Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4745 (Civil War Costume)

Reviewed by:timetravelcostumes

About timetravelcostumesstar
FL USA
Member since: 1/28/09
Posted on:5/17/10 2:25 PM
Last Updated:5/17/10 2:26 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes

K D said... (4/9/14 7:49 PM) Reply
I am presently making this jacket (Size L) and having the same problems with the sleeves. So glad to read this and find out I'm not the only one! I took about 1" out of the width of the upper sleeve, and about 5/8" from the width of the under sleeve. These 2 adjustments made a big difference in getting the sleeve to fit without any gathers.
sewsuzanna said... (3/24/14 2:28 PM) Reply
I am making this pattern now for my 12 year-old son and am having this same TERRIBLE issue with the sleeves! They are puffed with a ridiculous amount of gathering (not just "ease"). I like your idea of folding the pattern in the middle and making a narrower sleeve. Everything was going so beautifully 'til I got to the sleeves! I am probably going to have to take the sleeves out, rip out the stitches, and cut them narrower. What in the world??! The photo on the pattern envelope does not have puffed sleeves. Ugh. I rarely sew clothing (mostly bags and some home dec). This pattern does NOT make me want to give apparel-sewing another go!
vkl said... (11/27/13 7:55 PM) Reply
The sleeve top on this is really badly drafted. Wish I had thought to read this review before cutting it out - as it was I had to push most of the gathers to the back. Dress coats of the 1839s did have gathered sleeves but this is a uniform and no solider would want to look like a sissy!
Miss Fairchild said... (6/13/12 3:35 PM) Reply
This is an incredible project! I wouldn't have known that you had so much trouble with it. I know that Union officers didn't have gathered sleeves, as I've been to several reenactments and never have I seen a gathered sleeve on a man; maybe women. Your husband looks so authentic! I had to look closely to see if he was real. And your website is absolutely stunning!
droxy said... (5/20/10 6:26 PM) Reply
This is the one I am going to try to make. I made the pants from this for another costume and to do alot of adjustment, but I was fitting it to me. I want to do this jacket for another costume but alter the Military style front on it. Thansk for tips on the potential potholes on this one.
Trephas2003 said... (5/17/10 3:36 PM) Reply
It looks great!
Paris75008 said... (5/17/10 3:22 PM) Reply
You did an absolutely fantastic job on that jacket. Gathered sleeves? I'm sure no Union officer would have been seen dead in sleeves with gathers. How sissy! Your husband looks the perfect officer and gentleman in that uniform.

StyleArc Tamara Knit Top