Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2921 (Scarf-Collar Tops)

Reviewed by:Robin Denning

Posted on:1/2/10 6:08 PM
Last Updated:1/3/10 4:03 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
RuthieSews said... (1/17/10 5:15 AM) Reply
Robin. Very helpful alteration. I often have a gap like that in RTW so I might well have the same issue with this pattern. I often take in the upper back neck and remove 1" off the neckband/collar to improve my fit.
Athene said... (1/3/10 10:38 PM) Reply
A great save - looks really nice on you now.
sewbehind said... (1/3/10 6:00 PM) Reply
I love a happy ending. That RPL was way too nice to not have the happy ending. Congratulations!
sewnsewtoo said... (1/3/10 5:34 PM) Reply
So glad to see your final results. The top is great on you.
Izzie said... (1/3/10 4:51 PM) Reply
Yay! I'm glad the dart worked. It looks great and you look much happier. I didn't even notice the sleeves before, but your adjustment does look better.
JDpenelope said... (1/3/10 2:53 PM) Reply
Thank you for your honest review. It is helpful to others, including myself, who plan to sew this pattern. If you can get it to work, you will have a very nice top.
Patti B said... (1/3/10 10:13 AM) Reply
Drat! So sorry for your unhappy result. This type of neckline is challenging, I think.
Fran G said... (1/3/10 8:26 AM) Reply
such a pretty color; sorry for your disappointment. As several others have mentioned, your facial expressions say it all!
blue mooney said... (1/3/10 8:19 AM) Reply
awwww, too bad! this looks really nice except for the back of the neck, and the color is so pretty! Wear it with a jacket and ignore the part that isn't perfect.
becca a said... (1/3/10 7:37 AM) Reply
Yay! I'm so glad you fixed your collar. Your shirt looks so nice now.
Erin Sooit said... (1/2/10 11:46 PM) Reply
I think with a little tweaking, this would be a great pattern. You look great in that color! Don't give up on this one, I think it's otherwise flattering.
piglet999 said... (1/2/10 10:55 PM) Reply
Robin, this looks great & very much like the pattern pictures. I just sewed/reviewed this & I fiddled a wee bit with my scarf portion to get it sitting on me how I wanted it too, and I twisted the scarf pieces a bit as they passed through the front opening to "hold" them from twisting on their own. I also put my collar more like what the pattern envelope shows in View B. Knowing how this is constructed it would definitely be difficult to take a wedge out of the collar piece...
Athene said... (1/2/10 9:37 PM) Reply
Robin your facial expressions in these photos are priceless. You are a very good sewer so its a shame this pattern did not work out as planned. I wonder if the fabric stretched out a bit or maybe you just sewed 1 size too big because I notice your sleeve to shoulder seam is a bit off your shoulder- Its a very pretty color top. Give it a try in another stretchy fabric and see what happens. I will have to look more closely at the other reviews of this pattern and see how the top hangs and will also wait and see if anyone else that sews it up has the same issue with the collar. I think this is a really pretty pattern and do want to purchase it.
CTBarb said... (1/2/10 9:29 PM) Reply
I love the faces in your photos...I have definitely been there! I am going to ask what may seem to be a stupid question: Have you washed the top since you made it? Perhaps the collar is just stretched out from the sewing and will look better after washing when the knit will have sprung back? This is a hopeful suggestion because it would be an easy fix. The style and color are teriific on you...it would be a shame if the gaposis can't be fixed.
kathigarn said... (1/2/10 8:16 PM) Reply
I am sorry it didn't work in the back!! I have no clue, but could it be that the fabric is just too wimpy and needs some light interfacing through there? I have almost finished my version - need to do some hemming to get it finished. When I tried it on briefly, I didn't notice this problem. I didn't look that closely as Jalie fits me so well - I just wanted to see how it looked in the front!! I will be sure to check for it, though!
Kay Y said... (1/2/10 7:47 PM) Reply
It looks wonderful from the front. Like Izzie, I would think you could do something at CB to snug in the top of the collar band. A wedge/dart of some kind is what I'm thinking.
Karendee said... (1/2/10 7:34 PM) Reply
Robin, Sorry the much anticipated pattern didn't make up perfectly.When I saw your expression in the main pic, I wondered if you were unsure of the results--then I read on. Well, the color is wonderful, and the top will look nice under your jackets. Thanks for the review.
Time4me said... (1/2/10 7:15 PM) Reply
Aside from the scarf gap (that would bug me too!) I think this top looks really nice. Other than the gapping what else do you think is wrong?
Seaspur said... (1/2/10 7:06 PM) Reply
Well, I think that it looks great on you despite the gaping!
Izzie said... (1/2/10 6:59 PM) Reply
Your top looks nice. Is there a CB seam in the scarf? Could you possibly take some fabric out at the CB by sewing a "dart" from the top of the scarf, tapering to nothing at the back-neck seam?
lmg said... (1/2/10 6:19 PM) Reply
I think it looks great! Restitching the neckline is one option, but you could try the buckle and pull the scarf through tightly to hold the neckline in place.
LynnRowe said... (1/2/10 6:16 PM) Reply
It looks fantastic on you. You could try unstitching the collar and resew it, snugging it tighter to the neckline to prevent any gaping. I wonder if it is the fabric; RPL can be very undrapey? Still, looks fab on ya!

Merchant & Mills Top 64