Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5981

About quixoticpixelsstarstar
Member since: 4/2/08
Posted on:11/1/09 9:31 PM
Last Updated:11/1/09 9:59 PM

See other patterns in this category: Outerwear
Batik said... (11/16/09 10:21 AM) Reply
Amazing color on you - would love to see a jacket or coat in a beautiful orange wool - the pattern is so-so but you make it look fantastic!
jnamcd said... (11/3/09 2:03 PM) Reply
Saw this on your blog --really cute jacket!!
Heatherrique said... (11/2/09 8:45 PM) Reply
This is really a gorgeous jacket!
Sandi S said... (11/2/09 6:30 PM) Reply
looks cute! I made this pattern in a lightweight reversible printed quilted fabric and have worn in a bit already. It is definitely generous on the sizing, but the choice of fabric will certainly impact the amount of sophistication vs. circus-tification that it has. That being said - I like your fabric choice a lot!
Barbara V said... (11/2/09 11:11 AM) Reply
You look great in it and happy too, as you should be with such a cute jacket! Your changes and alterations made it a great success.
Christas said... (11/2/09 8:24 AM) Reply
Very cute jacket! Your sleeve alterations are perfect to make this a nice, stylish jacket.
cindyann said... (11/2/09 8:07 AM) Reply
Your coat looks adorable. Thanks for the review. I have this one in the stash!
Gold said... (11/2/09 7:58 AM) Reply
Cute jacket! Somehow I miss this pattern. I will be adding it to my list. Very cute on you.
marec said... (11/2/09 1:32 AM) Reply
Oh, it turned out perfectly, with all the changes you made. Awesome jacket and great colors on you.
Jali said... (11/2/09 0:44 AM) Reply
This is definitely an eye-catcher in a good way. The colour is gorgeous and you wear it nicely with the turtle-neck. I can't imagine my sewing to be half as good as yours in fleece.
MaryDB said... (11/2/09 0:27 AM) Reply
Well good for you - it's turned into a really darling jacket. Nice work.
sew obsessed said... (11/1/09 10:17 PM) Reply
What a great save! I love it! You did a great job redesigning the jacket to suit you.
nglalala said... (11/1/09 10:01 PM) Reply
I think the jacket is cute, too. The picture is gorgeous! I love the color of the leaves.
CCQ said... (10/24/09 8:46 PM) Reply
I think it looks quite cute! I just bought the pattern and some green fabric to try it out.
cindyann said... (10/22/09 3:10 PM) Reply
Ok, I just bought this today so I'm thankful for your review. I think your jacket looks very cute but I'm not sure I selected appropriate fabric for my coat. It's a little stiff so I might save it for another pattern. Thanks for the informative review.
LollyVee said... (10/22/09 3:01 PM) Reply
OOOH I had this one in my wishlist. Now you've got me running scared!
chrisquilts_2 said... (10/22/09 9:49 AM) Reply
I like it a lot. But that said I agree that it has TOO much going on. I think you are right that straightening out the sleeves is the way to go. I think a bell sleeve would be nice with no elastic.
Athene said... (10/22/09 0:57 AM) Reply
I love your jacket. This is a pattern I liked so much I purchased it as soon as it came out.
Em's Summer said... (10/22/09 0:35 AM) Reply
Not a clown outfit at all!!! It's a great anorak and I love it!!!
quixoticpixels said... (10/21/09 10:15 PM) Reply
Yes, Nata, that is the seam allowance that's peeking out there. I should have updated the photo before uploading it here :) I have already chopped off some of the extra width in the sleeve. I didn't keep the flared shape, but probably should have, just to keep the style balanced. Oh well, live and learn! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Nata said... (10/21/09 8:54 PM) Reply
It does not look like clown suit at all. It's cute. I would scale down th sleeve width a lot. I think it will look nice if you make them narrower and leave ungathered at the bottom. Make sure to keep the flared shape though. I also think they will look good gathered if you take out some fullness. I think it needs a couple of inches off. Your collar does not look like the picture. It looks like the SAs at the neck. I think once you finish it it'll look good because you will not have that extra ruffle on the jacket. I am not sure what facing you are talking about. It looks like raw edges. Perhaps it's not the most recent picture. If you are not happy with facing I suggest to rip it loose (sorry), make 2 rows of topstitching as narrow as the style allows, and trim it off. To hold the collar down, trim the SA very close to neckline, topstich facing 3/8" from neck seam, and trim it off. Fleece does not ravel and you can trim it off very close to stitch line.
moonchild61 said... (10/21/09 8:46 PM) Reply
Your jacket is such a pretty fall color; I just love it! I'll be watching for the finished product.
marec said... (10/21/09 5:07 PM) Reply
That is NOT a clown suit...it's cute! Of course, it would look funny using fleece with big BIG dots. Fleece is great to sew with...I only use facings where absolutely necessary. I can't wait to see this when it is done.
digs57 said... (10/21/09 4:34 PM) Reply
I'm with you on the topstitching of the front edges & hem down, just as you did the collar. Also, tack the facings' side edges to the inside of the jacket, catching just a small amount of the inner fleece, so it'll be invisible from the outside. I'm sure that'll sew it into submission!
sew obsessed said... (10/21/09 4:26 PM) Reply
When I saw this picture in the review window I thought it was really cute! Even after you point out the Barnum and Bailey features I still think it's cute! Honestly....On the other hand now, the facing issue, boy I remember that from a fleece jacket I made hubby. Here is what I finally did: I trimmed the facing down to only what was absolutely necessary to hold the zipper. I used Collins wonder tape to hold the facing flat to the garment while I topstitched it down. I also found that using a fusible tricot interfacing (I use Palmer/Pletsch Perfect Fuse Sheer on all my fleece) on the facing pieces made them a little more responsive. I hope you post a finished picture because I think this one is a keeper...............

Decades of Style 3009