Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> from Fabric.com (peachy beachy poolside coverup)

Reviewed by:MaryDB

About MaryDBstar
WA USA
Member since: 2/9/08
Posted on:8/10/10 11:57 PM
Last Updated:8/10/10 11:59 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
AndreaSews said... (7/5/11 2:41 AM) Reply
I've been eyeing this free pattern for awhile. Yours is so nice, and the pockets are a great idea. I'd skip the facings too.
Lisabeth60 said... (9/28/10 7:47 PM) Reply
It is adorable! I have been looking at the pattern thinking of making it for an upcoming cruise. Thank you for posting!
Karla Kizer said... (8/18/10 7:52 AM) Reply
A really pretty interpretation of this pattern. I see a "summer bathrobe" in my future. Thanks for the reminder to print out this design. Another tree gone....
mssewcrazy said... (8/12/10 6:19 AM) Reply
I think this probably is the best coverup ever and free pattern no less. This is just a wonderful combo of fabric and pattern and pockets.
Hilary said... (8/11/10 6:57 PM) Reply
Nice! I like the pockets you added-it looks great!
Cowtown Karen said... (8/11/10 5:14 PM) Reply
Mary, what you did with the pockets is ingenious! I am going to try it.
Ericaeli said... (8/11/10 2:38 PM) Reply
This is such a pretty cover-up. I love the story of the fabric. The pockets are the perfect addition to this pattern. I think it would be really nice out of french terry too. I have been wanting to make this, but I truly hate patterns that I have to print out! I think I need to just force myself.
Leu said... (8/11/10 2:13 PM) Reply
Looks fabulous! I tried the pattern, but since the drawstring wasn't low enough, had to lengthen to top pieces. I also cut the skirt the biggest size the pattern came so I could gather it a little bit. I was working with a beautiful royal blue gauze fabric and I basically made the project more difficult than my skill level. It ended up in the scrap pile. I thought the same about the facings. Maybe I'll try again!
Terri A said... (8/11/10 2:01 PM) Reply
Cool! Love it:-)
MaryDB said... (8/11/10 10:55 AM) Reply
Karen, I cut the pockets free-hand by center-folding the doubled fabric, and cutting it to paperback size. I zig-zagged clear elastic (while holding it stretched) a couple of inches down from the opening.
Cowtown Karen said... (8/11/10 10:32 AM) Reply
I love this! So cute! Please tell us how you did the pockets. It looks like the top of the pocket has elastic in it. Is that right?
Nancy Rhodes said... (8/11/10 8:35 AM) Reply
Excellent review... will you be doing book reviews soon? particularly of pool side trashy paperbacks? Hope so!
Jane S said... (8/11/10 7:40 AM) Reply
What a fabulous use for this fabric. Hope your vacation was as fun as this cute coverup.
MNBarb said... (8/11/10 7:33 AM) Reply
Thanks for posting. This is a great cover-up. I especially like the drawstring to make it pretend to have shape but still be very loose and comfy. I think it was the perfect garment for this fabric.
FreyaStark said... (8/11/10 5:30 AM) Reply
Very nice. The pattern looks like the sort of loose-fitting tunic-style tops Burda magazine has been offering recently so it might even work as a tunic in a light and colourful fabric and worn with a camisole underneath.
julie w said... (8/11/10 3:03 AM) Reply
What a lovely vacation garment, fabulous as well as functional. Great review, I've downloaded this and was wondering how the sizing goes.
Dmd4106 said... (8/11/10 0:45 AM) Reply
Cute cover-up! Luv the pockets. Thanks for posting.
ColorMeHome said... (8/11/10 0:34 AM) Reply
Great project! Just what I needed for my beach vacation! Love your light and airy fabric!
katie lynne said... (8/11/10 0:20 AM) Reply
What a nice looking wrap! I was wondering if it'd be worth my time to download/print/tape the pattern, but I can see it's well worth it. I love the fabric's history—you have turned fabric from what was a lemon marriage into a lemonade very cool cover-up! It looks like it's soft too...seems yummy.

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern