Pattern Reviews> Burda> 7731 (Coat)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

About Kay Ystarstarstarstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 11/21/04
Posted on:1/1/10 7:01 PM
Last Updated:2/6/11 10:10 PM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
edot said... (2/7/11 12:24 PM) Reply
I think of you in the long version of this coat often--whenever I hear the word "wadder" actually. And now look! I'll have to change my mental imaging habits. This looks super fantastic; you're an amazing talent!
DorothyK said... (2/7/11 10:55 AM) Reply
Wow. You found the perfect solution. The coat is now fabulous. I love your button loops, too.
betty bushwacker said... (2/7/11 10:15 AM) Reply
Ohhh I remember you cursing this last year. Thanks for giving us all a heads up and a shudder or two at your ordeal. Your work is always so beautiful.
jaeng said... (2/7/11 8:54 AM) Reply
Looks really good, I love it.
BillieJean said... (2/7/11 6:58 AM) Reply
Shortening it was the trick. I really like it now.
KathleenS said... (2/7/11 3:10 AM) Reply
The shorter length is heaps better! Hope it keeps you warm for several years to come.
Annette1 said... (2/7/11 1:07 AM) Reply
GOOD FOR YOU! Your newly shortened and finished coat is AWESOME! I like your idea of knotting the elastic loops. I've used elastic for loops, but never thought of KNOTTING it behind the seam. Duh! :o) GREAT JOB. :o)
Christas said... (2/7/11 0:57 AM) Reply
Yay! I am so glad you finished your coat! Thanks for the very helpful review. If the pattern gave YOU fits then I know I would not be skilled enough to sew it! :-)
NormaB said... (8/6/10 10:08 AM) Reply
It would also help a lot to clip the underarm seam. I made this coat and the mobility is not affected much when clipping the underarm seam at about every 1/2".
grey ann said... (1/13/10 7:32 PM) Reply
I am very sorry that you invested so much time and money, but your narration of this painful experience was priceless and gave me a good laugh at the end of a long day. Thanks for sharing both the technical advice and the pathos!
carolynw said... (1/2/10 2:40 PM) Reply
I am sorry Kay that it did not work out - I know how many hours you have put into this and to not end up with something you are happy with is not a good thing. However, I know you are a resilient person and you will move on to more successful garments - you always sew such winners this pattern must be a real @@!! Best of everything for 2010 - Carolyn
lilyofthevalley said... (1/2/10 12:13 PM) Reply
Kay, it actually hurt me to see all the hours and thinking time (and materials) down the drain with your most disappointing realization. The collar is exquisite and I hope you'll be able to transpose on a pattern more worthy. As others have said, if you were unable to resuscitate this pattern, it deserved its untimely death. Burda should be ashamed. --Lily
lmg said... (1/2/10 11:07 AM) Reply
The obit on your blog is classic. What a great piece....maybe you should submit it to a magazine? My condolences about the coat. May it RIP.
CarolynGM said... (1/2/10 8:02 AM) Reply
Oh my. Thank you for letting us all learn from your experience with a bad pattern and extremely difficult fabric. Loved the obit on your blog.
Danvillegirl said... (1/2/10 7:52 AM) Reply
I appreciate your efforts on making this coat and I too have spent endless hours on a project to finally say enough is enough. I am sure your next project will be successful.
rozzybabe said... (1/2/10 6:37 AM) Reply
Your review was funny, despite your having gone through a grueling sewing experience!! I read all your reviews because you are an EXCELLENT sewer - and because I live in Ontario too!!! - and if you couldn't make this work, NO ONE could!! On to more great projects; we all live & learn.
Birgitte said... (1/2/10 4:50 AM) Reply
The line drawing looks fantastic, I feel your pain. Your experience and documentation is so helpful and that's what you should take with you and forget the rest. Every stitch, every consideration- drape- feel, makes you that much better, nothing is ever wasted. Now, go find another coat pattern! Thank you for this very helpful review.
Terri A said... (1/2/10 2:57 AM) Reply
Great review and love the Sewing Lawyer link!
Annette1 said... (1/2/10 0:02 AM) Reply
Oh, I just hate to think of all the WORK you've put into this coat. The gussets were a wonderful idea, and very effective, it seems. I hope you WILL save that collar, if nothing else. :o) Thanks for such a great review/blog entry on the Life and Times of Burda 7731.
Elona said... (1/1/10 10:30 PM) Reply
It is good to let go when it really is all over. I'm sure that on some level you feel relief. RIP. Seriously, cut-on sleeves are a problematic affair in general, but particularly when any bulk is involved.
