Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Member since: 3/13/06
Posted on:8/6/09 11:44 PM
Last Updated:1/30/10 0:08 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
sfshaza said... (2/3/10 3:15 PM) Reply
Wow, Dorothy, this is so smart looking. I love it!!
sew2little said... (1/30/10 5:23 PM) Reply
OMG--you beat me in posting a new jacket in this fabric! Love yours too!
renren said... (1/30/10 3:24 PM) Reply
Very nice! TO BONNIE: This fabric is at fabricmartfabrics.com under Vera Wang, but their offering is a silk cotton blend, and I do believe it was a sheer. However, you might find it suits your needs.
j222b said... (1/30/10 2:52 PM) Reply
I like this version of the jacket even better than the last!
bonnie said... (1/30/10 11:38 AM) Reply
Incredible workmanship and choice of fabric.. I fell in love with this fabric at MT website, but was too late to order some. Has anyone else seen this elsewhere??
Barbara V said... (1/30/10 11:28 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket....one of a kind beauty. The stretch cotton worked out well and sews into a jacket that is so nice to wear now towards spring.
carolynw said... (1/30/10 10:05 AM) Reply
Dorothy this is beyond eye catching - I would certainly stop you on the street but with a view to theft of garment - good thing a continent divides us but I travel a lot so ---It's just so beautiful - thanks for sharing
Rebecca D said... (1/30/10 8:47 AM) Reply
This new version is too die for - it's no surprise that folks are stopping you on the street. The fabric is gorgeous and it's a perfect marriage with that pattern.
moushka said... (10/19/09 8:24 PM) Reply
Your jacket is stunning. I've heard of the fake HK finish before but never seen it in action. Makes a great finish. Thanks for persevering as we all benefited from your experience. Great review.
Ann Smith said... (8/7/09 9:56 PM) Reply
I'm so happy you persevered with this project and Barbara came along just at the right moment to help with the organza finish. This looks fantastic on you. Elvira seems to like it also.
Karendee said... (8/7/09 7:31 PM) Reply
This jacket is especially lovely on you. The collar and color and some of my favorites, and I love working with dupioni as well. I have saved your technique on Hong Kong seam finishes; you described it perfectly so that I can understand the process.
Michelle L said... (8/7/09 4:32 PM) Reply
What a wonderful jacket! So chic!
persevering said... (8/7/09 2:58 PM) Reply
Stunning! Glad this worked out so well for you.
DorothyK said... (8/7/09 12:39 PM) Reply
grey ann, a DF is "dear friend," just as DH is "dear husband," etc. For the fake Hong Kong finish, I made the organza 5/8" larger on each side. When I matched the raw edges of the organza with the dupioni and stitched a 1/4" seam on each side, the organza became bunched in the middle. But when I turned it right side out, the organza wrapped itself around the quarter inch seam to the other side. The extra 1/8" was taken up in the turn. Try it with some scrap fabric and you will see it works.
stitchwitch said... (8/7/09 11:47 AM) Reply
Thankyou for such a good review Dorothy. You look lovely in your jacket and so worth the effort!
Barbara V said... (8/7/09 10:43 AM) Reply
Dorothy, your jacket turned out beautifully. The fake Hong Kong seam finish looks fantastic..so glad to be able to spend some time together working on the technique with you. Now I want to use this technique sometime soon as well. The color, fit and style look so perfect for you and is set off nicely with black on the bottom.
marthamyers said... (8/7/09 10:35 AM) Reply
Yours is lovely. The color is great on you and your workmanship is flawless. Thanks for the suggestion on the collar and shoulder seam. Although I've made this twice now, both times I struggled a bit with this. Maybe I'll make it again and use the pivoting technique. Thanks for the review.
Pam Padilla said... (8/7/09 10:09 AM) Reply
This review was extremely helpful to me. I am glad she stayed with the project because I learned a lot from her experience.
carolynw said... (8/7/09 9:01 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket - love the color of the silk - aren't good sewing buddies just worth their weight in gold?!
Karine said... (8/7/09 9:00 AM) Reply
What a lovely jacket. Your finishing with the organza is brilliant! Thanks for the helpful review.
grey ann said... (8/7/09 8:49 AM) Reply
Looks great! What is a "DF?" and I'm still confused about how you did the HK finish? If you matched raw edges, how did you have extra organza to wrap? Thanks.
Fran G said... (8/7/09 8:39 AM) Reply
What a great job and your review highlights the value of sewing friends/mentors! The color you chose is lovely and the collar shape is a favorite of mine. Such a great pattern...thanks for the review!
Fran S said... (8/7/09 6:57 AM) Reply
Dorothy, Looks great! This pattern is on my wish list and I will definitely refer back to your comments when I make it. Interesting on the underlining -- I've not done that before either.
Raye Ann said... (8/7/09 0:56 AM) Reply
this is really, really, beautiful. congratulations on your new jacket!

Other My Childhood Treasures