Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Burda> Frostline Kit (not Burda) (Down Vest from a Frostline Kit)

Reviewed by:AnitaJJ

About AnitaJJstar
FL USA
Member since: 7/6/08
Posted on:12/13/10 5:18 PM
Last Updated:12/13/10 5:23 PM

KensingtonCrab said... (12/14/10 11:27 AM) Reply
Did you ever think you would need a down vest in FL?? So glad you held onto it! My first items were self drafted tote bags and purses and clothes for my trolls made out of felt but first 'big' project was a red and white striped flannel nightgown in home ec class.
fuzzygalore said... (12/14/10 7:51 AM) Reply
They have 'other' as a company :-). Those kits were good, especially the individual tubes that let you stuff the thing without getting more down in your hair than into the vest..
Ellenatlga said... (12/14/10 6:43 AM) Reply
My mother used to sew these for us, yes you're right, it was about 30 years ago. I remember her using a lit candle to keep the edges from fraying by melting the nylon! and, oh the feathers! they went flying everywhere! I'm pretty sure they still have every jacket and parka she made those many years ago. Thanks for the wonderful trip down memory lane :)
Jane S said... (12/14/10 1:45 AM) Reply
I nver made anything from a Frostline kit but I definitely remember reading about them! Did the down come in bags, too? I had a weekly "sewing group" with my teaching girlfriends (mostly needlework) and I believe one of them made a parka. Wow, what a recommendation for their good design!
SueV said... (12/14/10 0:36 AM) Reply
Oh, I use to sew from a company called Alta, that did these kits too. Sew much fun!
Patti B said... (12/13/10 9:46 PM) Reply
I sewed Frostline kits when we lived in Alaska -- wonder why. They were excellent kits and I wish I had the down vest. I finally finished the heavy parka for DH 10 yrs ago since we had moved back to California before I got his sewn.
Nancy Rhodes said... (12/13/10 7:25 PM) Reply
I made a bicycle bag that hang from the handlebars of my 10-speed.. yes all you youngin's 10 gears only! and skinny tires and a molded leather seat that was hard as a 2 x 4 turned on edge. Frostline! are they still in business???? Kit had all the stuff... thread even.
Cadienne said... (12/13/10 5:34 PM) Reply
One of these down vest kits was the VERY FIRST sewing project I made! I need to take some pics and post it. I still wear it.

More Knits
More Knits

by: julliams

New Look A6170

by: Sew Nanny

Lazy Girl Designs Slicker Tote Paper Pattern

Lazy Girl Designs Slicker Tote Paper Pattern

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)