Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3760 (Dresses)

Reviewed by:birdmcfarland

About birdmcfarlandstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 8/1/08
Posted on:6/21/10 4:37 PM
Last Updated:6/21/10 4:38 PM

andread said... (7/5/10 9:49 PM) Reply
Your dress made me buy this pattern, and it's next up in my sewing queue. This looks amazing!
birdmcfarland said... (6/23/10 6:32 AM) Reply
thanks Mahler for your kind words!!! I might make a couple of changes to it - nip in the waistline and see if I can add neck darts.
Mahler said... (6/22/10 10:26 PM) Reply
Your dress is lovely, none sewers will never notice what you see in it, wear it with pride it is soooo pretty !!! The fabric and rick rack choice is perfect. From seeing your pictures ( I am not there to see it), as time4fun said, you need more ease at the bust. Adding a bit the the princess seam would be good. Then, take a look at the front arm hole to see if it does not gap and is really flat around your front side. After doing so on a muslin, I would take off a tiny bit in length to the upper back of your dress, it might be too long for your body measurements (again I am not there). It would be a very very subtle swayback correction. You seam not to like the back neck. I always have to make back neckline darts, they make my dress lay flat so much better. Modern patterns do not have them and it is a pity, they add a wonderful fit. After those tiny things you will have the most perfect dress on hearth, worn by such a great looking woman.
birdmcfarland said... (6/22/10 2:48 PM) Reply
thanks everyone! I wish I had somewhere to go so I could wear it!
Secretsugar said... (6/22/10 1:53 PM) Reply
What a great dress! Love your fabric choice, rick rack, and well, just everything, I guess! I'm heading to NYC in August and am looking forward to my first trip to the fabric district. Will have to look up Paron Fabrics....
waltzqueen said... (6/22/10 12:07 PM) Reply
This is a wonderful dress and is perfect for you. I love the fabric choice too. Nicely done!
sewtime said... (6/22/10 11:38 AM) Reply
Cute dress and great fit!! Love the rick rack!!
Deepika said... (6/22/10 9:47 AM) Reply
Wow! You really took this pattern to the next level. I love your dress, the rick rack and the buttons. It fits you beautifully.
SpinningJenny said... (6/22/10 5:48 AM) Reply
Great fabric, trimming and pattern combination. This is a charming dress on you - classic lines, with a sense of fun. I've had no luck purchasing this pattern in Australia..yet. Hope we catch up soon, because you've really inspired me!
TracyTheMaterialGirl said... (6/22/10 4:23 AM) Reply
That check and pink trim work wonderfully - a beautiful dress.
Ericaeli said... (6/21/10 11:00 PM) Reply
I love this dress! I think it looks great on you.
Sondra Leigh said... (6/21/10 8:47 PM) Reply
SWEET! I wanna make this!
Kathy in NM said... (6/21/10 8:16 PM) Reply
Oh my! This is really cute and classy. I've seen the other version, but really like this collared version. I think your ric rac really makes the dress.
homejewel said... (6/21/10 7:23 PM) Reply
What a great dress - it looks so good on you. Love the fabric/trim. 5 stars!
ryansmumAria said... (6/21/10 7:22 PM) Reply
oh this is just fabulous!
RadarRadiance said... (6/21/10 6:07 PM) Reply
Love the rickrack!! Very cool and very pretty on you. I agree with Time4me on a bust adjustment, just slightly. I don't think I would make the waist smaller or it might give you pulls you don't want. The back looks like the waist could be lifted slightly to lay smooth across you end ;), Hey.... thatís what you get when you have a great curvy figure!!! I think it all looks great regardless, fits better than ready wear. When you mention the collar in the back, is there any way to use a hook and eye at the top of the zipper and the beginning of the collar to pinch it in a little? I remember this style collar from years ago and we use-to-use hook and eyes to help them lay down. Just a thought ;) Great dress and review, you can wear it well!
MNBarb said... (6/21/10 6:00 PM) Reply
Ooh! I've made this dress loads of times, it's a TNT. I also just made my first dress using Marji's method, we must be working on the same page. I really like your version and the plaid fabric is wonderful. Too bad about the poly lining but you will be the only one who knows about that. I don't see the crooked that you see. Nice work! Very flattering.
Time4me said... (6/21/10 5:14 PM) Reply
Well...the dress looks GREAT. And only because you are asking I think you could have used a slight full bust adjustment. It would make the front hang a little better. But really, it looks really good.
birdmcfarland said... (6/21/10 5:06 PM) Reply
PA Fabric outlet. It's really neat stuff. Almost embroidered. Thanks for the tip on the waist. That's what I was thinking!
marec said... (6/21/10 5:00 PM) Reply
This is a great style on you. Where did you get the "cushy" rick rack? It's nice. I don't see any glaring fit issues. You could make the waistband a tad smaller but I think it looks wonderful as is.

by: gabc