Pattern Reviews> Burda> 4153 (OOP Men's Casual Jacket)

Reviewed by:jewelea

About jeweleastar
TX United States
Member since: 10/19/05
Posted on:1/11/10 8:19 PM
Last Updated:1/11/10 8:22 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

Heatherrique said... (1/23/10 11:31 AM) Reply
He looks so cozy and cool in this fine looking jacket! Very nice review!
frame said... (1/12/10 9:42 AM) Reply
The jacket looks great. It's nice to know about the challenges of working with this fabric. You certainly overcame them. Thanks.
Passion4Sewing said... (1/12/10 9:07 AM) Reply
I love this jacket! I just went online to see if I could find it. It is difficult to find good men's patterns. As far as the tricot covering the zipper- what I have done is use the lycra strips. They are about 1-1/2" wide and I fold in half, stitch to front with 1/4" seam, fold it over to the back and stitch in the ditch. This needs to be done before the zipper goes in. How did you finish off the top of your zipper? Sometimes, I will stitch a small piece of the lycra, wrapping it around the zipper teeth. Then I pull the excess up over the stitching. Kind of hard to explain, but it looks good and stops the zipper since we can't reapply the plastic stops.
Elona said... (1/11/10 10:49 PM) Reply
This is the first time I have ever seen a review of this interesting old pattern (which is in my stash, unused), and your version came out beautifully! I agree about working with Polartec 300: This is heavy fabric and can be difficult to work with. Thank goodness I live in a warm climate and seldom have to futz with it. However, both Rochelle Harper and Nancy Cornwell, in their books, provide intriguing techniques for working with single layers of this bulky stuff, treating it as if it were boiled wool. This might be worth a shot on a subsequent project.
Christas said... (1/11/10 9:23 PM) Reply
You have done a wonderful job on this jacket. It looks so professionally sewn ..... very nice! I am sure the recipient of your jacket is so proud of your skills!

by: LM2HYD