Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

• Pressing Leather
    • Sewing Darts
    • Inserting Zipper
    • Finishing
  9. Bonus: A 29 page PDF document showing step by step photos of all the different types of darts and seams. ">Leather 101 Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2917 (Women's Tunic)

Reviewed by:PatCSM

Last Updated:7/30/09 5:28 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Plus

Cathy Loves Fabric said... (8/1/09 11:37 PM) Reply
PatCSM, that's a great idea. I'm glad to hear it, because you are almost there. I do the same thing.
PatCSM said... (8/1/09 5:53 AM) Reply
Thanks for all your comments. I think I will put this away for a couple of weeks, then pull it out and try again.
Annette1 said... (8/1/09 0:11 AM) Reply
No, don't throw it out, or at least don't give up on this pattern! You just need to go down a size, in my NON-EXPERT opinion, or at least one. It really drapes so beautifully, and the neckline is so cute! I think if you just go down a notch, you'll have it made in the shade!
BeeBeeSew said... (7/31/09 8:38 AM) Reply
Oh, I so agree, this is way too big! Your front seams should be more towards the center, across the apex of the bust. Your shoulders and neck are too big, even the bustline under your arms. Look how it pulls under and in front of the arm and the shoulder seam is too long. You probably need to start with a size smaller and not take out so much of the shaping. You took all the shaping out of the top below the bust, look at how it flares out about where your hands are. When you did your FBA did you take back in the extra below the bust line? Honestly, I think this style would be very flattering on you, would give you some shape, but you just haven't gotten there yet on this one. I would put it on wrong side out and start pinning to see how you can improve it. I hope I didn't come across as mean, I really meant my comments to help. I think you could look really nice in this style, but I suspect you started too big and then over-altered the bust line.
arianamaniacs said... (7/31/09 3:25 AM) Reply
I also think that you'd be happier with it with a smaller size. I don't know if you added width to the center front, but the princess lines will be more flattering if they fall directly over the center of the breast. A seam down the center front might be able to fix that and make the fit more tailored. Keep trying!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (7/31/09 1:10 AM) Reply
Pat, I agree with Clin. I am an apple too and have made similar patterns. In my opinion, the neck and high bust are too big. For example, from armpit to armpit. Ok there is a much better term for armpit, lol. I start with a smaller neck and armhole size and add extra to the side seam and FBA. And there is too much fabric around your stomach, which is contributing to the look you don't like. The raised neckline and FBA look great and that was the hard part. You have an awful lot of work in this pattern, but it is possible for it to still work for you. Princess seams are the apple's best friend! Good luck. Happy Sewing.
carolynw said... (7/30/09 9:58 PM) Reply
Geez I hope I don't offend you but I think the problem is that you are making this bigger than you need to - If you take in some of the excess in the seams from the bust down I bet you'll be more happy with the fit - let's see what others have to say

by: yummymummy...