Online Sewing Class: More Knits
J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt
You'll learn :
  • 5 Different Bias Hemming Techniques
  • Working with a variety of fabrics
  • Matching stripes
  • Lining a bias skirt
  • Inserting a ripple free zipper
  • All with the help of HD video which you can play over and over again as many times as you want. Blog Announcements with more photos ">Put it on the Bias Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 08-2009-123 (carrot pants)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

Last Updated:10/31/09 5:54 PM

Terri A said... (11/2/09 1:35 AM) Reply
Really cool on you!
Mahler said... (11/1/09 8:14 PM) Reply
Kay, as I said on Facebook ! Those pants look so good. I was sceptical when I first looked at them "under construction" . Now I am fully converted. Those are hot ! Nice look with your jacket. As usual, you have all my admiration. You are so skill full. Bravo chère amie !
Mary Nanna said... (11/1/09 7:36 PM) Reply
Good on you for trying something new (or re-trying something old in this case) - it's good to take risks with sewing and keep things fresh! I found myself nodding my head with 2 things you wrote, which from my experience is true of many Burda pants- the need to lengthen the crotch by 2cms - and the impossible front fly instructions!
Nancy Anne said... (11/1/09 9:24 AM) Reply
GREAT pants, Kay! You did a fabulous job on them, as always. But I had to chuckle to myself- I was going to suggest you wear heeled booties and a loose jacket with them, then I look at the Burda photo, and that's exactly what they put with it! Am I good, or what? :-)
Peggy L said... (11/1/09 8:39 AM) Reply
Kay - these look great on you and the construction is beautiful. Your thoughts remind me of mine when I made a pair of Marcy Tilton pants last spring - way out of my comfort zone!! But I ended up really liking them. Hope you end up with the same feeling with these. They look great!
Catbird said... (11/1/09 8:01 AM) Reply
I LOVE these pants on you!! I'm so glad you were the intrepid pioneer and made these first. They caught my eye in the magazine and now I have some expert guidance and inspiration if I decide to try them too. As for what to wear with them, I agree with all the above suggestions, but have to say that the jacket you chose is ideal - slim fitting with black trim. Couldn't be more perfect. Fantastic!
Sigrid. said... (11/1/09 4:30 AM) Reply
It certainly is a style that you can wear well. Beautiful pair of pants. Good of you to try whether it works for you, I only looked at the pattern and thought "not for me". Though I still might not make this one, you showed clearly it's worthwhile to try a style that you're not used to. And thank you for the clear pictures of the waistband construction. The inside is so beautiful too, not expecting otherwise from you though.
SpinningJenny said... (11/1/09 3:08 AM) Reply
These pants suit you Kay, and look good with the jacket in your photos. Hope you enjoy wearing your comfortable pants.
Patzee said... (11/1/09 1:41 AM) Reply
Kay, what a fabulous pair of pants! Your skills are amazing. Does Clair Shaffer's book show how to do an entire waistband? I'm still trying to figure out how to do a waistband. Thanks!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (11/1/09 0:37 AM) Reply
LOVE this style of pants...yes I too wore alot like these back in 80's.Ankle booties go great with these but also flats if you have long legs. If not try platform sandals-boots. Cropped jackets , short to not conflict with wide hip area. Wide belts. Yours turned out really well. The zipper going all the way to top of WB stumps me...must look at your interior picture again.
digs57 said... (11/1/09 0:16 AM) Reply
I SO NEED a pair of these! No, at least TWO pairs: one for work, one for winter sports (aka shovelling the white stuff that'll soon hit our drives). And another pair for cycling! And one in silk crepe for the theatre! SWOON! Oh to be so fashion forward!!!!
Heidi Ho said... (10/31/09 11:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the information and photos on how you made these. They turned out very nice. I have been tempted to make these myself to test out the Burda Tall size.
katharin said... (10/31/09 8:39 PM) Reply
They look great on you. I'm tempted to make a pair of those too.
Sewliz said... (10/31/09 8:05 PM) Reply
Cool pants! I think you need a satin bomber jacket and some spike heels. Seriously though they look pretty darn good on you.
Annette1 said... (10/31/09 7:19 PM) Reply
Kay, I LOVE these! These have always been one of my FAVORITE styles of pants. (Remind me of a zoot suit.) You WEAR them BEAUTIFULLY! I think the jacket you have on with them is PERFECT, and I ALSO like the flat shoes. I think they'd look really cute with a fitted sweater or shirt, or even a shirt tied at the waist. They're PERFECT! Wish I could wear this silhouette. :o) Did you see Project Runway last time? The winning pair of pants was similar in silhouette to these. I'm trying to remember. I think she had a fitted white shirt on with the black pants, which was either tucked in or waist-length. Then over that, she had a great big sweater cardigan.
marec said... (10/31/09 6:22 PM) Reply
You look great in this style. I like them on slender people...on me, not so much :-)

Understanding Sheer Fabrics