Online Sewing Class: Understanding Sheer Fabrics

About Barbara Vstarstarstarstar
Posted on:8/14/09 6:26 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

Christas said... (9/15/09 0:13 AM) Reply
Barbara! This is such a stunning dress! I haven't been on PR very much lately, and I somehow missed this review. It is beautiful, and I really love the pin tucking detail. Of course your husband thinks it looks great! Who wouldn't love this dress?!
Barbara V said... (8/15/09 10:49 PM) Reply
Thank you to all for your comments! Dorothy, the pintucking idea was something I wanted to do for contrast in the bodice. After looking through Carol Laflin Ahles "Fine Machine Sewing", I see that what I did is better described as finely folded tucks. At any rate, I must have seen something like this made up, but now I have forgotten its origin. That is a good reason to complete a pattern review soon after finishing a garment. Hee hee.
magoe6217 said... (8/15/09 5:45 PM) Reply
Your perseverance paid off beautifully. This is a gorgeous dress and you are gorgeous in it. The addition of the pin tucks takes this out of the realm of the ordinary into a couture level dress. Your tip on cutting the skirt on straight of grain is excellent. If I decide to make this dress I will definitely follow your advice. Congratulations on a beautiful finished product.
halleyscomet said... (8/15/09 2:52 PM) Reply
I think the dress turned out wonderful! I love the color on you. Very chic!
eugenia123 said... (8/15/09 6:08 AM) Reply
All that work really paid off, this dress looks fantastic on you - very elegant. That pintucked bodice adds a beautiful couture touch. Wear it asap!
DorothyK said... (8/15/09 0:49 AM) Reply
Wow Barbara, this is amazing. I'm so glad you persevered. It was so worth it. You look spectacular in this dress. I'm sure you will find a worthy occasion to wear it. Were the pin tucks part of the pattern or were they your idea? You did an impeccable job.
Ann Smith said... (8/14/09 11:13 PM) Reply
I'm so happy you finally got back to this. That bodice is so beautiful I couldn't bear this sitting in the back of your closet unfinished.
Raye Ann said... (8/14/09 11:00 PM) Reply
beautiful pintucks! i am glad you eventually got back to it. you have a gorgeous dress to enjoy now:)
Amanda S. said... (8/14/09 10:33 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you took the time to rework it. VERY gorgeous dress on you, and the pintucked top is flawless. Now I'm wondering if I need to add some back darts to mine...
Heatherrique said... (8/14/09 9:39 PM) Reply
I totally agree with your husband! I adore this style and color on you!
SpinningJenny said... (8/14/09 8:59 PM) Reply
Wow! The pintucked bodice is a terrific feature. It's also lovely to hear how PR members inspire and encourage each other - often unknowingly.
Kayseri said... (8/14/09 8:34 PM) Reply
I love the pleated bodice and overall your dress looks great. Definitely well worth the extra trouble fitting it.
crazygrad said... (8/14/09 8:23 PM) Reply
Very pretty!

Pattern Work
Pattern Work

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern