Pattern Reviews> Burda> 7708 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:Annette1

About Annette1starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/04
Posted on:11/20/10 7:04 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
whistlin dixie said... (12/4/11 7:46 PM) Reply
Thanks for such a detailed review. I'm considering making this jacket. I haven't decided which version, and the information you've given will be very helpful to me. Very nice fabric, great pockets. It looks terrific on you!
Sherril Miller said... (12/5/10 2:01 AM) Reply
I adore this fabric and it made a really cute jacket.
Mahler said... (11/29/10 8:30 AM) Reply
What a great mix of fabric and pattern. The welt pockets must have been difficult to make with that fabric. Courageous one you are !
Heatherrique said... (11/26/10 9:52 AM) Reply
PIZZAZZingly, PRECISEly, and flower POWERfully gorgeous jacket, Annette! This jacket has a nice melange of retro groove and modern finesse all over it. THANK you very much for your tutorial on welts, which still terrify me. Yours look so superb that it inspired me to give it a try and hopefully more tries. Sorry that I am late coming to this party of your floral Burda venture. I saw your review earlier, but skimming over it does not make sense to me due to your VERY HELPFUL tips. I have already bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks again!
Meggie LuLu said... (11/23/10 9:11 AM) Reply
That fabric is so amazing!! I just have one question for you....where's MY jacket?!?! ;)
Rhoda K said... (11/22/10 7:36 PM) Reply
I can't add anything further so I'll ditto all the above - a great jacket and wonderful review!
Vintage Joan said... (11/22/10 5:55 PM) Reply
Gorgeous coat!! And as usual an AMAZING review.
Grammy Gin said... (11/22/10 1:10 PM) Reply
Ditto to what everyone here have/has (can't think straight yet) stated. It really is a truly wonderful garment! You are so talented. Have a wonderful & TRULY Thanksgiving Holiday this year, to you, TB & all the four legged members of your immediate family!
marjenann said... (11/22/10 7:42 AM) Reply
Exquisite work!! Artistry at its best!
Jane S said... (11/22/10 7:17 AM) Reply
Fantastic coat, delightful review and I love the collar and welt pocket details. And thanks for such great lining ideas for an unlined jacket. Excellent pairing of this gorgeous fabric and adorable pattern.
janet said... (11/21/10 8:01 PM) Reply
Love the beautious buttonholes and welt pockets. The portrait/shawl collar frames your lovely face. Your tutorials are excellent and thorough. Whats not to like? I wish you were my neighbor--what I could learn from you.
Annette1 said... (11/21/10 6:02 PM) Reply
Blondie (in Paris): It took me a long day to get everything but the collar done, and then I did that the next day, so it goes together pretty fast! And if you weren't lining it, it would be even faster. No easing of sleeve caps, no notched collar, and I THINK that collar would have been really easy if I'd done it right -- ha! :o) Thanks, everyone, for you nice comments. I hope everybody has a happy Thanksgiving. :o)
HeyJane said... (11/21/10 5:22 PM) Reply
What a fun and stylish coat for a fall day! I love the pocket treatment. This is definitely upgraded with the welt pockets. Scrumptious lining color, too!
blondieinparis said... (11/21/10 4:58 PM) Reply
Spectacular coat and great review! How long did it take you to finish this coat?
cmarie12 said... (11/21/10 11:38 AM) Reply
Annette - this is a lovely jacket! I love the fabric you chose for it!
becca a said... (11/21/10 11:34 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous coat! You write the best reviews with so much helpful information and great pictures.
Barbara V said... (11/21/10 10:30 AM) Reply
Well, you not only chose the perfect pattern to showcase your gorgeous fabric, but improved it with the change to welt pockets! The collar pleats are great! It turned out beautifully and looks wonderful on you.
Diane333 said... (11/21/10 9:54 AM) Reply
Very stunning and a terrific review.
Rebecca D said... (11/21/10 9:46 AM) Reply
You know what? You should publish a collection of your pattern reviews. They are just chock-full of information, not to mention your humor and smarts. I love this coat, love the fabric, love your changes. Classy as always.
Donna Likes Golf said... (11/21/10 8:46 AM) Reply
I just love this! You did an excellent job and your review is very thorough. I so like the pleats in the collar - great picture to show those BTW. The fabric is gorgeous too and you made it work great, showing it and the great design details of the pattern perfectly. Excellent job!
