Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1476 (Miyake coat pattern)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:2/6/04 12:38 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear

mmemagpie said... (1/18/09 1:33 AM) Reply
Ann, you used the fabric to great effect here, and seeing how it worked gives me some more ideas about what type of weave to look for. Just a follow up to my comment about V7746, you may want to know that I can only see your first photo--the overall front view that appears above. None of the details came up when I clicked on them. Maybe this is a problem with my computer. Thanks. Susan
sew-wannabe said... (7/20/05 8:56 PM) Reply
Ann, Thanks for the very helpful review. I just purchased this pattern on e-bay, and can't wait to get going. I'm still looking for fabric-thinking about a black wool crepe or knit. I have read all your reviews, and enjoyed them very much. We seem to have similar tastes in patterns. Your coat looks great on you! Thanks again.
Elisabetha said... (8/23/04 9:33 AM) Reply
Thanks Ann; at last this pattern will be used; all I need to do is find the appropriate fabric; going to Paris soon so hope I'll find it there. Once again thanks
Ann Smith said... (8/20/04 9:46 AM) Reply
This coat is very oversized. I believe the different pattern sizes are all the same as in One Size Fits All. I think it wil fit anyone with no alterations. If your arms are very long the sleeves may be 3/4 length but that will look ok.
Elisabetha said... (8/19/04 6:00 AM) Reply
Ann, Thank you so much for this review; I've had this pattern for about 15 years but I've become bigger than the largest size in the pattern and have no idea where to make it bigger; and ideas please?
marigold said... (2/9/04 4:09 PM) Reply
Beautiful, Ann!
Skymom said... (2/9/04 11:56 AM) Reply
This more than makes up for the Koos dress! Hooray for this Miyake classic. I'm still looking for the ideal lightweight fabric that drapes and has a nice right and wrong side. And for my kids to be able to get in and out of the car independently...can't see wearing this will installing babes into car seats.
Ann Smith said... (2/8/04 12:58 PM) Reply
Rennie, definitely very drapey fabric. Also, be sure the fabric isn't heavy because you will be wearing the entire 5 yards!
Rennie Ashby said... (2/8/04 12:51 PM) Reply
Ann, this looks so great on you! I tried this once and it became a wadder. I called it my Mama Cass coat and DH said it looked like I belonged on the streets of NY selling hot watches and such. Glad it worked for you. Maybe my fabric was too stiff. I think it needs something very drapey.
Ann Smith said... (2/8/04 2:44 AM) Reply
Skye, the Vogue 7640 that we have both made (love that one, too) is much more fitted across the back and has normal set in sleeves. The drape falls just down the front. The Miyake has lots more fabric in it (be careful your fabric isn't heavy or the coat is overwhelming to wear), is full all around with the drape front continuing into the collar and deep sleeves. Quite different really.
Skye said... (2/7/04 5:46 PM) Reply
sorry Anne wrong number vogue 7640 and I see that we have both made it :) I am off to buy this pattern today half price sale on in our local spotlight
drsue said... (2/7/04 10:16 AM) Reply
What a fun coat! Great use of stash fabric, I must say.
Ann Smith said... (2/7/04 1:58 AM) Reply
Skye, I'm not familiar with Vogue 7649 and it doesn't seem to be current. Can you describe it? It is probably not similar as the Miyake patterns are quite unique.
Skye said... (2/7/04 0:22 AM) Reply
Ann your coat looks really great I have looked at this pattern recently but thought I was too short to cary it off I am 5'3" so a smigeon taller than you so I will give thhis a go . Is it a bit like jacket vogue 7649?
Danvillegirl said... (2/6/04 7:49 PM) Reply
Looks great on you. You can definitely pull this off well. Thanks for the review. You are very inspiring.
Ann Smith said... (2/6/04 7:35 PM) Reply
Cattgirl, I think the pattern is doable for someone with less experience. The main challenge, as with any Miyake pattern, is that the pattern pieces are unfamiliar shapes and it is a little puzzling to figure out how it works. This one only has 2 main pieces, the main body with collar, and the sleeve/yoke. The body is cut on the fold so you have one long piece of fabric to deal with. The other main thing to do is turning and topstitching the edges with mitered corners. Not hard.
Claudia Resch said... (2/6/04 5:34 PM) Reply
Gorgeous as always. I'd never have recognized it as the Miyake. Great idea with the wrong side.
Cattgirl said... (2/6/04 3:47 PM) Reply
Is this a pattern you'd recommend for someone with less sewing experience to try? If so, are there any special challenges a beginner should be aware of? I'd love to take a run at this.
MaryBeth said... (2/6/04 3:33 PM) Reply
This materials has been made into a silk purse! using your Miyaki pattern. I love the long scarf and didn't realize that the pattern has had such a long history. Lovely review. Thanks for taking the time you did to write it and photograph all the different looks. Very rich looking.
Linda E. said... (2/6/04 2:35 PM) Reply
Ann Thanks for you review the coats are beautiful. I have made this coat once been thinking about making a couple for my daughters. I was thinking ablr fringing the edges instead of turing the edges over or maybe a blanket stitch on the edges. Thanks again for a great review and I love your coat both of them
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/6/04 1:15 PM) Reply
Fabulous job, as always Ann!
Mai S said... (2/6/04 1:15 PM) Reply
I made this coat and yes, surprisingly it is easy to sew. Made mine out of polartec 100microfleece. Someday I will make a seond one but while the sleeves fit perfectly I think I would prefer a longer coat. I am 5'7" and the pattern came out a bit shorter than I thought it would; obviously the model on the pattern cover is short. Now that I have sewn it it will be easy to alter.
CatherineN said... (2/6/04 12:55 PM) Reply
This looks wonderful in both fabrics. This style is good for CA where we don't often need to bundle up for blizzards. Brown is such a good color on you.

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest