Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1161 (Rachel Comey Open Back Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:6/29/10 12:39 PM

Twinset said... (11/23/10 12:06 PM) Reply
How come did I miss this review??? I love your dress and the print gives it a delicious retro feel!
Grammy Gin said... (9/6/10 1:33 PM) Reply
WOW!!!!Love this dress~it is so great on you!! I think the back is the greatest. You did a wonderful job as usual!!!
yummymummy38 said... (7/6/10 8:36 AM) Reply
wow, really your style, retrochic, Treena. Love the print too and the style lines. Coool...
Mahler said... (6/30/10 5:49 PM) Reply
As I said on the spot, lovely, sexy, delicious and gorgeous !
mochimo said... (6/30/10 12:48 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!
narcissaqtpie said... (6/30/10 11:36 AM) Reply
You look a-ma-zing. I need this dress in my life.
Q Valley Mary said... (6/30/10 11:29 AM) Reply
This dress is very flattering for you, and you certainly did a beautiful job of sewing it. I enjoyed seeing it in person in Montreal.
RobinMCPA said... (6/30/10 10:04 AM) Reply
I love it! It really turned out great!
Levone said... (6/30/10 9:34 AM) Reply
Pretty dress..the topstitching is definitely a great touch.
Sic said... (6/30/10 9:03 AM) Reply
Lovely! Thank you for the review - just looking at the pattern I assumed it would be difficult to sew. Now, I may tackle it to wear to an early fall wedding...thanks again!
Diane333 said... (6/30/10 8:33 AM) Reply
Love your dress and the accessories.
Elizabeth made this said... (6/30/10 8:14 AM) Reply
What a cool design! I like your topstitching detail--it really does make those interesting seams stand out. You look lovely.
Tez said... (6/30/10 5:56 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!
cboots said... (6/30/10 0:42 AM) Reply
This was such a beautiful dress in person. Thank you for posting the review and the pictures of how you did the inside! Your version looks so much nicer than the one on the envelope.
AliceB said... (6/29/10 11:27 PM) Reply
Love the zest of retro fabric with the beautifully cut dress. :)
lakaribane said... (6/29/10 9:36 PM) Reply
Well, your answer occured to me the minute I pressed Save since you NEVER mention shortening the bodice of things. I feel so alooone, first Elaine/Selfish and now you! Why was I not long waisted???
Kay Y said... (6/29/10 7:58 PM) Reply
This is a seriously cute dress - so nice to have seen it in person!
4u2cme said... (6/29/10 7:49 PM) Reply
Such a cute dress. I had overlooked this pattern. I need to give it another look.
lauraborealis said... (6/29/10 7:43 PM) Reply
I'm hearing Michael Kors says, "That is the cutest d*mn dress." Seriously... you need a commission, because you just sold another one of these patterns. Great job!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (6/29/10 7:38 PM) Reply
Great to see this one made up - I just love all the details on it, well worth the 100 years it took to cut it out!
FreyaStark said... (6/29/10 5:37 PM) Reply
Really cute and highly distinctive.
Deepika said... (6/29/10 5:28 PM) Reply
Such a cute dress. And it was a treat to see it in person at the PR Weekend. I guess if I skip the underlining and lining, I could maybe sew it in 6 months :) Just kidding. I think we will see a lot more reviews of this dress. I love the fabric you used. How fun that you wore the dress to a PR Weekend made from fabric you bought at another PR Weekend. Love it!
jent said... (6/29/10 5:11 PM) Reply
I would have missed what a great dress this is if not for your version (the fabric choice on the vogue envelope was terrible). It is so cute and way more than a step above Anthropologie. And it looks fantastic on you!
jessireland said... (6/29/10 4:54 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, I think it might just make it to my future projects list!
callmeRuth said... (6/29/10 4:33 PM) Reply
Lovely dress---all those seams--wonderful design, very nice!
nicegirl said... (6/29/10 3:23 PM) Reply
lakaribane--I didn't petite it. Luckily, I have a "normal" length torso and really, really short legs. So for the most part I just petite things in the skirt. Here I knew it would be a short skirt and I actually added length!
Mufffet said... (6/29/10 2:57 PM) Reply
What kills me is the illustration of this Vogue pattern! Make beautiful lines in designing a garment and then illustrate it is a print that abolishes the reason for such innovative seaming! YOUR fabric, however, is perfect. The seaming adds to the great look of this dress - the finished garment is really so very nice on you!
Ericaeli said... (6/29/10 2:16 PM) Reply
This dress looks great on you, and I LOVE the back of it. I like how the red topstitching looks too.
lakaribane said... (6/29/10 1:35 PM) Reply
As you know, I have been waiting for this review, checking your blog EVERY DAY since friday to see when you would put it up, LOL! One question, though: you don't mention Petite alterations at all, did you make them or not? IIRC, the pattern doesn't include any or something like that.
SueV said... (6/29/10 1:26 PM) Reply
love this dress.... and it looked great on you! I would have never noticed this dress, but saw it on you and thought Wow, I gotta make that one!
pfaffkj said... (6/29/10 1:21 PM) Reply
This is one cool dress! I love all the distinctive touches. You did a great job. Enjoy!
ggf2005 said... (6/29/10 1:09 PM) Reply
You did a great job. Don't you just love it when you've done such a good job that people think you spent big bucks!
Frogstitcher said... (6/29/10 1:05 PM) Reply
Oh, my gosh. I love your dress. It is so sophisticated but with a dash of fun and flare. If anyone can pull off sewing and wearing this dress, it's you. I wonder..maybe I should make one too. I've just added it to my wishlist. Thanks for the helpful review.

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS