Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6383 (Western Shirt)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Peter in NYC said... (10/20/09 6:18 AM) Reply
Thanks, guys. I must confess here that after taking a closer look at the shirt yesterday on a hanger, I suddenly noticed I had put the buttons and buttonholes on the cuffs backwards! I had to stitch up the buttonholes, remove the buttons, and re-do/re-attach them on the correct side. If you look at the photos you can actually see that they're backwards. Oh well! And sadly, I do believe 1978 is currently considered vintage...but at least it's not antique!
nancy2001 said... (10/19/09 3:30 PM) Reply
Your shirt looks great. Very professional.
BlossomKyle said... (10/19/09 0:37 AM) Reply
AMAZING!!
SandraB said... (10/18/09 7:26 PM) Reply
Gorgeous shirt Peter. Each shirt that you make is better than the last one. I love looking at your photos. Quite the comedian aren't you?
Woolygal said... (10/18/09 4:54 PM) Reply
Yea Peter - the shirt is well done.
Nancy Anne said... (10/18/09 2:57 PM) Reply
As always, a very well-written and informative review, as well as extremely well-executed shirt. Cracks me up you call it "busy", with the floral prints you've made recently. :-)
Kemish said... (10/18/09 11:41 AM) Reply
Great review. Your picasa diary is very entertaining as are your reviews (and informative, too). But wait! No way, can you remember, That Girl! You must have seen those shows in re-runs!
donna mel said... (10/18/09 7:34 AM) Reply
is 1978 vintage?! i'm getting OLD. love your shirt.
fourkid said... (10/18/09 3:11 AM) Reply
Love the shirt!
Michelle L said... (10/17/09 11:07 PM) Reply
Great work! You put together such fantastic reviews.
carolynw said... (10/17/09 10:53 PM) Reply
Another terrific review and I just love the shirt - great work with the plaid. Poor Michael - you'll just have to do it again Peter!!
Peter in NYC said... (10/17/09 8:48 PM) Reply
Guys, you rock. OMG, I had never even heard of the Sartorialist but now I can see it's going to be a new obsession. I promise the next thing I sew will be for Michael...or the one after that for sure; I'm started to feel the heat!
Karendee said... (10/17/09 8:42 PM) Reply
Wonderful shirt, great fabric and excellent workmanship. You are very impressive with your work.
RLL said... (10/17/09 8:04 PM) Reply
You are so amusing. I love your commentary to your photos. # 11 cracked me up, among others. I love the bias pieces too, great way to really draw interest to the plaid. I was wondering when you were going to start sewing for someone else (Michael) but, there is always next time! Excellent shirt.
Sewing Joe said... (10/17/09 5:59 PM) Reply
Great googly moogly! Your topstitching is perfect. I'm wondering if there are two plackets since it was a unisex shirt--so there'd be a placket on either side you chose to put the buttons.
Lynnelle said... (10/17/09 5:21 PM) Reply
The shirt goes well with the pistachio bench, too. Love the shirt and photo commentary. Well done!
FreyaStark said... (10/17/09 4:07 PM) Reply
An excellent job. Well done. You're right about trimming the french seam. Having threads peeping out after the first stitching is a common problem, so it's always wise to check and trim before turning and stitching again.
Kaitlinnegan said... (10/17/09 3:02 PM) Reply
Gorgeous. Your attention to detail really comes through in the finished shirt. You belong on the Sartorialist!
Heatherrique said... (10/17/09 1:24 PM) Reply
Great review of a fun and impeccably made shirt! I adore your versions of vintage patterns!
Aixoise said... (10/17/09 1:19 PM) Reply
Plaid overload - LOL. It's a beautiful shirt. Your topstitching skills ought to win a prize. Surely you can upgrade your sewing level to Very Skilled Intermediate.
Rhoda K said... (10/17/09 11:18 AM) Reply
What a beautiful job on this shirt! So professional and looks good on you.
mastdenman said... (10/17/09 11:16 AM) Reply
Nice shirt. I haven't seen a western shirt that was this nice in a long long time.
Gloria W said... (10/17/09 11:15 AM) Reply
Oops! Duplicate
Gloria W said... (10/17/09 11:15 AM) Reply
I absolutely love your photo journals on your projects. I look forward to each new one. This shirt is just beautiful. I wish I had the nerve to tackle a french seam in an armscye.
Tiner W said... (10/17/09 10:44 AM) Reply
What a beautiful shirt! I love the play on the bias and the vintage buttons. And thank you for showing the tiny, tiny bit of raw edge--I was starting to feel like such a slob.
Christas said... (10/17/09 10:43 AM) Reply
Excellent review & very nice looking shirt!
Riesie said... (10/17/09 10:15 AM) Reply
I am so impressed with the workmanship you show on this shirt - job VERY well done! Love the bias on the yoke and cuffs, too.

More Knits