Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3990 (K.Ali Plus Size Shirts)

Reviewed by:sewinggeek

Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Vests    Tops    Plus
mssewcrazy said... (10/13/09 8:53 AM) Reply
I like it also. I think I want to try this pattern. Whichever size I choose will probably not be the perect one either.
sewinggeek said... (10/13/09 4:16 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the nice comments. I think I will do something about the sleeves, but I was just so tired of this shirt that when it was done, it was done!
LornaJay said... (10/13/09 3:39 AM) Reply
The size you sew is - your size! Seriously though, you're unlikely to ever get a pattern which comes out the box and fits, which is why it's often worth sewing several once you've got a pattern that *is* in your size after all the fiddling.
Janie Viers said... (10/13/09 0:43 AM) Reply
It looks very nice on you.. The only thing I might suggest would be to shorten the sleeves. Sleeves really add the illusion of being wider than reality (and in my case reality is enough!)
renren said... (10/12/09 11:29 PM) Reply
I agree with everyone else: I think this top looks better on you than you think it looks! I, too, am struggling with a steep learning curve with regard to fit. And even after 18 reviews, well dog gone it, I still don't know what size I am!!! (Okay, okay, some of the reviews were of things I sewed for my cats and dog . . . but still . . . ) Two people have suggested I change my rating from Beginner to Advanced Beginner, but I'm leery of doing that when I don't have a clue where I fall in a rather large size range!!! Even after I'm done with a garment, after all the alterations and modifications, I don't really know what size I ended up sewing. Frustrating . . . but we WILL get through this. In the meantime, I would say you have a fine blouse to wear!
carolynw said... (10/12/09 11:07 PM) Reply
You know I really like this blouse on you - the fabric is beautiful. The only little change I would suggest is that you make the sleeves a bit narrower but other than that - even with that - it looks very nice. Please don't give up on it - hang it in the "thinking about" closet for a week and I bet you'll like it a lot when you re-visit!!
Sweetiebop said... (10/12/09 9:37 PM) Reply
Learning on a pattern that you want to work is a pain in the rumpus but you did a great job of sticking with it and making a nice blouse that (you may not think is wearable) is wearable and very nice on you.
sewtime said... (10/12/09 9:00 PM) Reply
I love the blouse on you! Beautiful material!!
sewnsewtoo said... (10/12/09 8:52 PM) Reply
Your blouse is pretty. I hope you'll like it better after a few wearings. I made the same pattern in the Set in Sleeves online class. Sarah Veblen was very helpful. Without her I would have really floundered. I had to adjust the bust quite a bit.
Aunt Gail said... (10/12/09 8:29 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review. I've got the patttern but haven't started on it. I think --without you making a muslin- that you did pretty well considering the amount of changes you encountered. I really believe that if you work with this pattern again--using a cheapy material/mulin style You will soon be much happier. This isn't that bad - and the colors look very nice on you :)
JTink said... (10/12/09 6:50 PM) Reply
You did a fine job on this blouse, even with all it's aggravations;-) I have this pattern too and just love the way it turns out. Not having to make an FBA is a real plus. The material is lovely. Did you ever find out what your "range" is? Do you need to start with a smaller size at the top? I have narrow shoulders too, and have learned to cut a size smaller in that area and take an inch out of the shoulder. This is a lovely blouse. Your Grandmother had a great eye for color.
Riesie said... (10/12/09 5:54 PM) Reply
I think this would be lovely with a nice pair of dressy summery pants.
mastdenman said... (10/12/09 5:33 PM) Reply
I really like the blouse on you. I think you should let it rest for a couple of weeks in the back of the closet and then try it on again.

by: Dei