Pattern Reviews> La Mia Boutique Magazine> 07-2010-8

Member since: 7/19/07
Posted on:8/1/10 3:22 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
USMCMom said... (8/2/12 7:47 PM) Reply
Well, I can see why you were seduced by the pic! Gorgeous dress. But so sorry it didn't work out for you. I think we all have blind spots where clothes/fabric are concerned. We fall in love with a look or a fabric and convince ourselves we can "make it work"! My particular downfall is blindly buying any pattern that gets a lot of "highly recommended" reviews or that gets selected a pattern of the year without looking closely at the body types of the reviewers. I'm also a sucker for the words "universally flattering".
JuneHawk said... (1/23/11 11:16 AM) Reply
Honestly, it doesn't look bad on you and that's coming from someone who is allergic so showing her bumps and lumps. I would LOVE to have that pattern but it's easier to nail Jell-o to a tree than to find specific issues of La Mia Boutique.
Doctor Sister said... (9/4/10 1:05 PM) Reply
love the expression and gesture in your picture. Thanks for the reminder of 'rules for picking patterns." I have my own and am always really sorry when I break them.
ChristineX said... (8/28/10 2:14 PM) Reply
Yes I hope you made it into a top, because the color is gorgeous and it's a great neckline on you.
moushka said... (8/23/10 9:10 AM) Reply
Love your reviews in general, Michelle, as you're so much more fashion forward than I am. This one is so helpful for all the reasons stated. Thank you for publishing your photos. Hope you get a wearable top out of it. The bodice is very flattering on you and the colour is gorgeous :)
lareine said... (8/8/10 1:05 AM) Reply
The photo of you modelling this is hilarious. Thank you for such an honest and helpful review! :)
msladyj said... (8/3/10 5:21 PM) Reply
Thanks Michelle. Wont add this one to mine or daughter's list. Very helpful.
Patti B said... (8/2/10 10:07 AM) Reply
You are a brave woman and we love that! So, has it been cut off yet? It's worth a shot.
Rebecca D said... (8/2/10 6:47 AM) Reply
Great review and thank you for posting it. And I agree with others about making it into a top. The color is great on you.
squirrellypoo said... (8/2/10 6:18 AM) Reply
thanks for the review, even though it wasn't for you. I'm still hoping it'll work for me once I get past all my wedding sewing though!
o3b said... (8/2/10 3:01 AM) Reply
FABULOUS review for all the reasons already mentioned! Please post a pic and update with the cut off top.
Sew4Fun said... (8/2/10 1:57 AM) Reply
As someone else said, your photo is priceless. Great review! Sorry it was a wadder but we all get seduced sometimes. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :)
AdaH said... (8/2/10 1:41 AM) Reply
Great save by Lynn. I have also been seduced by the picture on the pattern envelope in the last few weeks.
michellep74 said... (8/2/10 1:16 AM) Reply
Lynn--I hadn't thought of that, but that's a great idea! I think I'll go ahead and do that. I *do* like the top part of it, so that would at least save that much.
LynnRowe said... (8/1/10 11:24 PM) Reply
PLEASE tell me you cut this off at the waistline for a top! The top part suits you fabulously and looks gorgeous!
knitmachinequeen said... (8/1/10 9:34 PM) Reply
Michelle I didn't hate it on you. I understand the sausage casing comment but what the hell, we all have rolls.
Time4me said... (8/1/10 8:20 PM) Reply
YOU are darling. Thanks for this review. It is VERY helpful.
Julia C said... (8/1/10 4:36 PM) Reply
IMO of the 3 pictures (you,the model & the dummy) I actually like the picture on the dummy best. It does look better without the bottom band to me.
ChristineX said... (8/1/10 4:26 PM) Reply
I get seduced by pictures, too. For some reason I always think I'll magically look like the model just as soon as I put the clothes on.
crazygrad said... (8/1/10 4:06 PM) Reply
Great review! And that pic is priceless!
chicaem29 said... (8/1/10 3:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, Michelle, and for including your construction steps. I'm not exactly slim but I still might give this a try, if not this summer then next.

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Jackets for Real People DVD