KarmenG said... (1/1/10 10:12 PM) Reply
OMG all that time invested...we've all been there and how we share your sadness for this RIP. Good for you to let it go. The sewing sisterhood understands.... Sorry this project did not work for you. You certainly have the skills. Now, shed the weight of this project and move onto something new!! And thank you for the honest appraisal of this pattern and your experience with it.
Athene said... (1/1/10 9:56 PM) Reply
Thank you for the great review. Your teal fabric is gorgeous. Too bad that trying to save it was such a labour intensive process.
Heidi Ho said... (1/1/10 9:47 PM) Reply
I read your blog as well as your review and I feel your pain. I know we have all been there at one time or another and sometimes it is hard to let go...it becomes a time pit (sort of like a money pit). I'm sure you will have many wonderful projects in 2010 and this will one day just be a bad memory. Happy New Year!
Catbird said... (1/1/10 8:03 PM) Reply
Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear of its demise! You deserve a wickedly beautiful coat -- store-bought or custom-made -- to make up for this disappointment. I don't want to laugh at your expense but I couldn't help myself after reading your blog. I agree the collar is exceptional and could be used on something else. Congratulations on knowing when the time had come to cut your losses and move on.
Re Becca said... (1/1/10 7:55 PM) Reply
I do like the collar.
Aixoise said... (1/1/10 7:45 PM) Reply
Wow - what a Burda blooper! I always think twice about cut-on sleeves because of the issue you describe (among other reasons). Now I'll think a third time! I share your sadness in the demise of this coat because of its congenital design defects. The fabric was beautiful. But, it's a new year. Onward, as they say, and upward!
Olivia Sews said... (12/15/09 2:42 PM) Reply
I second that motion!! Let Burda know!!! I know your finished project will be perfect..against all odds!!
Mahler said... (11/20/09 1:24 PM) Reply
Kay, you should write an email to Burda. Those companies should really be informed on the stupidity of their garment's design. You are an angle of patience.
Catbird said... (11/16/09 3:44 PM) Reply
You had me laughing out loud with this review! We're used to you standing before us in beautifully tailored, exquisitely fitted garments, perfect in every way, and suddenly there you are as the Michelin Woman! You're so cute in your big white expanse of Thinsulate. Your decision to forge ahead after your initial disappointment, your ingenuity with the gussets AND your willingness to share this with us so that we could be forewarned all deserve applause. You also deserve a beautiful finished garment when this is all done and I hope that's what you get.
Meredith P said... (11/16/09 8:56 AM) Reply
Whew! I'm kind of relieved that this is a WIP so far. I thought perhaps you had finished it already! I'm sure it will turn out in the end, with your modifications.
Shellia said... (11/16/09 8:07 AM) Reply
Oh, I bought this coat pattern as I love the princess seams and the collar! Thanks for the warning.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (11/16/09 7:55 AM) Reply
Sorry, Kay!! Very helpful & FUNNY (actually!) Review...
Fran G said... (11/16/09 7:26 AM) Reply
Having read about the difficulties you were having with this project, I applaud your determination.To quote Patti B:"If this pattern is giving YOU fits, I am not going anywhere near it!" Well said, Patti B! Unusual for Burda I think. Most important thing learned from your great pre-review: Muslins are our friends!
susiestitcher said... (11/16/09 7:03 AM) Reply
Oops! I have this pattern, but I haven't used it yet. It makes you wonder if the pattern designers even consider the purpose of a garment at all. If only we could all go through life posed like the pattern models! Thanks for the in-depth review. IF I ever tackle this one, I will definitely plan on some major re-working. Your gusset solution works great. I recently made a dress for a client who needed a gusset added under the arms, so I feel your pain!
KarmenG said... (11/16/09 0:22 AM) Reply
oooooohhhhhh No!!!! I can't believe this!!!! Thanks for the warning ....this pattern photo had caught my eye but I guess I'll keep on looking!!
lmg said... (11/15/09 10:51 PM) Reply
Thanks for the heads up Kay! I don't like kimono sleeves to begin with but I would have trusted Burda too. I'm sure it'll look terrific when you are done with all the adjustments though. Adding a gusset is a great idea.
Patti B said... (11/15/09 10:48 PM) Reply
Kay, believe me, if this pattern is giving you fits, I am not going anywhere near it! Good save with the gussets. I'm sure the resulting coat will be toasty and lovely.

by: Ysenia