Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2009-119 (Sleeveless Dress with Pleats)

Reviewed by:michou68

About michou68star
GERMANY
Member since: 8/15/08
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:10/30/09 12:15 PM
Last Updated:12/20/09 1:14 PM

Michele Lommasson said... (12/21/09 12:41 PM) Reply
What an interesting review. I am amazed that Burda actually sent you fitting tips. Wow. I think the dress looks quite nice.
valerie sews said... (12/21/09 5:57 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress Michou. I've just been looking at this pattern because I want to make it for my daughter. As mentioned by others your bust is 'large' in relation to your small upper torso/ribcage. A full bust adjustment would make it sit much better ( but it still looks great nonetheless)
Robynz said... (12/20/09 10:09 PM) Reply
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!! Many of us do multiple types of alterations with every pattern. I have learned that I almost always: do a forward shoulder adjustment, trace a smaller size top than I would think - but still do an FBA, do a petite adjustment in the underarm area, shorten the length of the shoulder seam, do a full bicep adjustment and take in the waist!! and we are just talking about tops here... and - forgot to mention the 'swayback' adjustment - although in my case it isn't really a swayback as much as it is straight posture!!
dingyadi said... (12/20/09 8:17 PM) Reply
The dress looks gorgeous on you - and I adore your shoes!
CynthiaSue said... (12/20/09 4:40 PM) Reply
Just buy Fit for Real People. You have "square" shoulders, maybe need a full bust alteration and yes, you are much smaller on top then bottom so you'll have 2 different size needs for bust and below waist. This is not unusual at all.
Kay Y said... (12/20/09 3:59 PM) Reply
I don't think you should give up on Burda! You do seem to have square shoulders and more bust than the pattern was designed for (the wrinkles pointing to your bust make that clear). This particular pattern, with its stitched down pleats, is pretty unforgiving of curves. You might have much better luck with other styles.
whirrclunk said... (12/20/09 3:18 PM) Reply
The dress looks good! The front pleats and seams are so neatly made, and the overall lines so nice, that it seems a pity to worry too much about about perfect fitting. I'm fairly flat, and ended up needing to do a small FBA on one pattern (I measured the pattern and myself at least three times, being convinced that I must have done something wrong to need an FBA, as, frankly, there is very little there), and it was really worth it as the end fit was much better. And it boosted my ego :)
Heatherrique said... (11/1/09 9:44 AM) Reply
Classic, timeless, and gorgeous on you!
becca a said... (10/31/09 8:08 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress. You look very elegant.
MichelleE said... (10/31/09 3:18 PM) Reply
The dress still looks very elegant on you!! I have found the Burda mag patterns make no allowance for>B bust. I am always adjusting patterns to adjust for the lack of bust room. Since this pattern has a dart, a fba would be fairly easy to do. Try it, you will not regret it!
Barbara V said... (10/30/09 10:20 PM) Reply
Pretty style and color. I think it looks nice on you. It seems like each new pattern creates a need to figure out the fit and once it's all learned then our shapes change. One can never get bored with it at any rate.
Peter in NYC said... (10/30/09 10:05 PM) Reply
I love the simplicity of this dress and it looks beautiful on you. Very elegant!
Tiner W said... (10/30/09 8:25 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I love the narrow belt. I sympathize with your fitting issues.
michou68 said... (10/30/09 2:28 PM) Reply
nicegirl: love your blog and read it for ages :-) Elainemay: Well, yours was the reason why I decided to try it. And yours is truly lovely that is why I am so disappointed with mine ;-)
elainemay said... (10/30/09 2:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful! It looks wonderful on you. I made this dress too and I love the pattern.
nicegirl said... (10/30/09 2:13 PM) Reply
So sorry you're unhappy with the way it turned out! I think it is very elegant. The gray is a sophisticated color.
michou68 said... (10/30/09 1:38 PM) Reply
Oops, doubled my comment
michou68 said... (10/30/09 1:30 PM) Reply
Eugenia: Thanks. I might have to learn this FBA although I had a good laugh a few seconds ago. There is not much bust that could be described as full ;-) But well, if using a very small size this might be a solution - thank you very very much :-)
eugenia123 said... (10/30/09 1:05 PM) Reply
This dress looks very pretty on you. Regarding the fit - I think it sounds like you should trace off a size 34 so that it will fit around the neck and the waist and then make a FBA (full bust adjustment) on the pattern tissue. I think then you will get a better fit. Fitting is a trial and error process and isn't always easy. Good luck!

SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern