Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 3968 (semi-fitted pull-over top)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:2/10/04 7:42 PM
Ann Smith said... (2/11/04 10:07 AM) Reply
Yes, I have been thinking of sewing up the sleeves although they will be a bit slim. One idea I had was to insert a piece of trim or an inverted pleat of the same fabric (if I have enough). Or Cattgirl's idea of going sleeveless. It is still too snug around the bust (-5 lbs. would take care of that).
Cattgirl said... (2/11/04 8:49 AM) Reply
Judy is on to something here. The color looks great on you as well as the drape of the neckline, but the open sleeves don't seem to work as well. Do you think it would work without the sleeves? Excellent work on the blouse, by the way. It doesn't seem that the instruction problems hindered you at all.
Judy Williment said... (2/11/04 3:59 AM) Reply
Would it help if you sewed up the sleeve slits? The colour is so good it seems a shame to waste the top.
Ann Smith said... (2/11/04 2:03 AM) Reply
I do love that color and it goes with so many of the garments I've been sewing lately. I agree that the fit problem is a matter of drape. If the charmeuse didn't have the lycra, I think it would work better.
Debbie Spriggs said... (2/10/04 8:41 PM) Reply
My initial reaction to this photo, before reading your review was "that looks very nice!" I agree with Elona, the color is spectacular, and I also like the overall shape of this shirt on you. Paired with your long skirt for a monochromatic look, along with the vertical lines on the sleeves, it looks becoming. I can see what you are looking at as far as fit, which seems to be caused by the fabric, as you suggested. I wonder if this pattern wouldn't be better suited to a drapy knit? BTW your reviews are always a treat. Your sense for what colors suit you is fantastic!
Elona said... (2/10/04 8:25 PM) Reply
Ann, can't tell much about the fit, but wowza, that color is dynamite on you!