Pattern Reviews> Other> Classic Dog Collar (Classic Dog Collar)

Reviewed by:khurtdvm

About khurtdvmstarstar
Member since: 8/6/04
Posted on:1/15/11 11:08 PM
Last Updated:3/16/11 10:40 AM

craftygamma said... (3/17/11 8:50 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. It really set my creative wheels turning! I can see several future dog collars, for gifts and possibly to sell. Could be a pet shelter fund raiser. The possibilities are endless.
treefrog said... (3/16/11 7:50 PM) Reply
Love the fabric. I can see why your fiend liked the Beatles versions
jannw said... (3/16/11 2:10 PM) Reply
How cute..what lucky dogs..so classy!!
khurtdvm said... (1/21/11 10:23 PM) Reply
This was a regular woven cotton print and a fusible interfacing. Duck cloth may be too bulky (it gets folded four times), although if you have a "tough" enough machine, it might be all right.
SandiMacD said... (1/21/11 7:51 AM) Reply
Thanks for the details on fabric/interfacing. Did you go with a regular cotton woven and sew-in interfacing? I am also thinking of denim or duck but may be too stretchy?
treefrog said... (1/16/11 7:30 PM) Reply
Fantastic! You've done a great job and I like the idea of having cloth rather than nylon for the straps. I think my dog is giving me subtle hints that he would like one!
Michele Lommasson said... (1/16/11 4:28 PM) Reply
Very nice. I love that website. They have great hardware, everything I need for my dogs, from my 4 1/4 pound chihuahua all the way up to my 90 pound mixed breed and the basenjis in between.
khurtdvm said... (1/16/11 3:44 PM) Reply
This uses heavy weight interfacing, and it is effectively quadrupled. You cut the fabric/interfacing 4x the width that you want the finished product, then fold and press in half, then open up and fold/press each side in half to meet in the middle. Ends up looking like really thick double-fold bias tape. My dog doesn't pull really hard on the leash, but I think this is strong enough to withstand hard pulls.
wildberrymom said... (1/16/11 1:13 PM) Reply
You are expanding my sewing horizons to include my dog--nicely done.
Terri A said... (1/16/11 4:46 AM) Reply
I really like this. My dog could use several!
AnitaJ said... (1/16/11 3:47 AM) Reply
Very nice! This sounds easier to work with than webbing and opens up so many print possibilities by using cotton fabrics. Seems like it might be more comfortable for the pooch too. :)
SandiMacD said... (1/16/11 1:02 AM) Reply
I make lots of seasonal collars. Have been using 1" poly and covered it 1" ribbon sewn down each side. I use hardware from the previous collar. Have thought lately about trying to make with fabric. Is it strong enough to withstand strong pulls on a leash? Does the fabric loose strength over time? Is it doubled or tripled or just one layer? Looks like it would be softer and not as scratchy as the poly webbing.

Grainline Studio Hemlock Tee