Pattern Reviews> Hollywood> 1471 (Dress from 1937)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:4/23/10 10:14 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
Englishstitch said... (5/8/10 5:35 PM) Reply
fantastic!!..I adore the puff sleeves especially and stunning colour. Great photo shoot and I love your blog too ;-)
oldpatterns said... (5/3/10 11:58 AM) Reply
Just amazing! Wonderful walk through of the process of using a vintage sewing pattern. The Hollywood ones are quite different from some of the others in that era. Excellent way to show off the dress! Loved the blog. Bravo!
fourkid said... (5/3/10 8:40 AM) Reply
Love the dress - love the review - love the "story". I agree wiht Margaret - I don't htink i have ever seen that many perforations - they do make sense after awhile - but I have to stare at them for a bit. You always do such a great job.
AnneM said... (5/2/10 7:51 PM) Reply
Nice style, love the color. If you were a little shorter, you could send the dress to me instead of Cathy. ;)
Heatherrique said... (5/1/10 11:48 AM) Reply
Geez, I am having major collar and sleeve envy here! Cathy is so glamourous in this late 30's medley! As always, Peter, you have a knack of taking something from the past and making it fresh and captivatingly gorgeous!
maryfrana said... (4/30/10 7:41 PM) Reply
I love stories and dresses with stories and vintage and hats....made my day.
Rachelking1980 said... (4/27/10 5:01 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress Peter. I wish I had a cousin who made me such wonderful frocks. I love the accessories too. It looks a perfect fit.
Paris75008 said... (4/26/10 9:20 AM) Reply
Oh I love those photo essays almost as much as I love to see Cathy modelling the lovely creations. She looks gorgeous as usual and the dress is a stunner!
lore h said... (4/26/10 7:10 AM) Reply
None of us entrants can compete with you and Cathy. Frigging hilarious. Great dress too.
Michele19 said... (4/26/10 5:57 AM) Reply
what a great dress! It really does nice things for Cathy's curves! Great photo shoot! thanks again!
BrightFeather said... (4/26/10 1:20 AM) Reply
Oh, Peter! How is my piddly little embroidered toddler dress supposed to compete against such purple gorgeousness?
JEF said... (4/25/10 10:20 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress; wonderful story. Great, great, great!
Raye Ann said... (4/24/10 4:50 PM) Reply
I sang "That Old Black Magic"! Also did a very simple dance routine to Blue Moon- which my ballroom-competing grandmother choreographed:) Fun show, huh?
Peter in NYC said... (4/24/10 11:51 AM) Reply
Hey, I was in "1940's Radio Hour" too. I sang "You Go to My Head" (and wore pants).
Raye Ann said... (4/24/10 11:33 AM) Reply
Cathy look terrific in her new day dress- the photo essay was so much fun! I imagined my so-chic grandmother, and my turn in "1940's Radio Hour" from high school... I wore a purple dress very much like Cathy's!
Danvillegirl said... (4/24/10 10:17 AM) Reply
Lovely dress! For just starting to sew about a year ago, you do very, very well.
manola6176 said... (4/24/10 10:07 AM) Reply
I've said it on your dress but the dress is so fantastic that I will say it one meore time, This dress is fabulous. Peter you are amaziing and qwe love you!!!!!!!!!!!
1SewSweet said... (4/24/10 8:54 AM) Reply
Peter, Peter, Peter, what a goregous dress and your cousin Cathy wears it so well too! I must admit, there was something about the yellow phone against your purple dress that sent the inspirations tingling pleasantly down my spine! Great Job!
Sew4Fun said... (4/24/10 8:45 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress Peter. I like the style and the colour. Great photo shoot as usual. Michael is quite the photographer, and Cathy a wonderful model.
Sic said... (4/24/10 7:50 AM) Reply
Gorgeous color! Beautiful dress! And, tell Cathy I love her hat!
gabrielle said... (4/24/10 5:28 AM) Reply
I love the dress and its narrative. It's such an excellent idea to build a story around an outfit. I so want a Hollywood Pattern of Youth.
Michele Lommasson said... (4/24/10 2:24 AM) Reply
I loved the story of "Cathy Models." Very cute.
