Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6950 (Misses Separates)

Reviewed by:Andreahg

About Andreahgstarstarstar
MD USA
Member since: 12/19/05
Posted on:3/21/10 2:36 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Pants    Skirts

Andreahg said... (3/22/10 8:00 AM) Reply
hmmm, pulling the neck wider makes sense, but the edges are already at my bra strap. This wouldn't be as versatile a pattern if I need a special bra or had to constantly pull at my straps.
newmama said... (3/21/10 7:26 PM) Reply
Hi! As colorkitten mentioned, I made a muslin of the top and had the same problem. If you pull the neck to the edge of your shoulders, almost off them, it should straighten out. The line drawing does show the neckline being wide, I just didn't realize how close to off the shoulder it was intended to be. I was going to try to extend the tops of the front/back/sleeves in order to make the neckline narrower, but I'm sitting in my muslin right now looking at yours, haha, and I think I can just reshape the neckband a bit instead. The front/back/sleeves obviously don't suffer from being pulled up a little higher than intended. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!
Sew4Fun said... (3/21/10 6:37 PM) Reply
Pretty top! It fits very nicely after your alterations, with lots of shape. Pity about the neckline. :( I really like your hair too.
colorkitten said... (3/21/10 6:09 PM) Reply
I agree, it looks great other than the neckband, I would try and fix it! a user (newmama) is making the same top in the mini-wardrobe contest, and she said when she realized you were supposed to pull it further down on the shoulders it make the wavy neckband lay flat. Also, it may need to have been stretched more - my raglan tees use a rectangle shape neckband and I just stretch them like crazy to make them lay flat.
heathercampbell29 said... (3/21/10 5:55 PM) Reply
I agree that the body fit is great. Maybe if you used rib knit for the neck band it would lie flat? It's weird that the piece is a rectangle and not a curve.
no7262 said... (3/21/10 4:51 PM) Reply
Andrea, you got a great fit in the body, so I think that it would be worth it for you to figure out the neck band. Nora :)
Sherril Miller said... (3/21/10 4:39 PM) Reply
Your neckband really needs to be curved. To fix this one, why don't you put in grommets or buttonholes and thread a ribbon through. Then it would look like a design element.

Vogue Patterns 1476 OOP Issey Miyake