Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Downloadable> D-01 (A-Plus A-Line)

Reviewed by:elainemay

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

valgal said... (7/6/10 0:54 AM) Reply
What a cute skirt but you're right that's a lot of paper.
Mirakel said... (6/29/10 12:48 PM) Reply
Wonderful job, it is so cute and looks better than the BR version. Thanks for the info on the pattern issues. I've tried downloading BurdaStyle patterns and have had the same complaints - I can't justify the paper waste when I can buy a similar pattern for $1.99 on sale! It looks great on you and I love the yellow shoes (although a nice yellow cardigan is a must, too!).
Paris75008 said... (6/29/10 10:37 AM) Reply
I just LOVE that skirt on you. Beautifully sewn and great review. I downloaded the pattern, I just have to have a skirt like that for my summer vacation. I'm going to print it on the reverse side of used paper I keep in a box for recycling. I would never print this out on clean, unused paper. Unbelievably wasteful! Thanks for pointing this out, your review is really helpful
becca a said... (6/29/10 8:27 AM) Reply
Fantastic skirt and review! I haven't yet downloaded this pattern because I didn't understand why it took 51 pages. Your skirt is so chic that I may have to print out that pattern anyway.
lamstu said... (6/29/10 8:19 AM) Reply
Cute skirt and helpful review. Too bad about the drafting and the wastage. Maybe we can get them to give us scale drawings of these simple patterns that we can recopy onto gridded paper. But to end on a positive note, I love it when a project looks as good as RTW (or better!)
squirrellypoo said... (6/29/10 6:09 AM) Reply
And just because I'm seeing comments about this - this is a Twinkle Sews pattern, NOT one made by BurdaStyle! So the asymmetrical and not-on-the-fold problems are Twinkle Sews problems, not indicative of the other, BurdaStyle-produced patterns!
squirrellypoo said... (6/29/10 6:08 AM) Reply
Excellent point about the paper waste and the non-symmetry! All of these problems are faults with everything in the Twinkle Sews book (along with having a separate pdf for each size, so you have to print and tape it all in order to discover it may not fit!!). Another sewer had the great idea to use the AI files in the book and alter them in Illustrator to get everything on the fold to save paper... Good thing the end result of the skirt is so nice to be worth the hassle though!
Elke said... (6/28/10 10:10 PM) Reply
Great looking skirt!
AlexaNJ said... (6/28/10 10:09 PM) Reply
Love it. Beautiful!
ryansmumAria said... (6/28/10 8:34 PM) Reply
adorable! and I love love love the shoes.
Catbird said... (6/28/10 8:15 PM) Reply
Chalk up another winner! You make the greatest things -- I'm really becoming a fan. I like how you style everything, too, like the yellow shoes with this exceptional skirt. I am in total agreement with your rant on the paper waste in BurdaStyle print-it-yourself patterns. I've printed out a few and have felt ashamed of myself for the waste! Maybe we can put some loving but firm pressure on them to come up with a new plan. Anyway, I adore your skirt!
Meredith P said... (6/28/10 8:12 PM) Reply
Thanks to you, when I print, I'm going to figure out only the pages I really need (if I can). That also saves me from the asymmetrical issues too! :-)
Erin D said... (6/28/10 7:42 PM) Reply
Your skirt looks great. I agree-the printing sounds completely wasteful.
birdmcfarland said... (6/28/10 7:12 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tip on the egregious waste of paper. I just got some fabric that would have been perfect for this, but I may use something else due to the waste...and, why bother if the pattern is asymmetrical anyway?!
MNBarb said... (6/28/10 6:58 PM) Reply
I printed my first pattern last week. It was for a child's halter top and used 30 sheets of paper. I'm in your camp, really, what a waste! When a size zero kills a tree, that is a problem. I don't think it's about simiplicity since they don't bother to provide great instructions. You did get a great skirt out of this pattern and if you make it again the use of paper will make more sense.
Terri Smith said... (6/28/10 6:05 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for this review! While I really like your skirt, I do not believe it is worth the paper it's printed on! (pun intended :) Thanks again.

Deer&Doe Blouse Airelle