Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8634 (Misses' Top)

Reviewed by:Annette1

About Annette1starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/04

Best Patterns of 2010
Posted on:12/19/10 3:54 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

CarolynGM said... (6/18/11 6:46 AM) Reply
Awesome review -- You illustrated and described your pattern changes wonderfully. Both tops are lovely.
pammieh said... (1/2/11 0:12 AM) Reply
I love this top on you!
1SewSweet said... (1/1/11 8:57 PM) Reply
I love this top Annette!!! I have this pattern too and what I made, I assure you doesn't look anything like this...if it had, it wouldn't be a dust rag now!! I'm going to try it again using your technique! Thanks for the tip, love your work!
KathySews said... (1/1/11 12:03 PM) Reply
how did I miss this? another great, fun read. I also love the red
JETrinity said... (12/29/10 6:41 PM) Reply
I think I agree with fuzzygalore. Lower the seam in the front. Some other people have done that. I checked PR and 11 people kept the front seam and had no major alterations. However, 6 people eliminated the front seam and 3 had major alterations. I believe this seam holds the pattern and cowl together.
blue mooney said... (12/22/10 12:29 PM) Reply
Great review - nice animal print that isn't too too. The neckline is lovely!
Margaret said... (12/22/10 8:59 AM) Reply
Both tops look great on you! Thanks for all the fit info. I also find that Vogues often have skinny sleeves compared to some other brands.
Catbird said... (12/20/10 4:02 PM) Reply
What an epic! I'm always amazed when I read through your process and then compare that to the effortless elegance of the finished product -- I think most people would end up with a mess on their hands, but you've made two GORGEOUS tops! I love them equally. The tamed collar on the animal print one is very beautiful, and the free collar on the red one is beautiful in a whole different way. The darts were a brilliant idea, too. Well, my comment is becoming longer than your excellent review, so I'd better stop now. :-)) Great work!! Oh wait, one more thing -- I love your hair!
Heatherrique said... (12/20/10 2:06 PM) Reply
Yowza! I wish that I purchased this pattern at the last JA's sale... On a musical note, it is not so coincidental that while starting to read your review, Justin Timberlake's hit song from a few years ago (I like the melody, but not the not-so-conservative lyrics) started playing in the background. I'll change JT's lyrics to "YOU bring the GLAMOUR back...." Thanks for a very informative and fun review.
fuzzygalore said... (12/20/10 1:39 PM) Reply
Let me be contrary, and say that while you do look gorgeous in the red, the taupe is such a wonderful color with your hair that it'd be too bad to pass it up.. Maybe it'd have been easier to lower the badly-placed empire seam, and do an fba so that you had a few gathers under the bust, or a couple small pleats? Then you wouldn't have had to do so much :-). Empire seams are a big-busted girl's friends I think, if you can put them where they belong.
sewtime said... (12/20/10 12:36 PM) Reply
LOVE your top!!
Grammy Gin said... (12/20/10 8:17 AM) Reply
You look really gorgeous in the red one...you know that is your true color!! You look good in the animal print as well, but you know! Wishing you & Tim a very Merry Christmas & a HEALTHY New Year.
MNBarb said... (12/20/10 7:15 AM) Reply
This is such a good neckline for you. Both tops are perfect.
michellep74 said... (12/19/10 10:06 PM) Reply
Great top! I love the neckline on this!
callmeRuth said... (12/19/10 9:38 PM) Reply
Beautiful!!
Barbara V said... (12/19/10 8:58 PM) Reply
Gosh....I love both of your tops! You look fabulous in both of them, especially the red. And "pin in the eye" !?! Thanks for the chuckles! Great review with many helpful tips. Merry Christmas!
carolynw said... (12/19/10 8:20 PM) Reply
Beautiful tops - love the red on you!! Great review as always - have a wonderful Christmas Annette and keep on inspiring me to sew!! Love the new sassy hair
Meggie LuLu said... (12/19/10 7:42 PM) Reply
These tops are soooooo pretty!!!! Your hair looks very beautiful, btw!! =)
Karendee said... (12/19/10 7:29 PM) Reply
Another wonderful top made in record breaking time. Your speed and workmanship is absolutely amazing. Thanks, also, for the excellent information about altering a ragland sleeve pattern. I always learn so much from your reviews and appreciate all the information told with wit. This is a special pattern that looks so very good on you.
janet said... (12/19/10 7:00 PM) Reply
You look BEAUTIOUS in you red top! It makes you look mucho SLIM and ELEGANT. Great fitting SAVE with your french darts. WONDERFUL, THOROUGH review--lots of tips and tricks. Wish I had bought this pattern at the Joann's sale today. Your review, along with Christas made me turn the corner on this pattern. Now I can not wait to make this up!
FreyaStark said... (12/19/10 6:44 PM) Reply
A fabulous top. It looks great! Another sewing triumph for you.
Terri A said... (12/19/10 6:07 PM) Reply
Pin in the eye? You are so funny! Great make and thx for the extra info on the sleeves...
Rhonda in Montreal said... (12/19/10 5:12 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!!! AND the tops, too ;) Especially the RED--it SNAPS!! ;)
Sweetiebop said... (12/19/10 4:52 PM) Reply
Merry Christmas young lady. Another great review and fabulous tops. I really like that fabric too. My computer is so slow and I just pulled up the red top which definitely shows the essence of Annette (bright and cheery).
rivergum said... (12/19/10 4:29 PM) Reply
This top looks great on you, Annette. I love, love, love the fabric! You always look so elegant in everything you make.
Christas said... (12/19/10 4:16 PM) Reply
Another fun and informative review by you! I love both tops, but the RED one is my favorite. Red is YOUR color for sure! You are soooo speedy. I figure I complete one garment to every ten of yours. Your new tops make me want to sew another top from this wonderful pattern. Love the new hairdo too!
RLL said... (12/19/10 4:09 PM) Reply
As usual, this is great on you...especially the red. You look SO good in red!

StyleArc Debra Zebra Top