Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8489 (MISSES' DRESS)

Reviewed by:Quietlife

About Quietlife
AZ USA
Member since: 2/9/08
Posted on:6/28/10 12:49 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Quietlife said... (7/2/10 0:05 AM) Reply
I used a 3 thread rolled hem (surger). I will most likely fold under the recommneded 5/8" and top stitch with a double needle at some point.
dwindy said... (6/30/10 10:47 AM) Reply
I use a 2mm Bernina rolled hem foot
petro said... (6/30/10 2:13 AM) Reply
I used a fairly lightweight knit, quite slippery, and as it had a busy pattern got away with overlocking the edge, turning under and stitching - so about a quarter inch hem. I've had this dress a couple of years now, its travelled and not given problems.
ryansmumAria said... (6/29/10 2:01 PM) Reply
Quietlife and dwindy, I was sorting through my 1 million patterns and re organizing them and ran into this pattern. I took a close look at it and realized it was a wide skirt, much wider than it looks. Generally speaking, the wider the skirt the narrower the hemline in order to avoid bulk, so a narrower hem is appropriate. When you said rolled hem I immediately thought serged rolled hem and when my students have done that on skirts it has rarely looks good! On jersey tops, it looks fine. My mistake! So, yes, on wide flowing skirts narrow hems look lovely!
dwindy said... (6/29/10 1:42 PM) Reply
Quietlife, I have made at least 50 jersey dresses and skirts, and I ALWAYS use a rolled hem (unless I leave the hem raw). I do a lot of ballroom dancing and find that the rolled hem makes a much more flowy skirt
ryansmumAria said... (6/29/10 11:19 AM) Reply
Quietlife, I find it interesting that someone recommended a rolled hem for a jersey. I have never seen that done and I would recommend against it. Just so you know on future projects. I have seen 2 and 2 1/2 inch hems on jersey tops which gives it a very polished looked especially if you coverstitch it. It also gives the hem weight so it hangs nicely. Enjoy your lovely dress ~ it's beautiful.
christinawo said... (6/29/10 10:59 AM) Reply
The dress looks beautiful. I would just go with the lacy camisole. Changing necklines is a mystery! I've never been successful. Lovely dress and very informative review. Thank you! Chris
Quietlife said... (6/28/10 11:06 PM) Reply
The pattern called for a 5/8" hem. I had read a rolled hem is recommended for jersy's so I tried it. I will most likely add a regular folded hem, but just don't feel like dealing with that much hem right now.
petro said... (6/28/10 3:11 PM) Reply
Sorry - forgot to say I love the print you used!
petro said... (6/28/10 3:07 PM) Reply
I made this. The neckline on me came to bottom of bra level - hopeless! I cut a section of contrasting fabric to fit in the V shape and attached it at the inside where the facing is stitched. My dress was black and white print and the fill in was black. It has pretty much the same visual effect as wearing a camisole, but without the hassle or heat, and the dress does travel very well.
ryansmumAria said... (6/28/10 12:59 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I would recommend using a 1 1/2 inch hem on this dress for the weight. It will allow it to hang instead of curl. Did the directions say to do a rolled hem? Better quality garments have wider hems generally speaking. Changing the neckline on this type of garment is very difficult to do. I have attempted to do it and have abandoned the idea when I realized just how much effort and time it would take. It was easier to move onto an other project (I am also a former patternmaker!). You did a very nice job.

Indygo Junction IJ866 Midtown Trench