Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8048 (MEN'S VEST, TIE AND BOW TIE)

Reviewed by:RobinMCPA

About RobinMCPAstarstar
IL USA
Member since: 1/13/06
Posted on:4/25/10 6:36 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Mens

AnneM said... (6/5/10 9:41 PM) Reply
Excellent vest. Yes, it is hard to find good patterns. I'm so thrilled to hear that you figured out what your DH's concerns were, because it certainly looks great on him.
MissCelie said... (5/13/10 7:18 AM) Reply
You're right. Menswear patterns are awfully hard to come by. It's too bad! You guys look stunning. And, I may try this in the future. I hate those rented tie and vest combos. Bleh. This, though, looks excellent.
RobinMCPA said... (4/27/10 11:47 AM) Reply
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I had a long talk with my DH about the vest and tie and it turned out his only real issue was the size and stiffness of the buttonholes. I had been paranoid about making the buttonholes too large and also having the silk dupioni fray, so I overcompensated with too small of buttonholes and too much Fray-Check. I will watch that tendency in the future. Also I should probably have lengthened the back waist belt because I had added to the front side seams even though I didn't increase the size of the back pattern piece. I think this would have given a smoother fit in back (which I didn't show, but was just OK.) So the short answer is, I will be making this again in the future. Voet - thanks for the comments from a male perspective. That is always interesting to hear and also thanks for the compliment on how the vest and tie turned out! RLL, Ryan's mom, and Mhk3boys - thank you so much. I really appreciate the nice compliments! Mhk3boys - I was really nervous about the bow tie as I had no clue how one went together. But actually the instructions were very good and walked through step by step what to do. At first I was overwhelmed, but I found that when I just took it a step at a time, it wasn't hard at all.
mhk3boys said... (4/26/10 9:11 AM) Reply
Wow! You both look so good together! I would never be brave enough to make the tie! I can't even tie a bow! Well great job!
voet said... (4/26/10 8:59 AM) Reply
You did a great job. You are correct about the lack of good menswear patterns. All of the pattern companies used to have a small but varied line of patterns for men. Today Kwik Sew, Burda and Islander are about the only ones who seem to be making new patterns for men. I hope you are not discouraged from making your DH another vest. Once you learn his "hot button" issues, hopefully it will get easier for you. Also, all of you talented women out there in Pattern Review land, make something for the men in your life every once in a while. It may encourage the pattern companies to reissue some of their older patterns and maybe even create some new ones.
ryan's mom said... (4/25/10 8:53 PM) Reply
Okay. Really, who's going to be looking at the tie and vest when you two make such a striking couple :) ! And yeah, great tie and vest!!
RLL said... (4/25/10 7:33 PM) Reply
You both look stunning. I love that you made him the vest and tie to match your dress. Very classy!

Sewing Workshop Urban T-Shirt & Pants Pattern