Nan Kay said... (11/21/10 8:44 AM) Reply
Splendid coat, your welt pockets look perfect, and I really like the colors.
eugenia123 said... (11/21/10 8:14 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket that is going to brighten up the dull days of winter for all who see you! The fabric is beautiful - the colours and print are just lovely. As always, you have managed to turn an ordinary pattern into a stellar garment. Changing the pockets from patch to welt was inspired - it moves the jacket from casual to elegant and your explanation of how you worked the welts is extremely helpful. I particularly love the pleated collar - trust you to spot such a beautiful style element and make the most of it!
Margaret said... (11/21/10 4:25 AM) Reply
Your coat looks *wonderful*. Thank you for the very detailed review! I think matching the stripes on the inside worked out really well, and the welts are great. I have this pattern too and if I get around to sewing it, will have to consider doing welts.
sew2little said... (11/21/10 1:28 AM) Reply
Annette--a beautiful marriage of fabric, pattern, and workwomanship. Lovely.
FreyaStark said... (11/21/10 1:05 AM) Reply
Wow! A wonderfully, highly distinctive garment, and a fine effort, especially adding welt pockets.
Mermie said... (11/21/10 0:20 AM) Reply
Your coat is gorgeous and as usual, your review is so thorough, so detailed and just excellent.
marec said... (11/21/10 0:20 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for your wordiness! :-) I love your coat with its fun fall colors and excellent workmanship. I am saving this review to study while traveling this winter. I am always inspired by your work.
carolynw said... (11/20/10 11:30 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous - I can see myself in this during our dreary winter so even though I don't have any fabric right now that I love as much as this I am going to get the pattern and then hunt up some gorgeous fabric and hope it comes out as nice as yours. I just am so in love with this - I love jackets that don't put a strangle hold on your neck. Your review is super helpful so I don't think I will have any problems when I get to sewing this. Great job Annette and the coat looks wonderful - really, really wonderful, on you.
marjoriekh said... (11/20/10 11:18 PM) Reply
What an enjoyable review with just tons of useful information. I love to read stories of people just "winging it" while sewing. Turned out beautifully, and I love that it's home dec fabric.
Peggy L said... (11/20/10 10:26 PM) Reply
Great review - love the jacket and all the details. Those "fall" colors look great on you. I'll review those pocket details again before I attempt to do them on my current project.
Elaine Dougan said... (11/20/10 9:02 PM) Reply
Wonderful review. Thank you for all the detail.
AnneMarie60 said... (11/20/10 8:27 PM) Reply
Wow! Love the collar pleats and the richness the texture and warm colors of your fabric lend. Excellent review! Enjoy your fabulous jacket!
Catbird said... (11/20/10 7:58 PM) Reply
Yes, the queen rules in the Kindgom of Jackets! Coats! Whatever! :-)) You picked a challenging fabric for details like welt pockets and a pleat in the collar, but you made it look effortless. I think the whole pocket construction is brilliant. You've done a beautiful job and have made distinctive coat that will take you through any cold Nebraska day in style! Super-excellent review.
Karendee said... (11/20/10 7:36 PM) Reply
My goodness, what a thorough review! I will save these welt pocket and lining tutorials and hopefully never have to use them. LOL, they are above my head but certainly something to work toward. Seriously, they are excellent tutorials that will be invaluable when needed. This coat is truly special with the silky look of the fabric, clever stylized print, and wonderful design. You look glorious in this color palette and style. Thanks again for this great review!!!!! The coat queen is in action again, to quote Catbird.
Christas said... (11/20/10 7:19 PM) Reply
There is a perfectly good reason why we have nicknamed you "The Jacket Queen" and this jacket is a wonderful example. It is just beautiful! Whatever you *think* you did wrong in the instructions certainly doesn't show. The jacket looks absolutely PERFECT to me. As far as I am concerned they should have made the instructions to mirror the way you did your jacket. That fabric is certainly a winner and so very perfect for the pattern. Your review is another excellent one ...... so much I can learn! Love those gorgeous welt pockets too!
Kbenco said... (11/20/10 7:13 PM) Reply
A totally gorgeous fun coat in my favourite autumn colours. This fabric would be completely wasted as home dec IMO. The collar looks as if it worked out perfectly, and that window around the welt, invisible as it is, will stop the inside of the pocket from pooching, and a pooching pocket is a bad thing, ask me how I know. Great review, thank you.

by: FreyaStark