Pattern Reviews> Other> Patterns of Fashion (1770-80 Polonaise)

Reviewed by:MCBurbage

About MCBurbagestar
VA USA
Member since: 12/26/08
Posted on:7/17/10 7:38 AM

Sable said... (11/28/13 1:01 AM) Reply
It's good to know the sizing on this, I'm currently upsizing it using a 1" grid (that I'm drawing myself cos you can't get it here) and now I know that I need to grade it as well.
Trephas2003 said... (7/18/10 2:30 PM) Reply
It looks beautiful!
MCBurbage said... (7/18/10 7:39 AM) Reply
I wonder if the sleeve design changed as they moved from panniers to the false rumps (18th century version of the bustle). It's something to investigate. I'm certainly interested in trying more patterns out of this book. I did make a fichu to go with it, but I couldn't figure out how to wear it inside the gown without it bunching up at the shoulders; beside that, I didn't need another layer at an outdoor event in July. The pictures are from a period dance demonstration that we did on Independence Day.
frogs2 said... (7/17/10 12:19 PM) Reply
Very nice! Looking at "Fabric of Society" by Jane Tozer, you'll see that sleeves of that era were designed for arms held out to rest on panniers. If you add a kerchief / fichu at your neck, you'll keep your stays from peeking out. Gorgeous gown, and you look lovely in it!
PittyPat said... (7/17/10 12:07 PM) Reply
You did a great job on this period costume. Love the fabric color and selection. It fits very well.
Sharon1952 said... (7/17/10 11:12 AM) Reply
As usual your attention to detail is amazing. I love checking out all you vintage sewing.
Aroura said... (7/17/10 10:25 AM) Reply
Wow! I am so amazed you took such a simple on-line pattern and turned it into such an amazing dress! Love the fabric, and the fit is just perfect! Are you at a period dance in the pics?

by: Alice Wang