Maree P said... (4/24/10 2:02 AM) Reply
This is a great dress Peter, gorgeous style and colour and oh so well made - I envy your collar points. Your styling is also enviable - the animal print looks great with purple.
annie1129 said... (4/24/10 1:32 AM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous from start to finish!!
marthamyers said... (4/24/10 0:08 AM) Reply
The pattern is wonderful. What a great find! Thanks for the detailed shots of it as you opened it up. And, of course, your resulting garment is fabulous too.
Heidi Ho said... (4/23/10 9:48 PM) Reply
Very cool vintage dress and great photo essay!!!
Nikoo said... (4/23/10 9:31 PM) Reply
Peter, you are just the best and so creative. I so enjoy reading your reviews and viewing your work. It is just a pleasure. Thanks for sharing.
MaryDB said... (4/23/10 9:28 PM) Reply
Wow - love the pattern, and the result. Nice work. Looks terrific.
SheBear0320 said... (4/23/10 8:42 PM) Reply
Love it, love it ... great job on the dress and Cathy's adventures are always a joy. Look forward to seeing your entry in the Vintage Challenge.
Peter in NYC said... (4/23/10 6:10 PM) Reply
Thanks, all! Margaret, we never take more than about an hour to shoot the photos (which is about as long as my feet hold out). My partner Michael and I -- oh yeah, and Cathy -- just sort of run around the neighborhood looking for inspiration. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Then I look at what we have and try to craft it into some sort of narrative. That's the fun part. It doesn't always take a lot of time; it depends on how inspired I'm feeling. I find the "filler" photos to round out the story on Google images. The minimal photo editing I do in iPhoto. That's it. They're very fun to make.
FreyaStark said... (4/23/10 5:52 PM) Reply
Another gorgeous frock! Cathy's a lucky girl. Good luck in the vintage sewing challenge.
Laurie Lou said... (4/23/10 4:59 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh! what a great way to end a day of work! reading about Cathy's adventure. IT was the best! Oh and the color looks lovely on you. And great with all the accessories! You ae a sight to behold!
lynne1nor said... (4/23/10 4:04 PM) Reply
You are too funny! Lovely looking dress. Definitely entire it in the Vintage pattern contest!
Margaret said... (4/23/10 3:52 PM) Reply
That is just a wonderful dress! I can't imagine how much time is put into the photo essays... but they really make my day! Thanks! (And wow, I think that's the most perforations I've ever seen on a pattern piece!)
Knitters Delight said... (4/23/10 3:21 PM) Reply
Cousin Cathy has evoked two words that truly describe my feelings : Gel-us. lol - Simply Fabulous
Sweetiebop said... (4/23/10 3:07 PM) Reply
Love the dress and your photos are fantastic.
MagpieJen said... (4/23/10 2:40 PM) Reply
Your slideshows are brilliant - my heart skipped a beat to see that Cathy was going to catch a James Cagney show (my all-time favorite actor!) Cathy looks fantastic in the late '30s silhouette, and purple is a great colour for her porcelain complexion :-) A beautiful, polished dress fit for a star!
carolynw said... (4/23/10 2:23 PM) Reply
Nice Peter - very nice. Cathy is so gorgeous - great photography!!
crazycurlgirl said... (4/23/10 1:52 PM) Reply
So jealous of the uberchic cousin Cathy. I wish i had all of my grandma's patterns she made everything she and her girls wore.
Aixoise said... (4/23/10 1:29 PM) Reply
The dress is a stunner, and so is Cousin Cathy. What a great story. Where did you find the NYC photos? Too nostalgic! Love it.
valerie sews said... (4/23/10 1:03 PM) Reply
Peter, I admire your feat of vintage sewing but I want to thank you for your sense of humour even more. Thank you.
pterion said... (4/23/10 12:32 PM) Reply
OMG, my colleagues are wondering what I'm chuckling away at here in my cube. I adore this dress. The color is a personal favorite. The accessories are perfection. Love the photo essay, so clever!
marec said... (4/23/10 11:23 AM) Reply
Cathy's slideshow=quite camp; dress is divine. I wish I had Cathy's lean figure.
wreninrome said... (4/23/10 10:19 AM) Reply
oh, Peter. how am I to compete against you and Cathy? love it and I want that pattern!

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King