Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 1089 (Drape neckline Top)

Reviewed by:RuthieSews

Last Updated:2/26/10 6:15 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 21 people

Other Projects by RuthieSews using this Pattern

Nancy Rhodes said... (2/27/10 8:05 AM) Reply
Off the top of my head the PR member coined term Frankenpattern comes to mind.. somebody with a better memory than mine please chime in with the proper credit.. 'cause I love that term... what a journey.. Great Review!
Annette1 said... (9/1/09 1:58 AM) Reply
Hmmmmm, no wonder your tops look so much better than the illustrations: You've got some morphing going on. I LOVE the drape on these tops, and you REALLY look good in them!
Heidi Ho said... (8/31/09 9:58 PM) Reply
Nice tops!! I love all your variations.
Nancy K said... (8/31/09 1:31 PM) Reply
I agree with Pam that if you get the shoulders in the right place the fit will be much improved. I also see that the fit across the front seems quite wide, so check when you've narrowed the shoulders and see if the front seam line doesn't need to be cut in a bit.
Kisha said... (8/31/09 12:52 PM) Reply
It looks wonderful. I truly like your version better. Especially the fit from below the bust down. I'm going to take your suggestions and morph the cowl portion on to a TNT fitted t-shirt. Thanks so much!
davin said... (8/31/09 12:01 PM) Reply
I, too, have had problems with their patterns! And their reaction to my questions, after the first one, was snippy and dismissive. Donn't forget, they show you drawings, not photos. The look too often is deceptive, though seductive.
sewbehind said... (8/31/09 11:40 AM) Reply
That is gorgeous on you, Ruthie and I must say that you are looking fabulous these days.
Elona said... (8/31/09 10:58 AM) Reply
Ruthie, you nailed the fit! The new tops look spectacular on you, just terrific.
sew obsessed said... (8/31/09 10:04 AM) Reply
Wow, this was a great save! You really look fabulous in the latest revision. I applaud your determination with this pattern. I was going to pass on it but since you have had a huge success with the latest one I'm off to buy it:-) Thank you for a most thorough review. M
yorkshire lass said... (8/20/09 3:10 AM) Reply
Oh wow. Congratulations on saving this pattern. It looks lovely on you and I look forward to seeing the final version with sleeves in. Well done, I bet morphing the pieces was not all that straightforward.
jannw said... (8/19/09 8:09 PM) Reply
Quite a difference in the two..thanx for all the info and your steps in fitting this pattern.
RLL said... (8/19/09 6:20 PM) Reply
What a difference! Get those sleeves back on and wear it proudly. Nice save.
Geordie Girl said... (8/18/09 3:55 PM) Reply
Sorry it didn't work out. It looks as though it has potential though if you keep at it.
Pam~Off The Cuff~ said... (8/18/09 6:28 AM) Reply
Ruthie...it seems that your shoulder seams are too long. You will see the drape of the cowl improve quite a lot when this is corrected... because with a cowl neckline the garment needs proper shoulder support to drape nicely. As it is now...the shoulder seam is actually pulling the cowl drape "Horizontally", rather than encouraging the cowl to drape "vertically". And...in a more "fluid" fabric, the cowl will have a pleasing drape. So..I think that once you fit the pattern (especially the shoulders), you'll be happier with it :) As with any other pattern...the fit is rarely spot-on right out of the envelope..that's why we all make muslins (fitting garments/ trial garments)..then adjust the pattern accordingly :)
Raye Ann said... (8/17/09 10:54 PM) Reply
sorry you didn't get the sexy, drapey, gorgeousness on this one, but definately go down a size and try a different fabric. this pattern in on its way to me, so thank you so much for posting even though you are unhappy with this one.... keep trying, I bet it will be great!
Elona said... (8/17/09 7:36 PM) Reply
It looks to me also as though it might be a fabric problem. You want a knit so clingy that it would be obscene in a close-fitting garment--but that you could get away with if there were basically a lot of extra fabric draping, swooping, and slopping around here and there.
michellep74 said... (8/17/09 6:34 PM) Reply
I made this view and used a very drapey rayon knit and am happy with the drape. (Still haven't photographed it yet.) From my experience, Trudy is correct that this view has the most ease out of the three--particularly in the bust area...which works great for me (and my ginormiboobs), but I could see where someone with a more normal size bust might want to go down a size or two.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (8/17/09 6:33 PM) Reply
"I want that drapey gorgeousness..." Me, too, Ruthie!! Me, too!! You'll "get it"!!
Kaitlinnegan said... (8/17/09 6:30 PM) Reply
Hmm. Maybe your issues may be the fabric. It seems like it may just not be drapy enough? It doesn't seem like the draped effect should be something *you* have to work at - it should be "built in" to the pattern, regardless of any fitting issues. Thanks so much for your review. Who knows..maybe this variation is just a dud!