we realize?
Motorposus said... (1/12/04 1:16 PM) Reply
Wow, that's some funky fabric! You've made beautiful use of it. The effect is luxurious and dressy; it would be a lovely thing to wear to the opera (avant-garde opera, preferably). What kind of fabric did you use for the lining?

by: Sheila457