Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8241 (MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE DRESS A)

Reviewed by:Cosso

About Cossostar
Member since: 7/26/10
Posted on:10/22/10 8:46 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
Cosso said... (10/24/10 10:50 AM) Reply
Then we concur Renren...the casing method was dodgy... big time.....hahahaha.
renren said... (10/23/10 10:16 AM) Reply
Oh, not poking fun, oh, not at all, Cosso! I sewed a Burda tunic which used the seam allowance as the channel and I thought it was a pretty cheap and odd way of doing it, especially since I was sewing on a polyester chiffon and it was fraying itself into nothingness everytime I touched the fabric! I'm sure your way is better. Using the seam must be some "new" technique. If I ever encounter it again, I would definitely try to find another way of getting the job done! (And your daughter's dress is breathtakingly beautiful--I'll bet she received many compliments that evening!)
Cosso said... (10/23/10 5:30 AM) Reply
Renren, yes they did instruct to use the seam for the casing, you're right...were you 'poking' fun at me lol? I thought it strange for a few reasons...firstly, I just thought it would've been easier to cut the dress in LONG pieces as front and back rather than bodice and skirt - mark the casing along a couple of lines at the waist and sew. The joins and seams in the middle added to what I thought was a bit of unnecessary bulk around the waist. Having the join there made the chiffon slip a bit and catch...not difficult to deal with but just had a few bits I had to unpick. Definitely makes sense to put the casing there with the seam, but yeah, a bit bulky in spots.
marec said... (10/23/10 0:21 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress on your daughter!!
renren said... (10/22/10 2:49 PM) Reply
Hmm, I'm wondering if Vogue's odd way of doing the casing was to use the seam allowance as the channel for the elastic as on a Burda I sewed? Well, you obviously have the vision and skills to tackle any obstacle in your way as you have turned out a beautiful and alluring dress for your vivacious daughter in a wondrous, vibrant shade of blue.
Taarna said... (10/22/10 2:43 PM) Reply